Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

yes there is. I use chrome browser extension Imageye.
    Thats what I used to snag the album covers for Vol. 2.

I saw someone posting here about digging through the code to find the image URL. No need with the extension. It pulls it all for you and you one click download all images or select which ones you want.

2. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

You, sir, are a saint.

unclefred and ET3311 like this.
  3. minne

minne Forum Resident

I wasn't aware of that extension. It is indeed much easier than the method I described. You learn everyday!
    Thanks a lot.

ET3311 likes this.
  4. liverust

liverust Forum Resident

Very nice. This is a great help. Appreciate the share.

ET3311 likes this.
  5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I am on my 3rd complete trip through the box, even with relistening to the 2.9 discs I already owned for OCD reasons. :)

Putting aside all other issues about price, availability, repetitiveness, etc. and just talking about the music - holy cow! I'll be listening to these discs for the rest of my life (long may I run).

6. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Same. On my 3rd listen. That disc1 is sublime. CSNY Human Highway is tasty.

JoeRockhead and RayS like this.
  7. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Enjoying the version of The Loner on the Everybody's Alone disc, loving the piano sound and where it is in the mix. Also would be cool to hear the whole 2-18 show that Last Trip To Tulsa is from as a timeline concert.

8. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

That 2000 tour was great for hardcore fans. There was a lot of booing at the show I attended.

9. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I bet he didn't play "Heart Of Gold" that night. :D

ET3311 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

That's disgraceful. :shake:

tug_of_war likes this.
  11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Yep!

It really is “stupefyingly great”! Meaning, outstanding!

Also, the “repetitiveness issue” that people are discussing, is simply not an issue with me. Clearly, Neil just doesn’t want a “rarities only” set, and he’s using previously issued material as context to fill in his story. Works for me!

12. m_y_t_h

m_y_t_h Forum Resident

I'm not sure if I'm being naïve, but I don't think Neil is putting in previously released material in the boxsets to sell the same things twice. I believe that he sees this as the best way to tell his career's story and live performances are integral to this. There may be some out-of-touch-ness about it all, but I don't think it's a scheme. He seemed to express some openness to doing things differently in the future. I'm assuming that Boarding House will be a big part of Volume 3 and, if it is, any potential standalone release should happen after the boxset is released. We'll see what happens with Songs for Judy.

laf848, monkeyboy67, oneway23 and 6 others like this.
  13. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

agreed. The three Topanga discs from Vol. 1 are a great listen. Would have loved more unreleased material but I can see where Neil was going with the themed discs. Same thing here. If you can put initial disappoint aside - admittedly, not easy! why isn't that Ambulance Blues demo on the Walk On disc! - it is an amazing listen.

andyediewatt and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

there's a sneak preview of a studio version of "singer without a song" from the 2012 on the NYA-C homepage.

15. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

and live at the bbc, 1971 will premiere on the hearse theatre this weekend.

16. m_y_t_h

m_y_t_h Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to wait until I'm on a desktop since the Times-Contrarian freezes the app every time I attempt to open it.

17. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I like that much more than the live versions. Country Horse version is sweet!

andyediewatt, tug_of_war and qtrules like this.
  18. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

GOAT versions of 'Journey Through the Past' and 'A Man Needs a Maid' found on that BBC performance.

Chills.

19. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

My favourite thing about that performance is the way those kids are just sitting there in enraptured silence listening. Nobody is mugging for the cameras, nobody is distracted with private conversation or their cell phones. Damn I'd like to experience a concert like that where everyone is totally focused and invested in the performance.

20. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

When he sits there and notices two drink cups and stops himself to say "Huh, two of these?". Gets me every time.

Twinge Crispy likes this.
  21. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Anyone knows how to put together a playlist mixing together old tracks with the new. For CD fans, it's not difficult to burn a compilation disc, either.

So does the unreleased material work well amongst previously released tracks from the same period? Of course it does. Re-imagining Homegrown and Zuma is half the fun!

But would a deluxe (physical) box set have more of a punch if it wasn't 70% re-packaging? Of course it would. Especially when you consider what has been left off in favour of a re-run of Homegrown, Tuscaloosa and Roxy.

Overall, compared to Vol 1, Neil's new set leans more strongly into the unreleased gems, and hopefully Vol 3 will take this trend even further.

(Yes, Warner knows they are dealing with a fan-base that is almost pleading to keep re-purchasing the same stuff: so in fairness, who can blame them?)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Billy_Sunday and Boswell like this.
  22. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

Edit: replying to @adam_777 above.

Present pandemic notwithstanding, Tool have a very strict no-cell-phone policy at their concerts. They get security to kick people out if they’re using their phones. It makes for a very awesome immersive concert experience. I wish more artists would do this.

or, a million-dollar idea of mine, have the different sections of the venue divided into “quiet, just want to sit and listen” sections, “want to stand up and dance and sing along” sections, “want to take pics and read stuff on my phone” sections, and “just want to drink and will be getting up and going to the bathroom many times” sections. So you’d select where you want to sit when you buy the tickets.

Billy_Sunday and JoeRockhead like this.
  23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

So the surprise "sleeper" portion of Archives II for me is definitely the "Long May You Run" sessions. The album has never been a particular favorite of mine, but the outtakes are gold. Gold , Jerry, gold!

ARK, Billy_Sunday, bonus and 12 others like this.
  24. IHeartRecordsAz

A major “Message from Neil” has been posted to the Times-Contrarian, where he elaborates on future plans for the NYA site and future archival releases, and how he feels the site “is beginning to realize some of its potential”:

-Next year will see “more records than any year in [his] history” released. In addition to what’s on the timeline, he mentions Road of Plenty, Noise and Flowers, Timeless Orpheum and Alchemy as being planned for 2021 (though with no scheduled dates).

-He brings up the mass release of the first six albums of the Original Bootleg Series, with Carnegie Hall planned (“hopefully”) for RSD and the other five to follow “close behind. Real close.”

-He says he’s doing all of this now (ie mass releasing stuff) so he can “enjoy the reactions to these works.” COVID has also “provided the focused time for uninterrupted completion.”

-Another interesting part of this message: “I no longer wait for records to have a life and then release another. It’s another world now. The Archives is opening up.”

-He again mentions “new tiers, surprising new features and obscure content with the stories of how it all fits in.”

-John Hanlon is working with Neil to produce Vol. III, which is slated for 2022.

-Lastly, a series of DVD and Blu-Ray for limited release only at NYA “will bring all of our films to you in a tangible form in the next two years.”

25. IHeartRecordsAz

I will say that the “no longer wait[ing] for records to have a life” quote sounds similar to how, back in March of this year when the COVID pandemic started, they originally said that they planned to release everything “as originally planned” on NYA first and then physically later as the CDs and vinyl were pressed and shipped. And just like then, I feel like Warner/Reprise will want these releases to have that space. Which again makes me think that the best way for NYA to thrive is if Neil fully goes independent.

tug_of_war likes this.