Neil Young Homegrown Vinyl/CD Release 19 June 2020 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sherwood SST, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Don't understand the "desperation." You play the collection you already have. I've been doing that for over a year now. I'm up to Neil's albums just by coincidence.
    Then there's everything that's on Spotify and other sites, waiting for a new release is something easily done.
    We're living in a time like no other.
    I just got an alert from Google Chrome about a Bill Withers cover from Lukas and Micah Nelson while I'm typing this post !!!!!!

2. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

87,000 people just unexpectedly lost their lives. If the only thing someone has to worry about is sitting at home listening to music, I don't think they NEED a new album NOW.

3. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

But I do think P.O.B. is right that there will be people that absolutely will purchase both. The question is how many people will double dip right now in this economy, and how many potential buyers have been impacted by unemployment and/or this economic downturn. And in this scenario, if less people do buy both, it will more than likely be the box set that takes a hit in sales, not Homegrown.. Take a look at Vol. 1; that box set was released on June 2nd, 2009, right in the middle of a year when the country was still suffering from the effects of a recession. I would be willing to bet that one of the reasons sales underwhelmed, and why we may not see Blu-Ray or DVD box sets moving forward, is that people were still personally recovering financially from it and may not have been willing to spend their money on that set. I know at the time I was working a retail job at a grocery store, where I had been forced to take a pay cut the year before, and I barely found the money needed to buy it on day of release.

4. This! The mad clamour for unreleased Neil Young (or anyone else's music) at the current time needs a little perspective.

We all need excellent health, safety, food and clean water, not 45 year old unreleased music. That's a simple luxury that some of us won't even be able to afford anymore.

This Covid-19 is going to forever change everything we know including access to our precious music.

ted321, Myke, IHeartRecordsAz and 4 others like this.
  5. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Holding back the release of new music is the wrong decision, in my opinion. People have more time than ever to listen to music and new material helps relieve cabin fever. I understand that it's not more important than combating the virus or keeping people safe, but they're not mutually exclusive.

6. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Disagree. More and more people are streaming instead of buying physical, across all age ranges (including my 72 year old father). Sure, Neil's base buys more physical than typical fans, but the number of people who stream and don't buy accompanied physical is only growing. Not to mention I'm sure there would be people who would stream on NYA, which is currently free, and either forget or choose not to buy it in physical form 4 months later.

DTK, tug_of_war, Alan57 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Marzipan

Marzipan Forum Resident

Music is a nice respite from the daily horrors, and I’ve been waiting for this music for 17 years. If I was Neil Young, aka rich and seemingly in charge of his work, I’d say ‘**** it. Here you go to help get you through, my true fans!’

Buddhahat, Alan57 and TheWarmth like this.
  8. IHeartRecordsAz

Yeah, I think we can all agree that, in the grand scheme of things, everyone's health, well-being and ability to access health care, food, water etc. trumps all and is priority number one. At the same time, music is going to be the light at the end of the tunnel for a lot of people, or the one thing that's going to help carry them through this pandemic on an emotional level. Which is why live music streams are so popular right now (well, save for Gal Gadot's "Imagine.").

Alan57 and Syscrusher like this.
  9. IHeartRecordsAz

I think he is doing that in the ways he can with his videos. But as long as he has his contract with Reprise, they're going to have a say in how his music gets distributed. That's just a fact.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  10. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Oh come on. So we can’t get excited about music any more?! Of course there are more serious things to worry about. There’s always something more serious to worry about.

Everywhere at the moment somebody is guilt tripping someone else over what they should or shouldn’t be doing during lockdown.

If I want to express mild frustration about a delayed neil Young release in a thread entirely dedicated to that release, I see no problem with that.

11. Get excited as much as you like. All I'm saying (as a music fan and collector myself) is that we don't need physical product at this precarious time.

tug_of_war likes this.
  12. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

In fact, we never need it. But I understand where he's coming from.

13. Marzipan

Marzipan Forum Resident

I don’t need it to be physical. Due to the virus, I’ll easily take and pay for a download on 4/18, which is STILL listed as the release date on the NYA timeline.

James Bennett and tug_of_war like this.
  14. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

same here — will buy it at 12:01.

15. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I would love to know why it is still listed on NYA as coming out on 4/18.
    A few more days and the mystery will be solved. For better or worse.

16. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I feel your pain. I got laid off in November of last year. I’ll be 64 next month and I have severe COPD. To say my employment prospects are bleak right now would be an understatement. To top it off, my unemployment benefits run out in the beginning of May. To my knowledge, I should get an extension. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. My point being, I’ll find a way to get Archives 2. I hate to double dip, but Homegrown is a Holy Grail release for me. The minute I heard about it, about 45 years ago, I just had to hear it. When you’ve waited 45 years , what’s another couple months. In these difficult and challenging times, patience is a virtue on so many levels.

IHeartRecordsAz, Myke and tug_of_war like this.
  17. Myke

Syscrusher likes this.
  18. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Please take care. They suspected I had COPD but it turns out not. Learned a lot about it though, enough to say we (especially you) need to avoid COVID-19 like the plague it is. Best of luck, stay safe and I hope you get Homegrown during the lockdown!

19. chickendinna

Allentown, Ha!!. I'm from Hazleton originally. Back in the day, ATown was the drug hub of Pa. Not that I would know from personal experience. I just heard about it:angel:. Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm as cautious as I can be. My wife is still working. Not sure If like that or not because she deals with the public. Thank God for music, the SHF and kind folk like you. It's easy to get Jack Nicholsonish/ the Shining during this lockdown.

Mooserfan likes this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Do you figure they recorded all the parts individually and then put it together? Is that band footage from earlier?

21. Myke

Yep. COPD here after several bouts of pneumonia, then taking up smoking in 1980, to relax the effects of the speed. NOBODY has been near me in over 3 weeks, because even the slightest common cold goes straight for my lungs these days.

Mooserfan likes this.
  22. chickendinna

I feel you. Hang in there MYKE. I can't wait to wake up from this nightmare. Anybody who has upper respiratory issues like us is scared sh*tless right now. Anyway we digress, this is probably some of the least important issues we face right now. Still and all I'd love for Neil to even stream or make Homegrown available for download.

Mooserfan likes this.
  23. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Looks like he’s delayed it again. NYA Saying it’s 29 May now!

24. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Neil hasn’t. Reprise has. I can’t help but feel that if Elliot was still around Neil would have got his way.

25. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Fair enough - I guess there are a few artists delaying releases but hard to understand why digital releases won’t go ahead. Dylan just put out a second new song on line.