Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. There were some details posted on one of the threads that the Ducks and Rainbow Official Bootleg Series releases are coming out on 28 October.So expect this a month or so after that.
    It has seemed for a while that Archives Volume 3 has been pushed back until 2023.Because there are no constraints on CD or Blu-ray production and the mastering was completed sometime ago I’m guessing this may be due to packaging production issues particularly the big book in the deluxe.

The last big name producer Neil worked with from outside his regular team was Daniel Lanois who brought a lot to the table.Le Noise is my favourite Neil album of that decade.
    I look at what Rubin did with Petty and Cash as proof he knows how to produce heritage acts to their advantage.Also that he held his ground over the obvious boring song choices that were going to fill the CSN covers album.Beatles Karaoke anyone?

Exactly what I think but don’t have the patience to type.

WhatDoIKnow, JasonA and Big Blue like this.
  2. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I am so much more interested in what these artists have to sat in their late twilights. This is new territory. I am bored hearing about the desires and worries from the point of view of young men. We have lived in that artistic space for eternity, and it will always be so. Young men today write about the same things that young men always write about. Only now have we finally given a platform to the elderly that can reach beyond the grandchildren in the family. Neil and McCartney have very specific points of view, and seem driven to continue making new music that addresses who they are at the moment. This insight is way too culturally valuable to write off because they can no longer reach their prime peak performance levels. Where does an old hippie end up, philosophically? Where does the man who was appalled by Kent State stand today? Does the artist who wrote Old Man as a young man, have anything to add? How do you reconcile that first cigarette detailed in I Am A Child, when looking at 80?

I will not feel that the great renaissance of the 1960s is really over until all of the principals are gone. So, yeah my point of view is that the archive things will compile themselves in the future, and as tech gets better we will be able to create immersive, expansive mixes from nearly anything. The archive packages we get in the future will no doubt sound better than the ones we get today. I'd prefer that these artists focused on creating new things while they can.

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Rick Rubin? I thought Neil cared about SQ.

andrewskyDE, BS101, CHALKERS and 5 others like this.
  4. But I’m a fan from Neil’s generation and will be dead before that happens.There’s no reason these heritage acts can’t do both wile most of their long term audience is still alive.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Does that not say July 7th, 2022 at the top left of the piece ?

How was that info. not brought in here before today ? I even did a search...nothing. Odd.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Why I skipped Noise And Flowers. It becomes pointless for me after a while. Some of my fellow Elvis fans don't get that about me.

Big Blue likes this.
  7. david gunderman

david gunderman ZosoDreamer

Rockin’ in the Free World…dig it!

8. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

can’t wait.

9. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Bring it on!

abzach likes this.
  10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Mr. sound quality released "A Letter Home," so...

TonyACT, ARK, Bob J and 5 others like this.
  11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

12. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Have you listened to Noise and Flowers? He clearly doesn't.

ARK, klockwerk, WhatDoIKnow and 4 others like this.
  13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Okay so the sound is going to suck, we can just concentrate on the potential of the new music and how many archive releases are going to get bumped back.

NunoBento likes this.
  14. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I doubt Neil will secede mastering to Rick. But here's hoping Rick has the balls to tell Neil to take lyrics to a 2nd draft.

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I agree, I was summarizing the negative posts previous to mine. ;)

Big Blue likes this.
  16. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

He is just a producer.

17. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Is thus going to be an annual thing? Seems like yesterday we got "Barn".

18. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Interesting take. I’m younger, so my perspective is a little different, and for me it’s not so much about hearing from the elderly as it is me wanting to hear what Neil, an artist whose work I enjoy, is thinking and feeling now. I also do like hearing what he was thinking and feeling 30, 40, 50 years ago, but I have those records already for when I want to hear that. I’m glad he’s still giving us new, current stuff, even if some of it could probably do with an editor (which I think has always been true for Neil).

Skylarkblue, Turbo2k, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  19. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I’ve only played barn a couple times… Neil is on fire!

TonyACT, aphexj, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  20. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I’m pretty much happy with anything that Neil decides to put out, new or archive related. I’m cautiously optimistic about World Record. It pretty much comes down to if Neil has the songs or not. I enjoyed the last two albums with Crazy Horse. But somehow I feel as if they left something on the table, like it was unfinished or incomplete. Let’s hope Rick Rubin can bring something out in Neil.

21. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It was the first thing running through my mind when I saw this thread! I some how find it impossible to phantom a brick walled Neil Young record though.

The Hud likes this.
  22. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I can't keep track of all his releases.

milankey, andrewskyDE, texron and 4 others like this.
  23. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

is this a complaint or a praise?

TonyACT, tug_of_war, ARK and 6 others like this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

While I didn’t like every song on Barn, I liked enough of them to be excited about this new record. I do admire Neil simply for keeping going. His productivity and creativity is pretty incredible.

TonyACT, Skylarkblue, Sean and 3 others like this.
  25. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Neither, but if I have to choose it'd be a complaint.

andrewskyDE, ARK and vegafleet like this.