Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

In terms of generally being known, Dr Dre probably beats 'em all.

Sean, ARK, Maurice and 6 others like this.
  2. Willy J

Willy J Forum Resident

Good call: Quincy Jones might edge out Rubin for man-on-the-street name recognition, but my guess is it’d depend on the street. Spector certainly has them both beat—between Wall Of Sound and shooting people he’s probably the most famous producer ever—but is disqualified for not being alive. If personal fame were directly correlated to the fame and quality of the work Martin would be a similarly ubiquitous name, but I don’t think he is (and he is similarly disqualified for deadness).

Greenalishi and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  3. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Johnny Cash’s American Recordings albums are another example, perhaps the most high-profile.

WhatDoIKnow, Sean, ARK and 2 others like this.
  4. Willy J

Willy J Forum Resident

Absolutely, but I think he may be disqualified in this contest because you can’t really separate his fame as a producer from his fame as a musician—his name is front and center in a way most of these other guys aren’t.

WarEagleRK and bRETT like this.
  5. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Let's not forget, TP/Rubin's beauty, "Wildflowers" Also, She's The One/Angel Dream and Echo.

WhatDoIKnow, Sean, Sigma6 and 9 others like this.
  6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Pharrell Williams/The Neptunes?

Mark Ronson?

Sean, ARK, Big Blue and 2 others like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Perfect for a hip hop haircut.

jumpinjulian and ET3311 like this.
  8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Both had their moments in the sun and we’re seemingly everywhere but have faded…Dre has been a known commodity for decades.

Big Blue likes this.
  9. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

I’m interested in the Neil/Rubin thing. I really don’t think Neil is hands-off enough to let anything get brickwalled if that’s what people are worried about. I thought what Rubin did for Cash’s career with the first couple American albums was beautiful, and those are great albums.

I like the idea of Neil at least having a producer to bounce things off of and get some feedback. I liked Le Noise a lot, though I don’t expect Rubin to be as active as that.

If it turns out that Rubin really is laying on the couch and making the occasional suggestion or whatever… maybe it won’t contribute much, but it couldn’t hurt either.

I liked Colorado and I liked Barn, and I’m in for this one. But it’d be cool if he’s got another real gem in there.

Sean, Greenalishi, Alan57 and 3 others like this.
  10. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Part of the reason we love David Briggs' production is the way he brought out the best in Neil.

His production style was what we might call "transparent". Yes, he had a distinctive style—but that style was to get the best song and performance out of the band, and then record it in the most realistic, "colourful", and close-to-the-ear way.

(Many of the production techniques we associate with Neil's classic signature-sound are actually David's influence—but we don't notice them as such, because the sounds are all Neil.)

So the production of Toast is very influenced by Briggs' style. Yes, there are flourishes of colour to the sound—many creative vocal overdubs, organ overdubs, flashes of piano. But these are all 100% Neil and Crazy Horse.

We can notice how this sort of production is an art in itself—and one that few people are good at. The producer makes his impact by bringing out a sound that is close to the heart of the artist. Sort of professional coaching crossed with psychology and a mastery of sound engineering!

This is a little different to what Daniel Lanois does.

Musicians don't usually go to Daniel Lanois to sound like more like themselves—they go to him to sound more like Daniel Lanois.

That's an easier style of production to market. And if you're thinking of becoming a producer (or actor, or session musician, or writer) then that might be the smartest career path to emulate.

I'm just not sure it's the one that brings out the best in Neil Young's music.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  11. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I picked up this news in a different thread and actually did the exact same thing as you!

Great minds.

Fantastic haul.

davenav likes this.
  12. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I’m curious more than anything else about World Record. Pump Organ funk, instant spontaneous lyrics supposedly written on the spot and of course the involvement of Rick Rubin which depending on your personal feelings, could go either way. There are some parallels, but I can’t help but be reminded about Living with War which was a dashed off album if there ever was one. Overall, Neil’s albums with Crazy Horse have been his highlights this century. There’s a lot to admire and love about Americana, Psychedelic Pill, Colorado and Barn. Throw in Toast, a hidden gem and perhaps my favorite of this century and it’s about the best we could hope for from Neil. World Record could be a giant misstep or a bizarre and twisted masterpiece. Neil is a box of chocolates, I don’t know what to expect from him except for whatever he does, we’ll be talking about it for a long time.

13. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Rick is a good producer. Big fat vintage sounds and urging the artist to get back to the roots and guts of the music. Like as if Jack White had also done the Beastie Boys. I think it sounds like a great pairing.

14. I find Rick is definitely more commercial and current and leans towards a certain “bigness” of sound. Whereas, Lanois is more nuanced and contributes a certain chimera to sound processing regardless of artist’s non/commercial approach.

Greenalishi and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I'm not disputing that, I'm disputing the notion that Rubin is the nearest thing to a household name producer. I think there are better known alternatives, including Quincy Jones who was also mentioned earlier.

Big Blue likes this.
  16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Rubin is one of the few producers whom I use to make a point of giving a listen to any album that bears his name....from Run DMC, Slayer, The Cult in the mid eighties through to Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, Mick Jagger....there is a quality to those albums beyond production....when artists work with him, they do seem to raise their game in terms of song writing and performing. I reckon I had heard every album he produced up to 2005/2007 and I own quite a number.

However its been almost a decade since I heard an album he was associated with that I loved (and that was Sabbath).....so I will be interested to hear this collaboration for a number of reasons

17. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

If this album ends up being a bust, it might be more on Neil than Rick Rubin. I’m dying to hear what pump organ funk coupled with lyrics that are immediate and instant sound like. We won’t be able to hang that on Rick Rubin.

Sean, ARK, tug_of_war and 1 other person like this.
  18. Yeah I also think it could be a very good pairing. The only other producer I'd like to see Neil (or many other legacy artists) work with is T Bone Burnett.

Sean, ARK, Alan57 and 1 other person like this.
  19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Good point about Lanoise. I also think artists go to T-Bone Burnett to sound more like T-Bone Burnett

Greenalishi likes this.
  20. onlycastlesburning

onlycastlesburning it’s all one song

I'd love to see Neil work with Lanois again, but honestly, I wish he'd just stick with Hanlon. Hanlon's records sound the most like Briggs in terms of capturing the music.

ChuckNOS and Six Bachelors like this.
  21. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I think Dave Cobb could get some good stuff out of Neil.

Big Blue, Sean, DaveJ and 2 others like this.
  22. TurnerTrunk444

TurnerTrunk444 Well "Moo" To You Too!

Alright everyone, I've just come across this thread, let me know now, which album title sounds better: "World Record" or "Nuggets"? The new one is called "Nuggets" according to Thrasher's Wheat:

Neil Young News: Rick Rubin & Neil Young Tease Their New Music For Jack White | Broken Record

One of which, I like better concerning the fact Neil seems to want to get environmental again, and I do like the wordplay: ("World Record"), but the other: ("Nuggets") follows the one word straight to the point mannerism of previous albums "Colorado" "Barn"

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  23. onlycastlesburning

onlycastlesburning it’s all one song

I feel like “Nuggets” is based on an old interview. That Jack White interview doesn’t seem current. Whereas just the other day Neil said in a letter reply something like “there’s a record coming about the world” (bold denotes the pink type he’s been using to tease song titles).

ET3311 likes this.
  24. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

Sean, tug_of_war, ExHead and 2 others like this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

ExHead and ET3311 like this.