Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

None as bad as Field of Opportunity, released 40 years ago. IMO of course

Kahunasunset likes this.
  2. JoeRockhead

they're easy enough to ignore. Paradox was his first CD I bought since Psych Pill, skipping 4 or 5 or 6. Don't matter, his legacy is secured. plenty of older ones to listen to.

3. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i like the new song. it's hard to hear at times, but i like the melody.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  4. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i love this song.

5. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

They played "Field OO" at Farm Aid last week

6. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

The tower setlists were incredible. After having a month or so of being over the world of neil after obsessing over his music for 15 years it was a timely reminder of what the man is capable of. Tulsa! Expecting to Fly! Broken Arrow! Thrasher all in the same set.

7. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

8. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Great set lists! Thrasher is such a masterpiece. I still marvel at the lyrics when I hear it.

I like that he has been doing a couple of tracks off Le Noise. Peaceful Valley is one of his best later songs. It would fit well on the Hitchhiker disc. Similar vibe to that mid 70s stuff.

9. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

NYA has posted now an "AUDIO UPGRADE ALERT" for the Dead Man soundtrack to the master audio at 24 / 44.1.

Sigma6, adamos, andyediewatt and 3 others like this.
  10. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I would have been dead on the floor after the first two songs on that setlist. Un-be-darn-leviable! Opening with Tulsa???? Expecting and Arrow in same set?? This is literally like a dream-joke setlist I might have written myself for him.

vertigone, Crispy Rob, Efus and 4 others like this.
  11. andyediewatt

The archives site looks very bare on the home page. Not holding my breath but must be time for subscriptions and that drop of unreleased tracks. Come on give us something.

12. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

They seemed to clean it up yesterday. Whether that bodes for well or ill...:shrug:

13. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I was hoping that Young Neil would break out “Philadelphia” on the piano for some obvious bonus points.

Lamus and andyediewatt like this.
  14. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I have a hunch that the delay around the subscriptions this time might be around "launching" it along with tour dates.
    If, say for example, a European tour is being planned for next summer then perhaps they are waiting until everything is fully confirmed before doing a tour pre-sale along with the new subscription.

This is all guesswork though...along with some hopeful optimism that we see Neil back in Europe next summer! :D

andyediewatt likes this.
  15. JoeRockhead

They just had that 30 minute like a hurricane film, there's been a bunch of exclusive show presales and announcements ... not like the site has been dormant or anything lately.

jumpinjulian and Rockinrob like this.
  16. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Ol' Shakey still keeping jive alive!

Interesting watching a few clips, like The Loner.
    He's playing the song, but in the middle appears to just drift off on the guitar, because it sure doesnt sound anything like whats in The Loner.

Anyhow, brilliant setlists, would love to hear him break out "Look Out For My Love"

17. andyediewatt

True. Really enjoyed Hurricane. Guess we are spoilt.

Rockinrob likes this.
  18. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

my Sony WM1A can now act as an external DAC. Come on Neil I'm ready for subscriptions!

19. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

With the obvious caveat of believe-it-when-we-see-it, Neil says...

- Archives Volume 2 on CD (no blu-ray this time) will be out in May 2019
    - Subscription delays are due to waiting for mobile version to be ready, targeting November 20th
    - Boarding House videos will be coming, no date yet

Go over to the Contrarian and read all about it and other interesting things.

20. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Yes very interesting, and they will be going back to the original analog tapes (assume multitracks) for a Ragged Glory reissue!!

James Bennett, bonus, Graham and 2 others like this.
  21. andyediewatt

I just want it all NOW! hehe What excites me the most is the song Interstate being available on NYA. Wonder what "soon" means in relation to Homegrown? "Soon" in the world of Neil Young can mean many things. Looks like progress though YAY!

22. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

There's also mention of a Dead Man OST reissue. Of course, with Neil, you have to take these things with a grain of salt but it's great to see him engage with the fans directly either way.

Graham and James Bennett like this.
  23. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Yep, just saw it this morning. In the letters to the editor column o the right hand side of the page. But we have actually dates, let's see if they actually happen. If the subscriptions do go live on Nov 20, begin the 6 month countdown for NYA 2.

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Boarding House videos??!!
    :laughup::laughup:

Syscrusher and Heart of Gold like this.
  25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Very interesting, because I had always heard it was recorded digitally.