Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I’d gladly pay more if there was an app for my smart tv and videos were on the site longer than a day.

Sean, Turbo2k, jumpinjulian and 5 others like this.
  2. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Happy Birthday, Shakey!

3. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

long may you run.

tug_of_war and Biscuit1970 like this.
  4. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

Birthday present

UNCLE EDDIE'S CUPBOARD
    Uncle Eddie has focused Neil's attention on his unreleased catalogue. So how many songs are we in theory talking about? Well of course a lot of Neil's songs from the early days were never recorded, at least as far as we know, and then there is the question of whether you include live performances of songs he has covered. Some like A Day In The Life or Eight Miles High are as good as anything he has released.
    For the completists amongst you, here is a summary list which includes everything so far unreleased on official albums etc. It includes performances of covers on which Neil plays a leading role (i.e. not just as a backing artist, though this is a grey area).
    There are close to 250 titles in total and that's just the confirmed ones. There are a lot more unconfirmed possibles. I would guess only 50 or so have a chance of seeing the light of day, excluding a possible Ducks compilation.
    No doubt there are errors and some questionable items here. I would welcome feedback and corrections as always. It is a work in progress,
    Hope you find it useful / interesting.

#NY Unreleased Archive V7_Abridged_12112019.pdf

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    mestreech likes this.
  5. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Yeah, I gotta say I was surprised when I popped open the YT site, and there was Neil on an Amazon digital ad promoting their new music HD service.
    "Been waiting 30 years for this." I'm guessing Bezos cut him a nice check for that.
    The times have changed for sure, but Neil's gotta do what he's gotta do to keep his thing going.

Anyhow, happy birthday, Neil, glad you're still with us!
    Long may you run...

6. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Neil answered my email on NYA last week. I asked him if there was an analog master for Mirror Ball. He said no, but they were considering remastering through a high-quality DAC to 24/192 and vinyl.
    That brings up some more questions...if anyone knows some of the whys and hows, feel free to share your thoughts:
    What do we call something recorded at 16/44.1 or 16/48 or even 24-bit - but then remastered to 24/192 through a DAC? And what does it do to the SQ?
    Recently, Neil has put a few albums on NYA (in 24/192) that I assumed had been recorded in 16/44.1. Landing On Water and This Note's For You. They both sound incredible...but now I am guessing an analog tape was used.
    It brings up the question, "Can all 16-bit digital recordings be upsampled to high-resolution and be made to sound better?"
    Maybe we'll see remasterings of all of Neil's 16-bit recordings. Frankly, some of them already sound amazing on NYA full-stream at 16/44.1.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Sean, raphph, bonus and 1 other person like this.
  7. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

I think it's clear that 16/44.1 should itself be considered Hi-Res Audio.

8. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

There's a correction to be made. Come Along And Say You Will/Lonely Weekend should be 1972. For some reason it is entered as 1964.

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Sean and tug_of_war like this.
  10. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Syscrusher likes this.
  11. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

So before this can happen Neil needs to figure out how to beat piracy altogether. Gotta say, seems on par with every other release plan he’s ever had.

ARK, Sean, Efus and 6 others like this.
  12. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Further reinforces my belief they will announce a higher cost tier soon for access to all this.

13. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Eddie is my uncle, and I wrote the letter. I’m glad it moved Neil, but I don’t think it will have any effect on Neil’s release schedule.

cartologist, Alan57, Sean and 3 others like this.
  14. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Only thing stopping them is what Crush noted, how to deal with it leaking to the Net.

But other than that, what other options does he have here?
    Looks like they're going to try to tap who they already have and get them to spend more. Maybe pick up a few more subscribers doing it.

The cost of the tier will be interesting.
    Estimate what its costing Neil, minus what he's bringing in now, and it should give you a ballpark idea.
    Don't have, or have a clue on those numbers, others may have a better idea on that info,
    but if it costs them 500k annually to run the site, they're going to need 10k subscribers coughing up 50 bucks to cover it.

Unfortunately, numbers will tell the story here, not the music.

15. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Anybody else having issues watching Solo Trans online? Terrible lagging here.

16. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

The King Crimson site has a thing called the 10000 Club. 1000 members who pay $100 per year and get $500 worth of downloads. Of course, they have a lot more live archival downloads to offer.

Efus, Percy Song, hodgo and 2 others like this.
  17. Heart of Gold

No problems here. Great video.

18. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

It played fine for me as well. I found it very enjoyable with a good mix of tracks.

ET3311 and Heart of Gold like this.
  19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

20. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

No.

21. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

It's actually called the 1000 Club, and it is a spectacular deal.

22. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Everything is officially scrapped every 5 minutes or so.

Pay absolutely no attention to what Neil says is coming next, believe it only when you see or hear it.

ExHead, Alan57, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  23. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Kinda like life, eh?

24. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

letters to the editor:

- some outtakes coming before 2020, but a "deluge" is coming next year
    - they are considering making their own NYA social media service, ala facebook or twitter baked into NYA i presume?
    - greendale live with crazy horse coming — seems they're using the shows from toronto
    - more music from friends and relatives coming to the archives
    - greendale live at vicar st. coming soon
    - not sure if they have the rights to the desert trip show
    - my question about neil's paintings was answered :D :D
    - more vinyl coming soon
    - you never call from journeys should be coming next year

Sean, JoeRockhead, Syscrusher and 9 others like this.
  25. Heart of Gold

A short video of We don't smoke it anymore from Homegrown on the NYA front page. Album early 2020 from the analog masters.