Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Let’s hope not :)

Syscrusher and adam_777 like this.
  2. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Yes anything that is not them actually giving us music is not what I consider “big”.

Like adding an outtake sticker to Wonderin’.

nbadge, Alan57, Dylan75 and 1 other person like this.
  3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

4. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Why is the big announcement not the bootlegs story? That was posted 10 days after that email comment, if you count July 30 as day 1.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

In Neil's email he specifically has several points, one about high res audio one about the bootleg series and so on The mention of a big announcement is under the bullet point relating to the Times Contrarian and changes coming to it. It's not like the email started with "Big News Coming in 10 days!" it was buried in one of the paragraph points, in this case the Contrarian point itself, so it just stands to reason that comment was directed at some kind of change coming to the Contrarian format. If the big news pertained to the Bootleg Series, or the Outtakes it would I assume be included in the bullet point about those subjects. I could of course be wrong, but it seems to make the most sense. Here is what Neil said inthe email

"The Times-Contrarian paper is always changing . . . sometimes it has one vibe but not for too long, the way life is. It has no schedule, but I’m working on it most days, and it comes and it goes. There is some big news coming in the next 10 days."

DaveJ, Percy Song, garymc and 2 others like this.
  6. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

all very good points. But as much as I love Neil and his work, I find his times-contrarian text is a bit stream of consciousness at times.

7. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Most importantly of which, if my deciphering skills do me justice, is that perhaps Joel Bernstein is a Ween fan?

Kevin j, qtrules and ET3311 like this.
  8. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

November 6, 2020 for Archives 2, he says.

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i would expect an announcement soon then. hope its the same style as archives 1 cd boxset

10. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Oh, gosh, I hope not. There's only room for sardines in that box. I'm trying to think of a worse example of presenting an archive of CDs and I'm struggling. There will be one, I'm sure....

footlooseman, Matthew Tate and bonus like this.
  11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

And the DVD box is the largest in my collection. BTW, I am now getting almost the entire site without paying. All LPS playable in hi-rez,not just the album of the day, only a few videos not accessible.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

We’ll see on November 6, 2020.

13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

just me but i wouldn't want different boxsets sitting around. neil still uses the same cardboard digipaks for archive releases. he just needs to make sure they aren't glued to the cd's this time

14. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

lol y'all talking about this like it's actually coming out

15. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

You sound like the guy who said that about Homegrown. Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

ARK, Kahunasunset, Graham and 7 others like this.
  16. Justin Brooks

i actually never doubted it once they showed that little video clip. i figured it would be delayed but i believed it was coming out. can't say that about a lot of the rest of the stuff.

17. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

18. Justin Brooks

maybe? i guess those are just the tapes since they were still finalizing the tracklist as of a couple weeks ago?

Matthew Tate and tug_of_war like this.
  19. TurnerTrunk444

TurnerTrunk444 Well "Moo" To You Too!

I'm honestly more excited for anything new from Neil, especially if this EP is accompanying a new LP as well (Glad to still see him so prolific, a real gift). We'll get Archives 2 and beyond in time, but I'd rather hear more of what Neil wants to say now, while he's still on this Earth. The more he gives us now, the more we will have to all look back on. Long may you run sir! Looking forward to this in September.

20. It is not an either/or.There is no reason to put the Archives program in a deep freeze every time he wants to put something new out.Although Neil seemed to be using this excuse around Monsanto Years time.
    I would like to hear the archival music while I’m “still on this Earth”.
    Anyway economic reasons will hopefully prevail.Some of the new Neil Young albums in recent years have struggled to make the top 100 in album charts which contrasts with Homegrown making number 2.
    Sort of encouraged by a reply in the latest set of letters that he hasn’t been writing because he is fixated on getting the Archives project done.Long may this fixation run.

21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Archives ain’t gonna make big bucks either. His audience is becoming...more selective.

22. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I'll still take him over a puppet show any day.

ARK, Billy_Sunday, Woodville and 4 others like this.
  23. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

But we won't see a new album so soon. He has just aswered the second "letter to the editor" regarding this subject by saying that he hasn't written anything new yet.
    No need to wait. It's on one of the latest editions of the Fireside Sessions on NYA. It's there already...

TurnerTrunk444 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. TurnerTrunk444

TurnerTrunk444 Well "Moo" To You Too!

Oh ok, my mistake, I haven't read the latest letters yet. Last I heard he was putting out this EP, then he has more to announce in ten or so days, so my mind immediately went to "he's also announcing a new LP!". Again, only considering how prolific he can be! If its just an EP, then cool, we'll get the next archives sooner then.

All I was trying to say is: if an artist chooses to say something now, he has the right to, because its all their work or course. If, lets just say, "The Times" was a full LP coming out this year, and Archives 2 is also coming out this year, which do you think will overshadow the other? Especially with a title like "The Times", sounds like he has a hell of a lot to say about Trump and what's going on in the world currently, and he'd want us all to hear it clearly, and not have us distracted by Archives 2 at the same time. He knows what he's doing, looking forward to Archives 2 as well.

steelinYaThighs and tug_of_war like this.
  25. Ken Norris

Ken Norris Forum Resident

He's suing Trump and he announced the Bootleg Series, all in the past 10 days.

Maybe there's something else.

TurnerTrunk444 likes this.