Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He’s done digital with Crazy Horse in the past, ie most of the Life album.

TonyACT, DTK and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

The credits for Psychedelic Pill have reference to ProTools transfers. I’m willing to the bet effects on the title track are a plug-in

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  3. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

He mentions in Waging Heavy Peace about “fixing” mistakes in Pro Tools. No way PP was an all analog production. I don’t really care either way, though.

musicaner and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  4. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

He mentioned in the latest batch of letters to the editor on NYA that the team is exploring possible live venues for next summer. So, the door looks to be still open a bit.

ARK, 420JJJazz666, mshare and 2 others like this.
  5. onlycastlesburning

onlycastlesburning it’s all one song

This is a very detailed description of those sessions to get an idea of what was ProTools: Neil Young’s Moonlit Sessions

6. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades It's only my opinion

I do hope so but I feel he has lost his urge for it.

7. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Personally, I hear his most cohesive, exciting, and interesting album in two decades. In my opinion, it's not as sloppy as Barn or Colorado. Isn't the sloppy, messy shambolic hodge-podge part of the charm of many Neil Young records?

8. It's not the format as much as the usual limitations and bad compression and loudness how most CDs are mastered. He does prefer hi rez digital over CDs. One reason he released the first Archive set on DVD .

This new records sounds great. Yeah theyrecorded analog, worked digitally and it was cut to analog for vinyl. More or less what MoFi is doing now. It can sound very good and this record sounds fabulous.

Most people can't tell the difference anyway, except when they learn there was a digital step, then they frequently say they can hear it. Usually it is simply the mastering choice and nit because there is digital involved. .

LC4O, Hagstrom, chickendinna and 3 others like this.
  9. "a sloppy, messy shambolic hodge-podge with no precision, clarity or direction"

Pretty much like half of Neil's records. And they are still wonderful!!

10. All Shook Down

All Shook Down @Lost Mixtapes on You Tube

FYI...Neil just added a 2018 Fresno live show with Crazy Horse to the Archives.

11. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Yeah and it is loud and great. Highly recommended!

Stone Turntable and chickendinna like this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That's not high praise. He's pooped on record for two decades.

musicaner likes this.
  13. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

I'm counting nearly 8 decades of poops. Cmon now...

14. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I wouldn’t say that. I like several albums from the last two decades, but I feel World Record is one of his great albums.

15. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Psychedelic Pill and Colorado had their moments.

ET3311 likes this.
  16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

And how long have you been…”commenting” on Neil Young threads??

Kahunasunset and ET3311 like this.
  17. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

have anything valuable to add to the conversation here or same ole?

vertigone, andyediewatt and ET3311 like this.
  18. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Psychedelic Pill, Le Noise, Toast, Greendale, Noise and Flowers. All classic to my ears with wonderful moments here and there on other studio albums.

Jam757 likes this.
  19. FlorentinePogen

FlorentinePogen Forum Resident

I'm shocked at the ambivalence towards The Visitor on this thread. That's a great record! Even a bonkers concept like "Carnival", and a further bonkers concept in its length, works well! He took some risks and it paid off, IMHO. I also adore the track "Already Great".

20. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Exactly.
    It gets clearer and clearer that he's an hypocrite...

TonyACT likes this.
  21. Given the abysmal audio quality of Noise And Flowers I’m thinking the “all classic to my ears” must be loaded with sarcasm when it comes to that title.
    The other 4 you mention are my 4 favourite 21st century Neil albums-classic to my ears too.

22. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Plastic only becomes a problem when it's thrown out. As I see it, by producing an extra disc, he's actually recycling more plastic ;)

23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I like Psychedelic Pill quite a lot but after listening to Colorado again last night I have to say it's one of my few handful of rejects from his discography. I can say that I don't like the album much at all. Psychedelic Pill has some amazing moments and if you can tolerate the long drawn out songs its a rewarding listen. My personal favorite in the last 25 years remains Le Noise though, love what he did with that one.

24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I like the storytelling aspect of Geendale. If that doesn't draw you in then I can understand how it wouldn't rank high for you. It seemed sort of fresh at the time and I still circle back to it from time to time. I'm not sure I understand what's taken so long to get a simple vinyl reissue though.

Six Bachelors and James Bennett like this.
  25. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I'm spinning the record. It's perfectly flat and clean, and the music is beautiful.