Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

I'm sorry but it was on the list. You must have missed the first list and are only remembering the revised list. You changed from list to poll.

Released on a website for 48 hours is still released is it not? You've changed the context of your original post. I get what you're saying though. I'm upset too.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    tug_of_war and qtrules like this.
  2. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

You're most welcome. An essential component of the toolkit these days. Store safely, though...

[​IMG]

3. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I made a bootleg series request sometime ago. No reply in the letters. I was wondering if anyone else has made some bootleg series requests and not had a reply? Thought maybe he was saving them... for the timeline or something? Or maybe they've just rejecting my idea outright. I mean he did ask specifically for people to send in their requests.

4. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

Or maybe Neil overpromised or was over optimistic and this is something that will never actually happen?

5. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

I sent in a request for the only show he played in 1980. The dude played the entire side two of Hawks & Doves including Winter Winds! Man those songs get me goin!

I have an audience tape but I'm not sure if it was circulated enough to be considered.

[​IMG]

ARK, footlooseman, qtrules and 5 others like this.
  6. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Good call on Norfolk and Bakersfield.
    Seems a good part of the sources could be of the mono soundboard variety.

Re; Bakersfield, maybe the idea is to release the shows, not recreate the boots.
    Also seems they'd choose things historically signifigant or unusual like Carnegie/Bottom Line (Rainbow '73 would be one as well, imo)

I think that Carnegie Vol 1 & 2, may give us that answer, if both sets appear, maybe thats the plan, if Bakersfield or what? Cleveland I think was attached to that?
    Be crazy to think he'd release a full Bakersfield and full Cleveland show as a vol 1 and 2 release.

A '69 Crazy Horse show would be a find.
    As they were mixing a few live dates with studio sessions for the EKTIN album Jan-March.
    After the album EKTIN was released in May, Neil starts getting pulled in the CSN orbit.

CSNY in '69, there was a Balboa Park boot, a Dec. '69 show from San Diego.
    Out on YT, there's a clip of Neil doing Country Girl solo supposedly from Houston '69 CSNY, and sounds pretty good to me
    Again, not a boot, but you wonder how many potential mono soundboards there could be out there at a time when the music was the big focus with CSNY.

Dont recall anything solo Neil in '69.
    Always figured he'd done an acoustic set before CH comes out, but I dont know that for sure. Certainly not aware of any music from that.
    Of course he had the mini-solo sets in the CSNY shows in '69 and '70 which were killer.
    Again, nothing on boots. But it'd be interesting to hear the nervous folkie from Riverboat '68 starting to get that confidence after Woodstock, both in his songwriting and performing. Like Crosby noted, he just zoomed right on by them.

7. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I sent some very specific information/requests regarding bootlegs and it was not published.

Syscrusher likes this.
  8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Only 512 views ... no wonder the world is in such a mess. :)

adam_777, Efus and Syscrusher like this.
  9. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

It’s a shame the second half - released on another boot lp - was recorded in lower quality.

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

What did you request?
    That goes for anyone else thats forwarded a request to Neil.
    What did you ask for?

Syscrusher likes this.
  11. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

It’s not entirely surprising that Dorothy Chandler 1971 is first on the list - I had had a few ‘off-line’ conversations with...someone...regarding this on and off over the last few years.

But via the website - I asked for, I think, Verde Valley Music Festival 1995 and The ‘Live At The Roman Colossium’ boot from 1976.

Syscrusher likes this.
  12. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I want a Mirror Ball deluxe reissue with highlights from the tour with Pearl Jam, as top priority!

I wonder if there are any outtakes from the sessions too.

13. Syscrusher

I asked for "Goin' Back To Santa Cruz", January 5, 1983. Lotta great versions on that one.

Maybe Bootleg Series should have it's own thread...

ARK, ET3311 and Efus like this.
  14. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Yeah, for sure.

Its not a big secret among the fan base, much disscussed/conjectured for years about whats in the vaults based on what we already know,
    and the quality/history of whats out there, so much.

Verde, PJ Mirrorball all great suggestions.

Top of the head, him at Jones Beach in '89, he and the late Ben Keith playing together. Lost Dogs, Restless stuff is all semi-buried, that Id love to hear something from.

Was reading the insane Wiki entry on Greg Reeves today.
    He was between 14-19 years old at Woodstock. Thats unbelievable.
    You start getting granular about what was happening at the time around Neil, and its nuts.
    How Crosby and Nash got Reeves cant possibly be true....
    I'm hanging with Rick James and these 2 guys want to know if I want to get in the limo and go jam with them.
    And then it got weird...

Greg Reeves - Wikipedia

Syscrusher likes this.
  15. Syscrusher

It’s a cool story. I think the drummer for Santana was 15 or 16 as well. And he features prominently in the film, deservedly so.

Efus likes this.
  16. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

There's a new batch of letters.

Efus, RayS and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

LOADS of info in this letters dump.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

I still got that Bread & Roses bootleg lingering around...

ET3311, footlooseman and qtrules like this.
  19. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i think the covid quarantine has forced neil to line up his ducks, so to speak, and create something of a blueprint for NYA for the next 3-5 years.

20. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I'm glad to see Neil is being honest about some projects saying they are a ways off, for awhile it seemed like everything was "in the can" or "coming soon" glad to see some level of prioritization. Interestingly in his article about the bootleg series posted yesterday he mentions 5 shows in 2020, then in the Letters to Editor from today he says 5 shows in early 2021.

So it seems these requested shows will be digital timeline only, where as the bootleg series will have physical releases.

Really excited to hear he has Cleveland '73 and plans to release it. That show is mentioned in Shakey as being particularly interesting and ever since reading that book I've always wanted to hear that show.

Matthew Tate, qtrules and Syscrusher like this.
  21. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

If he follows through on his promise to not include any previously released discs in Archives 3 it makes the letters to the editor 100% worth it.

ARK, Matthew Tate and adam_777 like this.
  22. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

He writes "maybe", if I remember correctly.

Matthew Tate and adam_777 like this.
  23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I lost track. How many days left in the “big announcement” countdown?

tug_of_war and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Already 2 days over I think?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Today is the tenth day, he sent the email July 30th

The way the Email reads is that the big news pertains to the Contrarian itself. So the big news could be the Audio and Politics question pages he just mentioned in the LTE.

Matthew Tate and RayS like this.