Neil Young hangs up on reporter, insists he use Pono

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fastnbulbous, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I've met him twice, once during Buffalo Springfield, and once after in 73 or so. The second time was tense for a nanosecond because he was walking by and I shoved some pictures in front of him and blurted out something silly. He stopped and became very calm. I calmed down too and the minutes seemed to slow down while he, Jack, Linda and I looked at some pics I had taken in 1967. Ten minutes of normal interaction and having something personal in common. Everything you don't find in a media situation. My visions of first watching Neil play were from when he was 21 or 22. So yeah, I worry about him and hope he can remain as healthy as possible..... even if he doesn't remember me (or care to) in any remote fashion.

Gavinyl likes this.
  2. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

You can tell the difference if you have magic ears, but not otherwise.

Pete Puma and Mazzy like this.
  3. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

Well, we all look forward to that Larry

Dino likes this.
  4. I don't

Jimmy B. and JoeF. like this.
  5. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

No kidding.....We miss you Peg.
    Shame on you Shakey!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  6. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

You don't see how? Why? Because he hung up on a journalist, who then relayed only his side of the story? Or because of his 30+ years of supporting Farm Aid to help American farmers? Or because of his 30 years of supporting the Bridge School to help kids with severe disabilities? What have you done?

Yeah, he was nice and friendly the one time I met him.

nowhereman87 likes this.
  7. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

What a silly comment!

8. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

I read the OP. The OP made no mention of anything further happening.... After reading the article my opinion is unchanged. The interviewer was rude and Neil did the right thing.

Dante Fontana likes this.
  9. videoman

videoman Senior Member

How was he rude? To ask him about the animal sounds? Why would that be rude?

ARK, Carserguev, Tristero and 2 others like this.
  10. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

No, clinging to the notion that Pono sounds better despite blinded studies that clearly demonstrate otherwise . . . is silly. However, the delusion that if something is expensive, it's better, is quite fascinating. Wine, for instance. :agree:

Dudley Morris likes this.
  11. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

The interviewer sounds like a *********

Oh, you can't say D bag here? How restrictive!

12. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

It's clear that the interviewer was rude and the article is evidence. I can imagine the interviewer's tone when he spoke. He just sounds condescending.

13. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Shame for what? No one here knows the reason or reasons they split up.

ARK likes this.
  14. Some pathetic comments in here but not surprising.

Graham and Sternodox like this.
  15. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Anyone who says an iphone is as good as Pono has never listened to a Pono player

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Those negative comments about Pono you quoted are the opinions of the guy who started this thread, NOT the interviewer. The interviewer offers no opinions about Pono in his article, aside from positive comments about how lifelike the animals sounded when he listened to the album. Also, what appears in the first post of this thread is an excerpt, so it would be best to read the entire piece before formulating an opinion on the interviewer or this interaction.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

What did he do or say that was d*****y?
    What are some actual examples of rude things he said, as opposed to speculation about his tone? Not that speculation is worth much, but to me he sounds like a fan who was deferential in tone. It's most certainly not"clear" that he was rude.

18. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Maybe you're just intent on reading it that way. An unbiased reading doesn't show that at all.

Comet01 likes this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Seems to be putting Neil on the defensive by suggesting he's put out more live albums than necessary.

Dante Fontana likes this.
  20. Phillip Walch

First of all, I was very sceptical about the claims made about the Pono, I liked the interchangeable SD cards and the ability to use balanced headphones. When I received it I went through a lengthy period of testing various formats and blind testing against my phone, an iPod, laptop and some much more expensive high-res players that a high end audio expert let me use. A much more knowledgeable guy than myself I should add. We both came to the conclusion that the Pono is a fantastic player. Music played on it is better. It is not a delusion because others don't hear the difference. The Pono is a cheap bottle of wine compared to the players we tested against and it stood up against them well. It is a superb player and if you take the time to listen to music on it it sounds quite incredible. I am not deluded or simply clinging to the notion that it sounds better than cheaper players because I know the difference it has made to my listening.

21. videoman

videoman Senior Member

The degree to which people read into things is astounding sometimes. I didn't see where he suggested that at all.

22. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Glad you like it.

Sternodox likes this.
  23. Phillip Walch

I do, thank you. I am still sceptical about high res as a format and the real benefits of it but the Pono is a great player. The DAC by Ayre is I think what makes it and music feels more intimate and balanced like the listener is in the room in amongst the band. I have found some FLAC that I ripped from CD sounds much better than 192/24 and SACD I have ripped can sound unbelievable. I am not denying the science behind the frequencies our ears can hear as I know too little about it but I do know the Pono and whatever it is they did has created a quite incredible player.

Billy_Sunday and Dino like this.
  24. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

This line not only summarizes this thread, but my entire experience with the internet as well. I may use this as my signature.

SirMarc, ARK, showtaper and 5 others like this.
  25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Well, that's one way to put it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.