Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. peachtruck

peachtruck Forum Resident

It's a hell of a lot more listenable.

2. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Glad I’m not the only one underwhelmed by Dylan’s most recent original release.

When I first heard “Murder Most Foul,” I thought Billy Joel already did this one better and R.E.M. really did it a whole lot better decades ago.

JoeRockhead, ted321 and peachtruck like this.
  3. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

lol I never realized how much Neil's speaking voice sounds like Kermit the Frog :D

4. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I completely understand for anyone not wanting to tour of the age of 77, coming off a pandemic or not. I’d be just as happy to see Neil stream a live show from the Barn with the Horse and or some friends and family. If he doesn’t want to do that, that’s equally as understandable. Neil has given us so much. I can’t think of any other artist who is as generous with his archives as Neil is. He owes us nothing.

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

When I first started listening to Neil Young I had Like A Hurricane on and my brother stuck his head in the room and said "man, Kermit The Frog sure can play the guitar".

6. onlycastlesburning

onlycastlesburning it’s all one song

It would be cool if they did more livestream concerts.

andyediewatt and jv66 like this.
  7. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Do you/we know what other differences there are? I'm heavily inclined to grab the LP of this, even though it's a bit expensive. I bought the cassette to play in the garage and love the album. I'd rather get a 'different' version if getting two different formats. I know Chevrolet is shorter or whatever. I heard/see Neil mentioning that for CD/Digital they had more time so added more, but I wasn't sure what details are available on those specifics.

8. ra7968

ra7968 Chips & Queso

I have a feeling that Rick (or likely his minions) did a lot of behind the scenes work on this album that Neil was not aware of. Rick has a reputation to protect and he got a great sound from the band. If you listen to the interviews, Neil seems to think most of the tunes on the record were first takes. In Billy and Nils' interviews they contradict that. Then there were the described episodes that recounted how the first couple of weeks had a lot of mistakes but when they heard the playback some weeks later, planning to do re-takes, everything magically sounded great the first time. The mistakes were magically gone. I think it was Rick's elves doing their jobs. Just a hypothesis.

9. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Chevrolet is a great song, but it doesn't fit with the rest. The Wonder Won't Wait basically closes the record.

10. borderwolf

borderwolf prisoner of rock'n'roll

Maybe Break The Chain too, doesn't fit. Of course we can consider that it comes from the Barn era. Anyway, I like World Record!

Heart of Gold likes this.
  11. NH147

NH147 Forum Resident

If I could keep 10 dylan songs from his entire body of work murder most foul would be one of them. It casts a spell over me.

Chevrolet is fine enough, but not yet having the effect that the longer PP songs had, let alone the top tier stuff.

I thought World Record got off to a good start but it then started to grate on me. Will give it another go soon. These last three have all left me with the same feeling. Some good, some bad, nothing great. There is a very good album across the three I suspect.

Six Bachelors and Zeki like this.
  12. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Totally agree. Murder Most Foul is a masterwork and Chevrolet is another 15-minute Crazy Horse workout that doesn't come close to the best Crazy Horse workouts.

Six Bachelors, Zeki and dtuck90 like this.
  13. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Agreed, I like Chevrolet, but can easily think of 10 other, better Crazy Horse songs.

Six Bachelors and dtuck90 like this.
  14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Sure, there must be at least 10 songs I’d still take over “Chevrolet”, but I could also come up with easily 100 Dylan Songs I like more than “Murder Most Foul”. And that’s not the comparison, anyway. I’d definitely rather listen to “Chevrolet” than “Murder Most Foul”. But we’re really only mentioning these together because they were put on separate CDs even though there was still room on the first CD, right? They really have nothing at all in common, other than that…

15. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Well said....I've loved Neil since 1966..he's like a brother to me with all the music of his I have collected since then (so much is ingrained in my soul)...for what it's worth.

:righton:

Boswell likes this.
  16. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

They kind of skirt around why they went to digital at all, and the entire time they were talking about it, I was thinking to myself “to fix the mistakes”. Neil also mentions Pro Tools and Waging Heavy Peace to fix CH’s mistakes.

17. Atron78

Atron78 Well-Known Member

That is the only reason I compared them, indeed.

Big Blue likes this.
  18. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Watched the Chevrolet clip on YouTube, I’ve come to accept the fact that greatness does indeed pass.

19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I assume this was covered over these many oages, but an explanation why an album this short was spread over two Cds. And on another note, the HD download sounds very nice.

Atron78 likes this.
  20. Tony Glass

Tony Glass Forum Resident

I got my LP copies (accidentally ordered it twice) the other day but haven't had a moment to listen to it yet. Never received a download code for either order or my Harvest deluxe order that just shipped. I understand the physical shipment getting slow during the holidays, but digital codes? :shake:

21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

well, it's my favorite crazy horse track from 2022, and that's good enough for me.

adamos, highway, Tom Daniels and 6 others like this.
  22. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

They are two songs by incredible, long-lived legends. They’re very long, they’re very late career efforts. And they’re both by old guys with questionable hygiene that you probably wouldn’t want to end up sitting next to you on the bus.

23. Detroit Music Fan

If that is the case that edits were made to smooth mistakes over, and if it is also true that the vinyl is different than the CD because the vinyl master had to be cut sooner due to scheduling, then comparing vinyl to CD should reveal some of these alleged edits, right?

highway and ET3311 like this.
  24. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

possibly. I’m sure even the vinyl has lots of corrections too.

25. Detroit Music Fan

Anybody else find it humorous that Neil Young’s latest CD is the final product and his latest vinyl record kind of isn’t, that they were still tinkering with the LP after it went to vinyl? So, the alleged inferior format or a format which if done wrongly can sound inferior is Neil’s latest and greatest? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I love Neil, I just don’t think his opinion on sound quality is entirely objective or scientifically provable, and it tickles my funny bone.

Atron78, Harm1985 and Big Blue like this.