Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. man in the moon

man in the moon Forum Resident

excellent post

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It’s not a pairing I would have imagined for making a record, but it’s really not crazy to think they may be kind of kindred spirits, right?

ARK, Sean, Skylarkblue and 1 other person like this.
  3. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Well, he's tweaked the album, so the CD edition is the preferred one, but I doubt there's anything 'wrong' with the vinyl edition.

FuturisticWorkshop likes this.
  4. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

You seem angry or perhaps just annoyed. Can I ask why other people's opinions matter?

5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I’m glad Neil’s still,alive and cranking out all of this stuff, archival and new.

I mean, who would’ve guessed?

Sean, Karl1111, WarEagleRK and 11 others like this.
  6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Right back at ya

7. Ian Rosen

Ian Rosen Well-Known Member

Can't wait to hear this. Rick and Neil. Cool!

ARK, Sean, Skylarkblue and 1 other person like this.
  8. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Well, I hope Neil Young will remember...

That he makes great music and even music meant to criticize him is great?

9. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

World Record. Interesting title if true. ****ing love NYCH. Bring it on!

ARK and Skylarkblue like this.
  10. andyediewatt

The cold hard truth that Neil is coming to the end of his life saddens me something shocking. Let's enjoy these releases while we are still getting them. I'm glad Neil has an outside producer this time. Even the greatest artist of all time needs someone like Rubin from time to time.

ARK, WhatDoIKnow, Karl1111 and 9 others like this.
  11. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

They actually did a session together with Rubin back in the late 90’s I think. They only got a few songs. Never been released

errant_knight and Big Blue like this.
  12. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Some artists complained that Rick would push them around. Have a firm belief that this was not the case with Neil

errant_knight and andyediewatt like this.
  13. andyediewatt

Hard Luck Stories, Modern World and Horseshoe Man I believe. Also Rubin was a guest during the Toast sessions in San Fran.

14. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I don't think the Rubin/Young pairing is interesting, not today and it would not have been 20 or 30 years ago. What Rubin did well was to remind artists what made them good in the first place and perhaps more importantly help them get back to basics with a more raw production. He did this with Cash and he did it with Jagger on Wandering Spirit and many more. Young has been back to basics at least since Ragged Glory, he hasn't really been away from that approach since that. As a matter of fact, I would much rather see him using a more "flashy" producer by now and preferably one with the guts to tell him to work just a little bit more on the songs. That would be far more interesting. I think that's what Daniel Lanois did and Le Noise was great (I know, many wouldn't agree). What I'm saying is, Rubin sounds like more of the same. Many would probably benefit from his input, but not Neil Young IMO.

WhatDoIKnow, tms766, csnfan and 4 others like this.
  15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Maybe. But maybe working with someone you respect and who is on the same wavelength makes you more likely to take their input seriously. This pairing makes sense to me.

(I REALLY wish Rubin had made an album with Dickey Betts while it was still possible... I don't think it is anymore... )

ARK, csnfan, Davido and 3 others like this.
  16. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Firstly, I think Rubin brings more to the table than that. His mixes are deceptively simple sounding. But they reveal rich layers and make you want to listen again. He once commented that he and Tom Petty worked hard to achieve the semblance of simplicity, but many long hours of refinement, rethinking, and more refinement went into those recordings.

Secondly, Neil’s been kinda operating on his own, so any new producer at all should give us something at least a bit outside what he would do without anyone else around.

So, I’m convinced that Rick’s presence will be felt and notable.

17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Rubin only makes artists work hard if they are prepared to work hard. I recall the ZZ Top album took ages to do, and it resulted in their best album for decades, but it required Billy Gibbons to eat humble pie. Gotta eat that humble pie, Neil.

18. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

I think it’s a little strange that no one seems to mention Poncho being in the Horse vs. Nels. Very different guys and players. It’s almost like Neil has a loophole to play with “Crazy Horse” again because Nels was in a version of Crazy Horse at one point and In Neil’s band too. The chemistry is a big factor. Neil is also a million miles away from the person he was 40+ years ago. He lived a long life, made mistakes, lost a lot of people, climbed every measurable mountain of success at least twice in his career, not to mention only Dylan can hold a candle to his career, but Neil plays a lot better guitar, etc.

He’s old and just wants to makes more music with the friends he can while he still can. As someone else mentioned about a “decline is his faculties”, Neil has had brain issues for years now. On top of all the above, expecting an old man to write in a similar way to the way he did when he was young, ambitious and hungry is like asking him to return to a form he’s nearly the opposite of in every way. Lastly, no one mentions the drug factor, but if you’re chemically inspired and driven for over a decade (your most productive decade), but shift those chemicals along with other changes in your life and it’s nearly an impossible task for him to burn as brightly at 76 as he did at 26 or 36. He probably feels like he’s written it all at this point. I think he just wants to stay busy and hang out with his wife

ARK, Big Blue, 420JJJazz666 and 7 others like this.
  19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That's all true, and for sure it's up to the listener/fan to decide if it's still worth tuning in. In the case of Dylan it's different, he seems to be able to satisfy both his core and his casual fans with new output, perhaps becaue he was always mainly a lyricist and he can fall back on that; no one really cares if the musical backing is old 12-bar blues variants.

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  20. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Most artists complaints about Rubin have been that he does nothing. He lays on a couch and occasionally makes odd suggestions.

21. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I think you're exactly right.

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That's certainly what the Black Crowes thought.

For the Neil Young album, I wouldn't be surprised if Rubin pushed for him to refine songs and arrangements. Rubin hasn't been credited with a real comeback for a long while and I'm sure he wants another one under his belt.

tug_of_war, Davido and errant_knight like this.
  23. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Excellent points but Neil went on record as saying “Barn” was amongst his best work - but it really isn’t.

Brian Doherty likes this.
  24. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Jakob Dylan as well.

25. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

That pie went down fast. The songs are written and recorded. The album is finished unless you count the tweaks being done to the digital versions.

Heart of Gold and DTK like this.