Neil Young - Hitchhiker - new Archives (studio?) release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Akapaz

Akapaz Forum Resident

I heard the distortion a couple of places at first listen, but after playing back the track 4 or 5 times it's gone. I can also mention that I cleaned the record with my Okki Nokki before putting it on for the first time.

2. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

If I order this directly from Amazon, am I guaranteed to get the second pressing? (which seems to have had none of the issues of the first pressing according to skimmed posts in this thread.)

3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I got a Chris Bellman cut today from Amazon UK and it sounds great, no issues at all.

4. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

:)
    Close!...see the recent Doors threads?

5. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Did he cut them all? I didn’t read through all the hundreds of pages.

6. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Hmm no, I'll have to take a look. :D

7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Not sure but he did my copy and apart from the NYA release of Harvest, I’ve never been disappointed with one of his cuts, and that’s not just Neil Young but a load of other artists

8. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

There were some deletions when it got REALLY hot!?!?!?

mick_sh likes this.
  9. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Classic.

10. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

So, I was yard saleing yesterday when I found a still sealed copy of this for $12. I couldn't resist. It's the first NYA vinyl I've purchased (I'm not much of a reissue guy and wasn't moved enough by the live stuff to buy it). Not only are the performances wonderful, but the vinyl is among the quietest slabs in my collection (I didn't clean it first). CB Re-1 for those keeping score.

11. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

For some, the minutia of reproduction trumps the music. To me that is a sad state of affairs, but each to their own I guess. I didn't think to do a quick spectral while I played it, so I can't comment further.

Jack likes this.
  12. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Thank you for quoting him. In 114 pages I missed this.

I really enjoyed the album so I came here to get a consensus. Who knew such further entertainment awaited me?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  13. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

You did well. I bought my copy through Neil's webstore and it is anything but a quiet LP. Maybe I should have waited and gone to a car boot sale.

markshan likes this.
  14. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I'm not a reissue guy too, and to my point of view, it is not a reissue, but an unreleased 1976 solo album, issued for the first time 41 years later.
    Does your LP copy have the wording (sourced from original analog tapes) on both record labels and on back cover?
    If yes, it is a second pressing (beginning of November '17).
    The first pressing from the beginning of September '17 does not have, on record labels and on back cover, this text.
    (If you go back on page 111, from post #2758 ahead, this above was the conclusion).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  15. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

No, of course it's not a reissue. My point is that this is the reason I hadn't previously bought any NYA product.

Giorgio likes this.
  16. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I'll throw another wrinkle into the mix for you. It's on the back cover but not on the labels. I provided deadwax info above.

Giorgio likes this.
  17. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

CB Re-1 seams to be on both first and second press.
    Anyway, if labels don't have that text, and your Lp was sealed, I think you have a transitional copy from the period...who know...just speculation Bro :)

18. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Whatever it is, I'm more than happy with it.

Giorgio likes this.
  19. This isn't directed at you necessarily, but I find it funny that sometimes people talk on this site as if specific websites or stores get different pressing runs or specific presses of the same thing. I'm not talking about US vs EU pressings, or 2nd pressing runs, but when something is released you'll sometimes see people talk about where they bought it as if that's a reason for the noise on their pressing. "I got mine from Amazon and it's quiet" - but Amazon has literally nothing to do with that, every pressing that every store gets is sealed before it gets there.

markshan likes this.
  20. Six Bachelors

My point was simply that I bought the record from the man's website and it sounds like crap and that someone else picked it up in a yard sale (I'm not exactly sure what that is - I think we call it a garage sale) and got one that sounded great. I'd like to think that Neil's store at least would be aware of how the pressings it is selling sound.

More generally I think people find it relevant to state where a copy was bought because there can be different pressings for different continents and things like that. If everyone who bought something from a European vendor has a lousy copy and everyone who bought it from an American vendor has a good copy, that might be useful to others who are yet to buy it, particularly once matrix info is available...yeah?

21. Well I did say it wasn't directed at you necessarily ;) But the copy from the yard sale and from Neil's store would come from the same place, they're all pressed by the same place. Neil's store can have no way of knowing what an unopened, sealed pressing sounds like other than to assume it sounds as good as whatever test pressings/final pressings they reviewed. Maybe I'm having trouble explaining what I mean.

22. Six Bachelors

No, I understand you. The post clearly was directed at what I was saying, which is, of course, fine. Maybe I'm the one not being clear - the copy from Neil's store would hopefully have been packed properly, stored properly, handled properly and mailed properly. The one someone is selling from home could have been left out in the sun all day. I was observing the irony of the second hand copy being better than the brand new one...

...and yes I am aware of all the discussions of the issues with the first pressing. The quality of the pressing I got was such as to discourage me from bothering with an LP of the Roxy release. I'll stick with hi-rez.

markshan likes this.
  23. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Listening to this right now. I can't imagine an archival release I'd love more. This reminds me why I have loved Neil since my early teens and hearing After The Gold Rush LP for the first time. He speaks to me and I get it. Best way I can put it.

24. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I have a first pressing and it sounds wonderful. No surface noise or pops or distortion.

I haven’t listened on headphones though but I’m sure I would have noticed given the sparse recording.

25. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

HMV have this for 13.99. Seems reasonably priced.

warewolf95 likes this.