Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

22 Oct. A Rusted Garage Tour, 23 Weld. 29 Oct. Mirror Ball Live, 30 oct Mountain Top. 4 Nov Solo Trans, 5Nov. Unplugged. Incredible serie of Neil Young movies.

2. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'd buy a dvd or blu of Rusted Garage.

3. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I wonder if Sample and Hold is in the video version of unplugged.

I need to find the time to watch these when they’re broadcast

4. Heart of Gold

Neil has substantially opened us all his video vaults. He's very generous with his fans. Maybe the recent death of Elliott Roberts has accelerated this process.

footlooseman, qtrules and dtuck90 like this.
  5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It’s on the timeline as an unreleased album so an audio/video package would be welcome

unclefred and Heart of Gold like this.
  6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Thanks for dropping by. Too bad you’re too busy these days to offer a complete critique.

[​IMG]

7. Heart of Gold

8. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

The thing about Rusted Garage (or at least, the Cow Palace film) is it's already out there on bootleg in decent quality. I'd buy it too, for sure, but I'm much more enthusiastic about London, Mirrorball Live etc: ones that we've heard about for years but have never been unleashed from the vault until now. And some we haven't heard about, like the revelatory Le Noise outtakes.

There's a great 2 disc laser-disc transfer of Weld out there on the net (along with a lot of inferior versions as well), which may be superseded by the NYA broadcast.

I think the films on NYA should be streamed in standard resolution, and made available to download in HD for an extra modest fee per film. Or streamed in HD for an optional higher subscription fee.

(I like a bargain as much as the next fan, but the problem with cheap things is you need to sell a hell of a lot of them for the business to become sustainable).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Rockinrob, dtuck90 and Heart of Gold like this.
  9. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

I hate that the concerts in his website aren’t on demand. They usually go available when its around 01:00am where I live.
    I hope they can solve this, or release the concerts in physical media.

fourfeathers and GregK like this.
  10. Willy J

Willy J Forum Resident

They're available for 24 hours so I'm not sure what difference it makes when that window begins or ends.

ARK likes this.
  11. Heart of Gold

It's available for 24 h.

ARK likes this.
  12. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Really? Thats better. But still not good enough!! :D
    But I love the archives nonetheless.

13. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

Every audio copy of acoustic S&H that I've heard has some type of harsh defect. I've always wondered if it was the master tape and that's the only reason the song didn't make the final cut for release.

14. polk

polk Forum Resident

As I recall, Neil said at the time that he didn't like the way the band played S&H and that's why he didn't include it.

ET3311 likes this.
  15. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Big week coming up on NYA. Mirrorball Live is one of my Neil Young holy grails along with Homegrown, Archives Vol 2 etc etc. Looking forward to viewing it is an understatement. I hope the gig will be there in full.

footlooseman and Syscrusher like this.
  16. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Got my ticket for Mountaintop this coming Tuesday. Pretty excited.

17. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Trans Am from "the making of Sleeps With Angels" now streaming at the Hearse Theatre. Pretty cool. Neil writes in the Times-Contrarian that it was only discovered this October.

18. Heart of Gold

Oh well, David Briggs looked young when he was recording. That death, what's a pity!

19. RoyalPineapple

I've had it on DVD/VCD for 15 years. They seem to have started completely from scratch following the departure of Joel Bernstein, which seems like a bit of a waste of his efforts.

Lost In The Flood and GregK like this.
  20. RoyalPineapple

From memory, the tracklist of Larry Johnson's Sleeps With Angels documentary is:

My Heart
    Prime Of Life
    Sleeps With Angels (already on youtube)
    Safeway Cart
    Trans Am
    Piece Of Crap (audio only/credits)

The film is a great, suitably spooky and murky accompaniment to the album, featuring the master takes (rather than the slightly haphazard recitals for The Complex Sessions) and a few clips of Neil, Briggs and the band talking between sessions. It will be a great addition to the Archives site.

Hopefully the Archives crew have access to footage not included in the original documentary.

Neil writes in Waging Heavy Peace (2012) of reviewing the Sleeps With Angels recordings and video footage if I remember correctly (?).

dixiedixie69 likes this.
  21. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

He's sure nicer to Briggs than Hanlon!

Sigma6 likes this.
  22. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

ET3311 likes this.
  23. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Link doesn’t work for me.

24. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

I'm going with a general comment about outtakes. Still waiting for the promised Tuscaloosa outtakes. Was it The Loner and On The Way Home, yeah?

Get Uncle Eddie to put a bug in Neil's ear. Unless he already has. Not asking for a release each week just a bit faster paced release schedule would be nice. A song or two here and there yah know?

25. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Still 'page not found' for me. Anyone care to let us know what you're talking about. Thanks.