Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

beautiful bluebird was from times square.

nmesen likes this.
  2. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

It was recorded at The Castle, 1985. Box Car was from Times Square.

bonus likes this.
  3. Heart of Gold

The Harvest Barn Recordings and rehearsals, June 1984. No song confirmed, but Broken Arrow 84 listed some titles from the sessions.

4. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

You’re right I think Beautiful Bluebird is strictly an ‘85 song.

I do have recording dates and locations for those three songs, mind you that doesn’t mean much from an unofficial source. But if they haven’t been recorded then where would the titles come from then?

5. Heart of Gold

They happened to be other Geffen artists. Joel Bernstein researched, because he obviously didn't know those songs. Also the pre-internet world was full of printed errors. Problem is now that these errors spread more rapidly.

6. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Are you saying the songs are not even written by Neil?

7. Heart of Gold

O.k. I have found my essay. These were all songs performed by R& B artists Jennifer Holliday (Geffen) and Randy Crawford (Warner). Songs generally written by Reggie Lucas and David Pack. No relation with Neil Young.

Syscrusher likes this.
  8. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

A lot of great analysis on the Old Ways saga, as well as a reminder about the above false non-Neil songs can be found in Scott Sandie's article in BA here:
    Neil Young Broken Arrow Magazine Archive

9. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

In the space of its first week in existence the new Unreleased Archive grozup on FB has already "solved" three puzzles and can correct the history books:
    1. The widely circulated Born To Run recording is not from the Ragged Glory sessions (1990) because Ralph (at least) does not play on it. Possibly from the Freedom sessions 1988-89 but more research required.
    2. All The Things I've Gotta Do Girl (1969), mentioned on the Reprise submissions lists in Broken Arrow, is the same song as Danny Whitten's Look At All The Things which was released 1971 on the album Crazy Horse (and may just have Neil in the background, though not credited).
    3. White Flower was not directly inspired by the JFK assassination, as Johnny Rogan for one has said, since it was recorded 2 months before.
    Thanks to Ralph Molina and especially Richard Bonino for the tips.

10. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

The lead guitar tone and drum sound are very similar to those on Ragged Glory: it certainly sounds like a rehearsal from those 1990 sessions.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  11. RoyalPineapple

Just had another listen. The snare drum tone on Born To Run is the same as Ralph's from Ragged Glory.

Neither the playing nor the tone is very much like Chad Cromwell's from the previous year.

It sounds like Crazy Horse to me. I reckon the original estimate of 1990 is very likely accurate.

unclefred likes this.
  12. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Not sure when these were posted but I noticed some updates on the letters page:
    - Variety of messages surrounding the Hyde Park gig pre-sale/Barclays involvement
    - NY mentions that Greendale is "one of the next batch of vinyl we are making" and that it "should be out in the next 6-8 months". He also replies to another query about Broken Arrow, Le Noise and Mirror Ball saying they are "on our vinyl list".
    - Also reviewing 3 different live videos of Greendale
    - Looking into getting the original VHS/Laserdisc master of Human Highway to get an extended cut.
    - Adding Philadelphia (the track) to the site is noted as being a "legal challenge so far".

13. RoyalPineapple

Right, I've now had a look at the FB group you mention. Reading Ralph's comments on Facebook, he doesn't actually say it's definitely not him on Born To Run, just that "he doesn't think its Crazy Horse" and "it's not his drums". As in, not his drum kit.

I think this is mostly Ralph distancing himself from a rather rough-sounding performance. Listening to it, it's obviously a rehearsal with the band still working out what to play.

We can be fairly sure that this recording is from the Ranch 1990, because regardless of whether it is Ralph playing or not (I think it is), it's definitely the same drums featured throughout Ragged Glory.

So it's an interesting thing to look into, but in this case I don't think the history books need to be rewritten.

Lost In The Flood and EwaWoowa like this.
  14. Heart of Gold

Neil answers to many mails. No official launch until the mobile app isn't ready. IOS is ready, Android not. They 're working on CSNY Fillmore East footage ( and audio, I imagine). Etc.

budwhite likes this.
  15. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Didn't think Neil was getting involved in CSNY stuff, thought Graham was in charge of their archive releases.

16. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Signed up 2 mins ago...
    ROCKING OUT! to Who's Gonna Stand Up? Echo Arena Liverpool 2004
    LOVE the site!!! :pineapple:

17. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

we should see a lot of CSNY stuff over the next two years...

18. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

This is where the archive to me could be really something amazing. As Neil's solo career enters into the end of copyright days on unreleased material starting on New Years of this year, there is all kinds of stuff that probably will not be deemed suitable for official releases, but may turn up as perks for archives members. Say something like the Time Fades Away tour which will see its copyright expire in five years time. We know several shows were recorded and Neil plans to release a Time Fades Away II at some point. But he could realistically upload the complete shows for streaming for subscribers only. While that may not be everyone's cup of tea surely it will be of interest to several others like me, it enables Neil to establish copyrights on all that material, and allows him to have tons of stuff to continue adding to the site without giving away his A material that he has reserved for official releases.

19. Heart of Gold

I don't know if a limited streaming on NYA could save the copyright on the unreleased material, but also if already transferred digitally, the tapes need to be mastered and mixed for the streaming. Not a small task.

20. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Digging.. 1956 Bubblegum Disaster
    The Riverboat, Toronto 2/9/1969

I am so lucky to be able to dig this as an early Xmas gift from my sweet loving Becky. The value in this subscription is beyond measure. Great time to be a music lover.

21. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I’ll do it!

What lufs should we go for?!

22. Heart of Gold

5 theater shows in the Midwest. Presale tomorrow on NYA.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

my thoughts exactly. I guess if Nash gets a call from <pick one of several Neil people>, then he just sighs and follows up.
    Maybe we'll get another "Neil is an a-hole" interview in a couple of years

24. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

BOB DYLAN + NEIL YOUNG : HYDE PARK - SPONSORED BY NOBODY

NYA12-11-18
    NYA is happy to announce that the Hyde Park show will proceed without Barclays as a sponsor. We are overjoyed, so happy to be playing the show! NYA tickets to all tiers will be available today. We will have the announcement and ticket sales up very soon.
    NYA

Rockinrob and Kahunasunset like this.
  25. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Hopefully I can get the code on the “mobile site” since I’ll be at work all day.