Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

To be fair, Neil has been OK with digital for quite some time now, as long as it’s not lossy or compressed.

I’ve only listened to the whole album on LP, but I did listen to “Chevrolet” lossless streaming one time, as well. Not close enough to pick out differences, and I’m not that familiar with the track yet, anyway, but it does sound very good in both formats.

Mazzy and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  2. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Probably mentioned before; but the abum was edited digitally (which is probably when Rubin fixed some of the 'mistakes') and then mixed to analog: Neil Young Archives

So a digital step and not truly AAA.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

I noticed there is no deluxe edition (CD+LP+DVD or Blu-ray) of World Record? What is the reasoning behind this?
    There was one for Barn, RTG, Noise + Flowers, Rust Bucket... There is a film for World Record too.

4. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

I have still not received my Greedy Hand code despite receiving the LP within a few days after release. Emailing the customer service folks has produced a slew of holding replies, all saying we are looking into this. Ordinarily the codes arrive promptly. Anyone else having the same issue?

5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I didn’t receive a code but support sent me a new one pretty promptly. Same for Harvest 50th as well. But something is going really wrong with them sending out codes for the last couple of releases

6. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

I read a lengthy letter to the editor on this matter, apparently, those download codes are not automated for the UK store:
    Neil Young Archives

Having said that, I haven't received my download code for Harvest 50 yet... and I ordered that in the US store (which have sent me the codes pretty fast before).

7. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

I also haven't received my download for World Record. The response was they'll look into it. Obviously they're having some issues there.

8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It’s strange, I’d never had problems receiving download codes from the U.K. store but now since it’s “fixed” I’ve stopped receiving them.

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

so now we're into conspiracy theory territory, where rubin went back and "fixed" things unbeknownst to neil, and then lied to neil's face about it?

10. onlycastlesburning

onlycastlesburning it’s all one song

He mentioned in an interview that the record company was not impressed with the movie quality. Might have been why no deluxe edition,

Detroit Music Fan and Deckard like this.
  11. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

What on earth could Rubin have "fixed"? The end result is to my ears a sloppy, messy shambolic hodge-podge with no precision, clarity or direction. Hey, I like it for the most part, but World Record is not the work of serious professional musicians putting their best foot forward. It's a loose rehearsal with sketches of songs. Glad to have it and that Neil is still making new music, but if anything was fixed, it's more akin to a parent framing their kids "artwork" and proudly displaying it.
    NYF

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

If I wanted boring precise music I’d listen to the eagles

13. chodad

chodad Hodad

Total playing time is around 46 minutes so why 2 cds? An extra piece of plastic for music concerned about the environment doesn't make sense.

14. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Artistic reasons. Neil wouldn't budge, despite the insistence of his crew.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  15. Tony Glass

Tony Glass Forum Resident

A support ticket got me the codes within a couple hours.

16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

That’s exactly how it’s gone for me. I’m surprised that it’s taking some people days to get a response from support. Is everyone emailing [email protected] as I have the best luck with that

17. The same company that thought the audio on the BBC DVD was fine?That must be some terrible film.

18. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

It's not the Eagles to blame for these strange Neil albums.

19. TurnerTrunk444

TurnerTrunk444 Well "Moo" To You Too!

The general length, or the limit of a cd, is 80 minutes (and a couple of seconds) so to me an actual double album can be upwards of 160 minutes. Yes it was a thing back then to make a 90 minute thing a double, but that's what made laserdisc or old school PC-CD-Rom computer games so goddammed annoying, swapping discs all the damn time.

These latest example here is abit extreme honestly, all our favorite artists are stuck with the old distribution of releases, Neil, just have your next album be 4cds worth of jams, with Crazy Horse, enough feedback to shack ya damn barn almost to the ground, jams of nothing in particular, just..... jams. Be raw, it would be the next awesome unpredictable thing to do.

20. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Unboxing video for World Record....

Detroit Music Fan and aphexj like this.
  21. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I think his days of playing arenas is in the past.

22. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Or maybe Neil fully participated in ProTooling and auto tuning of Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Maybe Neil decided enough is enough with the “cinéma vérité” b.s.

Maybe Neil went full-on digital editing here, making everything sound note for note perfect through ProTools magic!

Maybe Neil was thinking, “Enough of the David Briggs approach, I want the David Guetta approach!

“Make it sound awesome with a mouse and digital editing suite!”

It is possible. Neil didn’t seem to blanch much in the promo clips when Rick talks digital.

23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Sure, maybe Neil and the Horse sang and played everything perfect then used auto tune to **** it up.

24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Too bad. He could still rock ‘em if he wanted to.

25. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades It's only my opinion

I think his days of playing live anywhere are in the past.