Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

If they "have started adding out-takes" and a "second update" is coming, there must have been a first one. I can't find it though, partly because the website is so badly organised, and partly because it is so badly optimised that it takes over a minute to load a single page. Scrolling through the Times Contrarian is more painful than browsing the web in the 90s.

I am a subscriber, by the way.

2. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

Hah, I thought it was just because I have an older phone, but I guess not!

3. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I'm having the same problem. And I'm using my laptop. Didn't have this problem until a couple of days ago. Guess NYA is going through some changes...

4. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

The app is always slow for me...

5. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I would guess Lost Planet is the science fiction novel he is writing.

6. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

I’m using an i7 laptop! It’s absolutely shocking - it must be the worst website that anyone has created in the last decade

7. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

It’s always been this slow for me. I only have a download speed of 5mbps, which is **** for high-res audio and video, but no other text and picture based web page is anywhere near as slow as the Times Contrarian.

bobcat and tug_of_war like this.
  8. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

9. ra7968

ra7968 Chips & Queso

No. Neil's Sci-Fi book is called "Canary".

ARK and lambfan68 like this.
  10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

In 10 days time that message will get changed to:

“There is some big news coming in the next 20 days.”

:laugh:

tms766, Efus, tug_of_war and 4 others like this.
  11. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

I regret the harshness of this post - the organisation and loading speeds are terrible, but the content is, of course, wonderful.

Efus, Stone Turntable and Vinyl Socks like this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

I truly and truly hope that Rust Bucket is really coming in December. I always kinda lookout to Friday for a new video.

That song selection is just great. Man, if it is in my hands in December I'm gonna put it on repeat for days to expel this sh*tty COVID-filled year!

13. WowBobWow

WowBobWow Forum Resident

With the difficulty of navigating the site, I think they took the name "Contrarian" a bit too far. Good UI is invisible.

ARK, Alan57, tug_of_war and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I use an ipad and have never had any trouble getting around the site.

15. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

wow people use their phone to browse the internet for other things other than ''Train Times'':yikes:

nope, no mater how big they make phones these days I just can't get my head round that.
    Still 'old school' here in the Fretbuzzed household. P.C. is where it's at and a nice big screen and all with an Old School scrolly mouse on a string them wireless things are just gonna break, ain't they?....

16. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

That T-Bone video is, like, the best thing ever.

YoungMark and Biscuit1970 like this.
  17. ra7968

ra7968 Chips & Queso

The first wave was "Wonderin" which, of course, was already in there. Call it a "Pilot Wave" of the concept.

18. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

So if Wonderin' was the complete first update, the previously announced Bad Fog and Dance Dance Dance from Harvest will be the second update and a previously unmentioned Zuma outtake will be third, guess that bumps the Springfield One More Sign, Tuscaloosa Loner and TTN One More Sign back to update four or beyond.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. highway

highway Forum Resident

I was using this quite successfully on my iPad until about a month ago. I do not have a subscription. Did it change back to subscription only about a month ago? I haven’t been able to get it. I was very grateful to get the excellent content for free for a few months.

James Bennett likes this.
  20. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I applaud like crazy Neil's enthusiastic (and clearly hands on) dedication to NYA, his engagement with fans, and his apparently genuine attempts to get his stuff out there. There are plenty of treasures to behold on NYA. I enjoy looking at the "paperwork" and photos and the occasional video clip embedded in the filing cabinet; and The Fireside Sessions have been a true highlight in this venture of his!

Unfortunately it seems the reality is that either his expectations on what can be delivered (particularly in physical form) or our expectations on what can be delivered are just too high and sometimes, frankly, it's felt a bit like this:-

[​IMG]

In recent days I've begun to take a more pragmatic view:-

bobcat, tug_of_war, RayS and 4 others like this.
  21. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Probably 10 years between each update. :hide:

Dylan75 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

If you believe the latter then I think you've got a very harsh view of his fans.

You've only got to consider the number of times Neil or his manager has promoted Archives Vol 2 over the years, to realise that a lot of what he said he would do could have been done a long time ago had his priorities been different. Once Neil's committed himself to doing something publicly then I wish he follow through. If he's any doubts then I wish he'd keep quiet until he's 100% certain he can/will deliver. If, in any kind of life situation someone keeps saying "I'm going to do something that you'll enjoy" & repeatedly fails to deliver then this leads to disillusionment. This is not caused by fans having too high expectations, it's caused by fans believing what they have been told by Neil.

There was a headline in the sports pages of The Times recently. It was soccer related & read "True fandom is accepting a life of unfulfilled hope". In soccer there's always the manager & players sounding off about what they will achieve, more often than not this is hot air. In the music business there's Neil doing the same thing. The difference is Neil doesn't have a opposing team trying to prevent him from achieving what he says he will do. He's no excuses in my book.

Neil Young Archives - Wikipedia

Volume 2: 1972–1982[edit]
    Young's manager Elliot Roberts said in 2009 that Volume 2 would span 1972 through 1982,[5] and would be released "two or three years" after Volume 1.[5] In October 2009, Young told Guitar World that a disc called Time Fades Away II would be included in the second volume, noting: "It's interesting because [Time Fades Away II] has a different drummer than what was on that album. Kenny Buttrey was in there for the first half, and Johnny Barbata came in for the second. It's a completely different thing, with completely different songs."[6] Young has said that "four unreleased albums from this period are being rebuilt ... Chrome Dreams, Homegrown and Oceanside-Countryside are the three unreleased studio albums. Also from this period is the unreleased Odeon-Budokan live recording produced by David Briggs and Tim Mulligan".[7]

In May 2014, Young stated that Volume 2 would be finished by the summer, and that the remaining volumes would be issued relatively quickly following the second.[8] In July 2016, Rolling Stone and the Thrasher's Wheat website reported that Young intends to focus on completing Archives Volume 2 after his tour with Promise of the Real concludes in October. Although a physical release is still planned, it will involve a "high-resolution website" and will also include unreleased works entitled Dume and Hitchhiker. Hitchhiker was released as a standalone album on September 8, 2017. In August 2018, in response to an enquiring fan in the ‘Letters to the Editor’ section of the NYA Times-Contrarian area of his website, Neil had the following to say: "May 2019 the NYA V2 CDs and a separate book by Toshi Onuki will be available. Blu Ray is no longer viable for economic reasons. NYA can give you what the blu ray had though, including Hi Res audio. Thanks NY."[9]

In September 2018, March and April 2019, in response to other fans enquiring on its release in the ‘Letters to the Editor’ section of the NYA, Neil Young stated: "We are currently reviewing all of the unreleased albums from the Volume 2 period, which is the seventies. ‘Songs for Judy’ was one of those. ‘Oceanside Countryside’ is another. We are reviewing the others." ; "NYA vol 2 late this year/before Christmas. Odeon-Budokon is on volume 2 as an album." ; "Volume two has so much content that we have made it into two sets. The first is about ten discs and will include ‘Odeon-Budokon’. The set covers about 4 or 5 years of intense recording and creativity."[10]

In March of 2020, Young confirmed Volume 2 for release on July 24 of that year.[11] The date of the Volume 2 release has later been postponed to August 21, according to the Archives website. It also appears confirmed that Volume 2 will be a 10-CD set covering the prolific period from 1972-1976 and will include Odeon Budokan, a live album and concert film from the Zuma tour’s stops in London and Japan.[12]

23. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

People have reported that the free access stopped a month or so ago, but there seem to be further problems for some with logging in via desktop right at this moment - not for me though. I wonder if this has to do with Neil's plans to move away from the Facebook log-in option or just other changes.

24. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Also make sure you're logged in, the site kicks me out at random every so often and I need to log back in (just checked now and it's happened again).

FourWalledWorld and bobcat like this.
  25. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I'm a fan, too. Maybe I phrased it awkwardly. I mean, I knew what I was trying to say ... :)

Let me try again:-

Unfortunately it seems the reality is that his expectations on what can be delivered (particularly in physical form) are just too high, and our expectations that he might deliver on what he promises are also too high.

We agree.

Musicisthebest likes this.