Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. There were guys on the side with GoPro like devices for a good portion of the set. Did not know this was for a stream.

2. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

I have now switched to Chrome on your advice and it works a treat, I'm getting reliable full resolution feedback with no buffering, brilliant. THANKS!!!

garymc likes this.
  3. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Well he answered my (nerdy) question about the history of Sugar Mountain. That was something I really wanted an answer to, and though his answer didn't sound very firm I'm happy with it. I'm very pleased to be able to ask a question of some archival importance to the artist himself while there are still answers to be gleaned. Seriously, I've read so many interviews over the years that bore me, and I've never heard a journalist ask the kind of questions I would, questions about the songs! They only want to ask about the person or other people.
    ...And he wrote more about the song today in Movietone. It would be cool if my question inspired some contemplation on the history of that tune.

Efus, bonus and JoeRockhead like this.
  4. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I don’t think he knows either, he’s not super technical. But it’s worth a shot for sure! I should send in my ny gear questions short list!

5. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

neil's got a new set of answers to letters to the editor up. he answered another one of my questions. he seems to be still be pretty engaged with doing this, so i'd bet he'd respond in some way to your gear questions.

qtrules likes this.
  6. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

there's a question about deja vu being re-released with extra tracks:

bulls-. what about black queen, sea of madness, the lee shore, ivory tower, everybody's alone ... etc. granted not all are NY songs, but there are lots of deja vu outtakes if the boots are to be believed.

footlooseman and DTK like this.
  7. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

letters from the editor:

- early daze has been compiled ... just needs to be mastered. seems he's referring to this one as an album. SRS 01 maybe?
    - ducks record is finished??!!
    - i think we knew this already but the full 18-minute bluenotes (????) version of 0-60 is on 'greatest misses'

8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree.

9. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

All these Neil outtakes look unfinished.

10. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I asked about the Ducks awhile back after no Ducks recordings appeared on the timeline for future release. Neil said it was too soon to talk about release but that recordings existed. What I assumed was that Ducks stuff would be way off down the line after all the other more talked about releases. So very interesting to hear it might be complete. Of all of Neil's bands over the years this era is the one that really seems completely unrepresented officially, and such an interesting time period for him. Anyways I suppose everything Neil says is coming soon is a huge question mark as some of the more imminent things like Alchemy is still not out while things like Songs For Judy and Tuscaloosa mostly came out of nowhere. So much exciting stuff to come out from Neil in the future. I'm still hoping for a more expedited release schedule though. Four a year would be perfect, but we're mostly sitting on about two at the moment.

11. Heart of Gold

Neil wrote in 2 separate answers that Tim Mulligan was working on The Ducks and recorded The Ducks. This is strange because Tim recorded generally the PA mix. I assumed that some Ducks concerts were recorded on multitracks with remote recording trucks.

fourfeathers likes this.
  12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

everybody's alone was an after the goldrush outtake, not deja vu. sea of madness - no vocal has ever surfaced on boots for this, has it? if there is an outtake, probably not CSNY but ATGR

13. Heart of Gold

Everybody's Alone and Sea of Madness are Deja Vu outtakes, but rough.

JoeRockhead and The MEZ like this.
  14. JoeRockhead

there's vocal versions? only ever seen instrumental backing tracks

15. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Any Ducks news is just about the best Neil news I can ask for. Neil never played a more smokin’ guitar than that summer. I cannot WAIT to hear Little Wing in NYA-level quality.

Sigma6, Jbird, Graham and 2 others like this.
  16. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the sea of madness i have is a studio take, with a false start. sounds like there might be crosby vocals on there too.

everybody's alone is with neil only, full band, with lots of organ. both are complete songs and sound great.

they're on a bootleg called "studio outtakes 1969".

The MEZ and JoeRockhead like this.
  17. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

there's also a version of steven's ivory tower that sounds damn near finished. it even has some studio banter before the song songs for proper.

The MEZ and JoeRockhead like this.
  18. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Interesting point. People who were at the shows at the time specifically have mentioned a recording truck being parked outside the venue at several venues that Summer. And Neil confirmed before that multiple shows were recorded. He didn't make mention of a soundboard or PA mix and since most of the material so far is multitrack (with the exception of Songs For Judy which was a combination) I think it's a fairly safe assumption we are talking multitrack recordings. Perhaps Tim Mulligan recorded these because of the unusual nature of the shows. They were just living in Santa Cruz and playing random venues whenever they felt like, some of which were incredible small venues booked spur of the moment, so perhaps because of that Mulligan was assigned to recording duties. Perhaps another question that could be posed to Neil.

I'd be very interested to know which shows were recorded, the band played for about two months with shows at:
    - The Back Room at The New Riverside (3 shows)
    - The Crossroads Club (5 shows)
    - The Steamship (1 show)
    - The Catalyst (7 shows)
    - Veterans Auditorium (1 show)
    - Civic Auditorium (3 shows)

So obviously some very different style venues from tiny clubs and bars to holding a few hundred people up to the couple thousand that fit into the Civic Auditorium. One thing that makes a Ducks release interesting is just how many songs they played in that time span. Each show could be quite different from the one before it, so I'm curious to see how Neil would handle a release of their material. 3-4 sides of vinyl as has been the norm for the Archive releases so far might not be immersive enough. Anyways as mentioned above any Ducks news is good news!

19. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

Unfortunately it is only in German but I guess you can use the Google translator.

ExHead likes this.
  20. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

This is enormous Neil news in my books!
    Neil just mentioned that Helpless is on Early Daze! The Crazy Horse recording of Helpless was a legendary version long thought to be lost or never recorded as Crazy Horse are said to have only run through the song once and the engineer didn't push the record button.
    Maybe they recorded it again or maybe the story is bogus?

21. Heart of Gold

Album of week is After The Gold Rush. Wondering and Helpless on Ear
    It could be on a tape recently discovered like the longer Birds or the Helpless recording of September '69, maybe erroneously attributed to CSNY.

22. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

My guess is the story is essentially correct but the Early Daze version is a separate thing. Hopefully I'm wrong though! It would indeed be an exciting discovery.

andyediewatt, qtrules and Syscrusher like this.
  23. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

a CH helpless is absolutely HUGE, and i say that with it being my least favourite NY song.

release early daze!!

24. JoeRockhead

could have been a bogus story about Helpless, or maybe just forgotten. Neil said in several interviews in the 1980s that the Mynah Birds never recorded anything, then later said that they never finished anything when there were in fact three tracks finished. I guess in his defense he probably hadn't thought about those sessions in 20 years and since they were never booted (until shortly before release on the Motown singles series), maybe he just misremembered.

Indeed, great news about Helpless.

25. dagobah

dagobah Forum Resident

My question is not related to the topics currently being discussed but I don't see the need to start a new thread. My question concerns the acoustic version of I've Been Waiting For You on the album Sugar Mountain: Live At Canterbury House 1968. I love that version and I'm very grateful that Neil released it. I did a primitive search on YouTube to find other live acoustic versions performed by Neil but did not find any. Where can I find others?

Syscrusher likes this.