Neil Young-Harvest 50th Anniversary Deluxe*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tomd, Oct 3, 2022.

1. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Sorry, I don't see it as the same problem. Fixing the BBC disc would involve a lot more work.

dtuck90 likes this.
  2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Doesn’t take over 3 months to fix, dude. Anyway, let’s get this replacement sent out in April.

Sis+erRay likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

So as I'm packing this (CD box) back up to return, a few thoughts:

1) I know the first disc (Harvest album) is a digital clone of the 2009 HDCD remaster done by Tim Mulligan, even still utilizing "peak extend". No HDCD logo on the disc, packaging, and in face, no mastering credits regarding the CD at all that I could find. The booklet simply says "mastered by Chris Bellman", so I guess they just shrunk down the booklet from the LP set and didn't bother to change anything. Kinda lazy. The booklet was nice otherwise, though small. Had to use a magnifying glass to read it.

2) Why are HDCD's (particularly with peak extension) still being put out? I get that they used the 2009 master, but they could have just had these new CD's use the fully dynamic mastering without locking it behind HDCD decoding.

3) I popped in the BBC DVD to see what it was like. It's sonically as bad as everyone says, no hyperbole there.

This is my favorite NY album, so I would have liked a really nice well done set, but I'm only mildly bummed to be returning this.

mikmcmee, supermd, JasonA and 2 others like this.
  4. DavidSH

DavidSH Well-Known Member

Great news! The BBC DVD replacement program has just been announced - see Neil's Archives site:

Neil Young Archives

Disc to be available 'on or about April 19'.

Max Wilbury, ARK, milankey and 6 others like this.
  5. Gordon Hobs

Gordon Hobs Forum Resident

NYA announces a free replacement BBC DVD for anyone that purchased the Harvest 50th anniversary box set - Neil Young Archives
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  6. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Funny they don't need your home address; guess they'l just e-mail the DVD?

Anyway, e-mail sent.

7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Thanks for providing this info. :thumbsup:
    I've emailed them my replacement request.

8. bournefree

bournefree Forum Resident

Mine keeps on going into my outbox. What am I doing wrong?

9. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Dunno. I received a confirmation reply email about two minutes after I sent mine.
    Have you checked the email address? I tripled checked it as it's quite a long one. Also, how big is the file size of your attachment? Internet Providers sometimes restrict the file size of emails. Hope you can solve your issue.

10. I included my address anyway.Also I attached a copy of my shipping confirmation which had my address in it.

I received the confirmation just as quickly.If it’s in your outbox doesn’t that mean it’s sent unless you get an undeliverable message?

DmitriKaramazov and supermd like this.
  11. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

So, excuse the (maybe) obvious Q's, but:

They will replace the DVD:
    1. free of charge
    2. no matter who / where you bought it from (as long as you provide a photo of the DVD or proof of purchase, etc...)
    3. no matter what country you are in...

??

... I ask because I didn't actually buy it - BECAUSE of the fault.,
    But now could buy it, and just await the free replacement...

KariK likes this.
  12. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

I sent my email and received a confirmation that they had received it. I imagine it will be the same procedure as with the Joni Mitchell farce. They will send you a form to fill in with your address etc. And then the wait begins.....

13. JR63

JR63 Forum Resident

I copied and pasted the above email address into an email requesting a replacement DVD and it bounced back with a message that the email address cannot be found. I wonder what I’m doing wrong?

Update: I typed the address into another email, rather than using a copy and paste, and it worked.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  14. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I couldn't copy/paste because it was a screen shot. I just carefully typed the address, and I received the confirmation email that others did.

Good luck.

supermd likes this.
  15. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Sent and received confirmation! Thank you @Gordon Hobs for posting :righton:

16. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

No. If an email is sitting in the Outbox it means it hasn't been sent for some reason. Could be a network problem, attachment size, "send immediately" checkbox isn't checked in advanced settings in Outlook.....

ARK and Alan57 like this.
  17. onlycastlesburning

onlycastlesburning it’s all one song

Hmm, maybe that's why they wanted the email address in the body of the email. Whoops.

18. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Neil coming through… let’s hope they focus on quality control here on out.

19. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Well looks like I can finally purchase this now that the replacement DVD has been announced.

Glad it is finally getting done because it s one of my favorite NY live performances. Had it on the DVR taped off of VH-1 for years back in the early 2000’s.

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

How can I hear this fully-dynamic mastering without HDCD decoding?

Seems so silly you need decoding to enjoy a fully-dynamic mastering.

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
  21. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Get the 24/192 hi-res version

Detroit Rock Citizen and supermd like this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thank you.

Even if I do, I’m just gonna convert it to 16/44.1 for my iPhone use. No reason why they couldn’t have given us the fully-dynamic mastering directly on the CD with no additional “special technology” required.

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
  23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

No need to pay the extra for 192khz. You could buy the 96khz (which is plenty, I think 192 is overkill) to get the same fully dynamic remaster for a little less from a place like prostudiomasters.com They have frequent coupon codes if you're on their mailing list, so you could knock it down a bit more.

supermd likes this.
  24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thank you. I agree, 192 is way overkill. It’s more the principal I’m annoyed with. Doesn’t make technical sense, but at least there’s a way to get the fully-dynamic mastering.

25. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Or you can stream the hi-res version on Apple Music

supermd likes this.