Neil Young Launches Bootleg Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Neil Young Launches Bootleg Series

Neil Young announced on the Neil Young Archives that he's launching a bootleg series of his own, where he'll take the famous concert bootlegs out there and officially release them with the actual master recordings.

Young prefaced the announcement by acknowledging the I’m So Happy That Y’all Came Down bootleg that was illegally released in 1971 under the bootleg label Rubber Dubber. The acoustic show was recorded by an audience member on Feb. 1, 1971 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles. Fans can likely expect that bootleg as one of the first releases of the series.

Young plans on using all of the original art from the bootlegs except the audio will be largely improved. He wrote, “We are going full bore with our series right now, so write letters in to me with your favorite bootlegs and we will find them and use the best audio we can locate, either from the NYA vaults or somewhere else.”

While there is no official release information, Young promises that the series will launch soon.

maybe my wish will come true! been hoping for a legit release of that show!!!

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Great. Now do the 1984 Catalyst shows.

I would have chosen that over Rust Bucket for the still-unreleased songs, and for the Landing on Water songs done the way they should have been.

3. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Too bad it's only concert bootlegs. It would be pretty funny if he released this.
    [​IMG]

4. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Bronco Bowl!

Spadeygrove and Michael like this.
  5. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

Oh dear. I better start saving my pennies up now. This is gonna be fun.

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Notice the article is dated May 2020

7. Michael

yes I am aware of the articles date!, but that's perfect Neil! lots of laughs...I don't care how long it takes if I can get a quality release of 2/1/71...I've been wishing and a hoping for many years of the possibility...

8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I'll take the entire 1969 tour with Crazy Horse, including every Talbot and Molina flub.

9. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

I want something from the tour with Booker T. I saw that tour and it was one of the best shows by anyone I've ever seen.

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Neil's announced that Carnegie Hall '70, the unheard 1st show, not the bootlegged 2nd performance, will be the first release in this series.
    It was mentioned that would happen late May.
    I'm guessing this likely sees the light of day on June 12th, which will be Record Store Day.

The original plan was to drop a batch of 5 shows at once;
    Carnegie Hall, Dorothy Chandler, Royce Hall (1971), Rainbow Theater (1973) and The Bottom Line performance in 1974.

With release details sketchy, its unknown if this would come out as a box, as individual titles, or even in cd or hi-rez formats.

But it seems certain there will be at least a vinyl release of the Carnegie Hall '70 show.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the man is possessed at this point, to release every inch of tape he has at his disposal.

what is the difference between this and the 'archive' releases he has been doing for a few years now?

SteveM, Sean, warewolf95 and 3 others like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Do the Gone With the Wind Orchestra show!!!

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

all I care about at the moment is 2/1/71!

14. Michael

it's all live bootlegs with exact LP art.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    primoridal_ooze likes this.
  15. Neil has recently confirmed he has no recording of this show.However he does have a recording of the rehearsal the day before and that will be included on the Archives Volume 3 box planned for early 2022.

16. Add The Ducks to that initial list and he has multi tracks of that.Also Rainbow and Bottom Line come from audience tapes.

Yes.He specifically said he is going to bootleg the original bootleg cover art.

17. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

For what it’s worth, the article on the NYA site regsrding the Carnegie Hall release still lists May 7th as the release date.

Efus and Michael like this.
  18. Michael

lots of laughs...the ? was a typo... I was posting that he WAS including all the original bootleg album art...

also hoping you also get what you want!

DmitriKaramazov and Alan57 like this.
  19. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I think only a couple of its tracks are still unreleased by now.

20. tug_of_war

Possessed Neil is good Neil.
    FREE THE ARCHIVES :D

Biscuit1970, Sean, Zongadude and 2 others like this.
  21. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

All I care about is Carnegie Hall, Dec. 4, 1970. Either show, but it would be nice to have both.

So, in Dec. 1978 I walked through a driving snow storm from my apartment in Cleveland Heights to a shop called the Record Exchange. And bought Neil Young, live, acoustic, Carnegie Hall, Down By The River, guitar tuned to a dropped ‘D’! Might have paid $20 which was a lot of dough back then.

I’d had no idea that this even existed, and was just stunned to hear it.

Whoa! Some things you just never forget.

:shtiphat:

22. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

... is he going to release the bootleg series on Pono?

Michael likes this.
  23. joejoe

joejoe Forum Resident

11/15/76 Chicago Hurricane

24. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Isn't there a (semi-)famous photo of Neil Young grilling a record store owner about his Neil Young bootlegs? I mean, from way back?

He should use that as the brand for this series . . .

25. tug_of_war

Photo? It's a video! He leaves the shop taking the record with him without paying hahahaha :biglaugh: So the poor employee calls him back and phone the shop owner so that Neil can talk to the man himself. I love it.