Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I think we have very similar taste in Neil! I also really liked Storytone. I’ll have to revisit The Visitor. I liked a few songs on Barn, but it didn’t hit me like this new one.

warewolf95, ET3311, Ryan Lux and 2 others like this.
  2. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

You said you prefer Neil's mellower side. So do I. :cheers:

warewolf95 and palisantrancho like this.
  3. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Greendale, Toast, Psychedelic Pill and Le Noise are miles in the front. World Record, Peace Trail and Colorado are solid too with many highlights. Toast just fits in to that timeframe and that is a top 10 NY for me. Lots more highlights since the year 2000 with out Neil just need to give these albums mentioned a good go on a loud system.

Edit: I enjoy Prairie Wind too. I actually only really can't vibe with Storytone, A Letter Home and those couple POTR studio albums (although Noise and Flowers is great stuff!)

4. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

This thread that I started has a lot of good posts that might be of interest to you:

Rate your Neil Young albums from 2000

It’s about 3 years old now though (and locked) and a lot of new releases have come out in that time.

Time for a new one, anyone.,,,,,?

5. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

In an era where every music maker seems to be lusting after fat, in-your-face saturated tones only, you gotta love the sound of these last three records. So much space.

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yep, nothing weak and a well thought out flow. I’ve placed ‘The World (Is In Trouble Now) into my Neil Super Buffet playlist. I love the rambunctious of it; the vocal, the pump organ…just everything. Last year the jump-out-at-me song was ‘They Might Be Lost’ so this pick is completely different.

7. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

A new Neil Young album is still cause for celebration. World Record fits in nicely with Colorado and Barn. World Record is Neil’s State of the Union address 2022. Usually I’m fairly ambivalent about his single subject/issue albums like Living With War, Fork in the Road or The Monsanto Years but World Record seems a little bit more focused and cohesive than the aforementioned albums. I was holding out hope that this album would be Neil’s American Recordings, but it’s not. Perhaps if Neil with his guitar and piano was alone in the studio with Rick Rubin. Neil owes us nothing. His release schedule makes my head spin. Just think, we have Archives III, the Ducks and Under the Rainbow to look forward to in 2023 and that’s what we know of. I hope he never slows down.

laf848, Dradge, warewolf95 and 11 others like this.
  8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

nice to read this thread as i wait for my popmarket order to be delivered. seems there are 2 camps:

"hey, this record is pretty good. i like it!"
    "neil's done as a creative force, and if you like this record you're stupid".

9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D Same as always

10. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Great to read the positive feedback on World Record. I acquired Barn last year and enjoyed it equally as the previous Colorado set. I'll have to also check out Toast and The Ducks and Under the Rainbow when they're available. The Archives sets I have yet to pick up but that'll be a bit further down the line. Neil has so much to give from past and present years and his prolific tendency(either good or bad) never ceases to amaze. :edthumbs:

11. buddachile

buddachile Forum Resident

It's like there's no artistry in the words. They aren't lyrics, their just word expressions in a basic, literal form.

katstep likes this.
  12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

"they're"

13. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

“no more war, only love”

Horrible political message that Mr. Skin should never be forced to hear!!!

Dradge, ARK, 420JJJazz666 and 4 others like this.
  14. Alright4now

you could say the same thing about his old lyrics. “Only love can break your heart”. Duh. No spit, sherlock! But it works cause its neil.

Perhaps Neil hasn’t changed. Maybe it’s you.

GregK, borderwolf, Zeki and 1 other person like this.
  15. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I've played it at least 10 times. Sounds better on every listen. I was surprised my vinyl is clear. I didn't think Neil did the color vinyl thing.

16. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Did you get the clear or the black vinyl?

17. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Again, no commentary on World Record, but I think “Only love can break your heart” is a fine dynamic lyric that captures a lot, in deceptively simple form.

Rewriting it to eliminate Neil’s artistry, we might come up with something like “love hurts if you’re not careful” — which hopefully demonstrates how superior the original is!

Big Blue likes this.
  18. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Finally got to spin this just now. I’m a fan!

Few things in music make me happier than Old Black through a Deluxe.

19. Alright4now

I never suggested that it be rewritten. Its a simple effective lyric. But it ain’t no brilliant artistic statement.

20. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Man, the Chevrolet song is a total keeper. Love it, love it. What a sound!

21. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Wait, what? You’re joking, I hope. One reason CDs are so much better than vinyl is that you don’t have to get up and turn over the record after 20 minutes.

22. Picked it up at a local so it’s clear

palisantrancho and apple-richard like this.
  23. Doesn’t it sound amazing ? Wow.

24. paw

paw Forum Resident

His best from last 20...
    Toast
    Greendale
    Chrome Dreams II
    Psychedelic Pill
    The Visitor
    Colorado

palisantrancho likes this.
  25. If we’re playing that game then in order.
    Le Noise
    Psychedelic Pill
    Greendale
    Chrome Dreams II
    Storytone
    PS Toast was from more than 20 years ago.You can’t make released in a criteria as that would bring in all the Archives releases.

palisantrancho and ET3311 like this.