Neil Young Launches Bootleg Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Mr_Flanders

Mr_Flanders Forum Resident

I get the frustration. It’s because people really love the music.

But honestly, over the last ten years, we’ve gotten releases like Archives II, including Tuscaloosa. Roxy, Hitchhiker, and some downright essential discs of unreleased material. There’s been Rust Bucket, Psychedelic Pill (okay, 11 years on that one), Young Shakespeare, Toast, Judy, Bluenote Cafe, Toast… the Bootleg Series.

I’m not frustrated at all. There’s other releases that I’d love to see get released soon. There have been some decisions regarding sound or editing that I’d have maybe done differently. But there’s just been too much great stuff… and too much more to come, for me to feel anything like frustration.

garymc, ARK, markp and 13 others like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

fair enough..I get where you are coming from..but for me, the only boot from 1971 (Dorothy Chandler) that I love and waited 50+ years for an official release leaves the talk between songs off the official CD...can you dig it?

Sean, DmitriKaramazov and Taxman like this.
  3. Mr_Flanders

Yeah, I understand. You loved the boot. You wish he’d released it with the raps intact. I get it. And generally on a live album, I like it when they keep the talk and banter in… It was a special one for you, and it feels like they really messed it up. And I’m not saying that you shouldn’t be disappointed.

I’m saying that for ME, there’s been so much top notch Neil coming out, that I certainly don’t feel frustrated. He doesn’t always do exactly what I’d want, but the overall collection of material far exceeds any expectations I’d have for any musician.

ARK, Sean, supermd and 2 others like this.
  4. Michael

fair enough I get where you are coming from...Dorothy was supposed to be a legitimate version of the original boot...OK, leaving it off the CD and DL but leaving it on the streaming online version serves what purpose if one cannot buy or own the complete version?...justify this for me please...; )

supermd likes this.
  5. Mr_Flanders

I can't really. And I'm not trying to. I was certainly under the impression that the Official Boots were going to be cleaned up versions of the actual boots when they announced it. All I can say is that they made a decision to do it differently, and you and a number of other people were pretty disappointed about it. I can't justify it. And I don't blame you. I'm younger... I didn't know jack about the Dorothy bootleg until the Official Bootleg Series was announced, so it is easy for me to shrug off missing raps that I'd never heard to begin with. I realize that for you, it was a real letdown in a way that it wasn't for me.

I'm just glad he's still doing what he's doing overall, because it is an exciting time to be a Neil Young fan.

ARK, Sabu, supermd and 2 others like this.
  6. Michael

OK, I gotcha! totally get it...you have no connection to the original, but if you did I know you'd be in the same boat...thanks.

Mr_Flanders likes this.
  7. Mr_Flanders

It’s cool. And you are probably right. I’m a big Pearl Jam fan, and I do remember that they did a little remaster box of their 2nd and 3rd albums, and it included a pretty famous show from the era ‘94, at the Orpheum Theater. I remember being quite disappointed that they opted to do a single cd of the show with 6 or 8 songs cut. I’m not sure if there was a problem with the recording, or if they just cut it down to save a disc, but it bummed me out for sure.

ARK and Michael like this.
  8. Michael

it all boils down to you had to be there...with no connection to an album it doesn't matter...

Mr_Flanders likes this.
  9. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

They correct it for the actual release....!
    [​IMG]

ARK, footlooseman, Sean and 5 others like this.
  10. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I ordered both Somewhere and Flying High but Yikes almost $50 total for the both of them. Inflation is making my eyes water. I guess I could stream both, but Neil is one of those artists that I want the physical product. As Neil sang in the American Stars n Bars, Bite the Bullet.

Sean, bonus, steelinYaThighs and 2 others like this.
  11. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Dorothy Chandler is $14 and Bottom Line is $12 on Amazon now, so patience may be rewarded on these.

Sean, The MEZ, czyhorse75 and 3 others like this.
  12. Willy J

Willy J Forum Resident

Huge mistake, in my opinion. The fundamental charm of these bootleg releases is to release a facsimile of the original, weirdnesses intact.

13. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

This route i'm taking for these two. Past bootlegs I pre-ordered immediately but I can stream from NY Archive for a while.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  14. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Underwhelmed with the audience recorded Rainbow :( the band kicks it but is kinda unlistenable.

Marty T, mshare, tug_of_war and 2 others like this.
  15. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I’ll be buying The Ducks but not the Rainbow. Can see the Gone With The Wind Orchestra audience recording coming up before the Catalyst 84.

andyediewatt and JoeRockhead like this.
  16. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

some quick thoughts:

- the ducks offering is an instant classic. because of the obscure nature of what the ducks were, it might not exactly be an essential neil young release, but it is a wonderful listen.
    - the rainbow show sounds much better than i thought it would. it's like several of the half-dozen blankets that were draped over the original release have been removed. it's rough, but it's listenable now.

wgb113, JoeRockhead, Willy J and 9 others like this.
  17. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

I’ll be grabbing both of these from my local Bull Moose tomorrow, but I’m baffled as to why The Ducks CD costs five more dollars than Rainbow despite both being 2 disc sets. Makes no sense!

JoeRockhead, chickendinna and qtrules like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Makes no sense? They got 5 more dollars from you. :D

ARK, chickendinna and Echoes71 like this.
  19. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

They're the same price at Greedy Hand right now. But the Ducks has more songs on it so they probably have to pay more royalties per unit sold.

Echoes71 likes this.
  20. tgdon'tmind

tgdon'tmind Lord, Here Comes The Flood

Might be, since The Ducks LP, has most songs written by others, money has to be spread around to more people.

Echoes71 likes this.
  21. BawBag

BawBag Forum Resident

Rainbow is £2 more expensive than the Ducks on the UK Greedy Hand.

Echoes71 and Lecords like this.
  22. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Yeah, I did wonder about the royalties factor. Makes sense I guess.

23. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

Can’t wait for tomorrow—Amazon just sent the email advising SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW 1973 shipped, and shall be delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing this legendary recording for the first time during one of the highest peaks in Shakey’s storied career.

And that cover art—He looks pure bada$$ in that seersucker and armed with Ol’ Black!

- siyt

24. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Listening properly and loud on NYA. Sound is better than I'd thought. What a performance.

905, tug_of_war, qtrules and 2 others like this.
  25. Blame it on the vinyl production log jam and the intrinsic limitations of vinyl.The edits were made to make it fit on 1 LP.
    Neil would have a vinyl production quota -like most artists south of Taylor Swift.If he used more of that to make a 2LP release of any of the 3 Bootleg titles released last year then 1 of them could not have come out at all.Personally I thought Dorothy Chandler was easily the weakest of the 3 .
    Of course the solution would have been to include the raps on the CD and exclude them on the vinyl.They have said they won’t do that.After the complaints about the rap removal from Bottom Line in particular Neil wrote that he wouldn’t do that again.Rainbow will be an interesting test case of that.