Neil Young Dead Man OST

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neonbeam, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Dead Man re-release does have NYA lingo on it, including the spine NYA ORS #30 label.

James Bennett likes this.
  2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

a schedule is one thing, but what if the records have already been pressed? I know, "comes a time"....but this ain't "comes a time."

3. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

If you already have this reissue vinyl in hand, where did you get it? I’ve been trying to purchase this online but everywhere I look is either “currently out of stock” or “backorder”. I don’t believe for a minute that this title is so popular that it’s already sold out.

4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

The release is delayed in the UK until April so I think it’s actually only available in USA so far

5. BlackCircleVinyl

I’m struggling to find it online with USA retailers also...!

6. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

7. BlackCircleVinyl

Thanks. Their international shipping policy / disclaimer however makes for an uncertain order process around final cost... Looks like I may just have to sit tight till April.

8. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

...it's available in Toronto - yes, digitally sourced, the pressing is fairly clean and quiet. The distortion is epic, as I described on Twitter " dirty as f*$#. It's the most symphonic use of distortion likely ever laid down, coming across as a mix between angry bees, broken transmission wires and the sound of God thinking, completely with pedal organ to add to the jam."

Nice way of thinking your system is overloaded, but, of course, that's the sound NY was going for. Overall ecstatic to have this on 12" for fetish reasons and sonic reasons alike, without having to have paid the fortune for the previous iteration.

9. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

There are stretches in Paradox (his + Promise of the Real's soundtrack last year for Darrel Hannah's film) that sound straight out of the Dead Man soundtrack.

Thumbpick and dtuck90 like this.
  10. Thumbpick

Thumbpick Well-Known Member

For anyone who's a member of NYA, the archivists did answer my question - it's in the Letters section of The NYA Times-Contrarian.

The answer says that they're going to include the Main Theme in the File Cabinet section of the app. So that's nice. :)

11. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Is there anyway to play music from the archive site (for subscribers) outside of the web browser? As in mobile or casting to a smart device? I rarely use my laptop anymore, and it's not interfaced to my stereo. If I'm not playing a physical copy, its via Spotify or Sonos.

12. Thumbpick

There's an iPhone app that I use to stream to external bluetooth speakers. There's also an Android app that's currently in testing.

13. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Thanks. I use android, so I guess there is no hurry to subscribe. I'm still a bit burned from the BD-Live downloads being taken away from V1.

14. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

When I went to Amoeba Records in Hollywood a couple weeks ago, they had probably 40+ copies of the new vinyl release. It was in several "featured" racks around the vinyl section and of course, a bunch of copies in the NY section. I was kind of tempted to pick it up but I already have the original vinyl (and CD) release.

15. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

I saw the film in a theater when it was released, the guitar sound was HUGE.

interesting that Ebert and some others were negative when it came out.

"they're shooting buffalo"

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Currently out of stock, but down to $16 at Amazon US.

17. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

So glad to hear this! Not sure why, but so glad.

Have had it on order from amazon.ca for over a month and it’s saying May-June shipping. Ah well— I can wait.

18. BlackCircleVinyl

Thanks for the heads up - I have ordered this now. It's not yet available here in NZ and I can wait a little longer at Amazon's price ;-) Hopefully I don't get a "pricing error" email.

19. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

A tidbit: I got the original DVD from Netflix, haven't watched it yet though, and it does include the Theme from Dead Man, but not the long version, unfortunately. If I like the movie, I'll buy the Criterion, and see if that one has it. fyi, it is out there if you know where to look though ...

20. Thumbpick

I signed up for the Criterion Channel streaming service - it went live yesterday (though I think it's currently only available in the US) . Dead Man is currently available to stream, along with a lot of the bonus materials on the Criterion Collection Blu-Ray. For example, you can stream the 25mins of footage Jarmusch shot that shows Neil Young composing the score. There's also two versions of a Dead Man music video - one with a v/o of Depp reading passages from Blake and one without.

21. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I'm not a vocals guy. To me, vocals are just another instrument, so in that regard, the actual words don't really register. So even though this is a soundtrack, and there is some talking, I miss most of what's actually being said. (The vocals/words/talking are just of the overall sonic landscape to me.) But today, the part about the guy's soft hair did register. :D

22. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Great soundtrack. I wish they'd done the cover in faux leather like the limited edition CD release, though. That would've been pretty cool. Can't remember where I saw it, but I believe a new batch of these will be available in a couple weeks.

23. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

I still think it's crazy that the best track in the movie (Theme from "Dead Man") was never released on the soundtrack and is only on a promo single. It's like "Interstate" that's only on the Broken Arrow vinyl... :confused:

Thumbpick likes this.
  24. Strontian

Strontian Forum Resident

Here in the UK Dead Man has been continually put back time after time. I've had it on back order from Monorail Music here in Scotland since it was announced and none have made it into the UK :-(

The latest update I received mentions "We just heard back that Neil Young - Dead Man Vinyl/CD has been put back again. At this point we don't have a date for the release and the distributor seems to be having continual problems getting any more information from the label."

I'm taking the refund option and getting it elsewhere.

25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Please let me know where you find it elsewhere. No U.K. store has it and it’s been out of stock on Amazon.com since it was released pretty much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.