Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Can you buy downloads for the (not released on Archives) outtakes?

fatwad666 likes this.
  2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Somewhere I’ve got a news clipping from the late ‘70s about a mellow longhair band that made the mistake of booking a gig at Mabuhay Gardens, a fearsome San Francisco punk club. They didn’t get very far before the punks started chanting “Kill the hippies!” Alarmed, the band produced a grocery bag full of joints and tried to mollify the hostile mob by throwing the spliffs into the audience. After lighting up, the punks resumed chanting, “Kill the hippies anyway!”

I think of this story after seeing that despite the metric buttload of astounding music Neil Young has been releasing lately, people are still doing the same old Neil is soooooo unreliable, he promised meeeee alllll these other albums, Uncle Eddie is cryyyyying posts.

:laugh:

3. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

I finally got through the set and my complaint is Odeon Budokan should've been longer....other than that I think it's an amazing set. Really would've loved a live version of Country Home.

4. monkeyboy67

monkeyboy67 Forum Resident

Perhaps, but it's also pretty perfect as is (particularly if one thinks about it being released as a single LP in 1976 - it would likely be ranked as one Neil's best efforts). I've tacked on "Mellow My Mind" and the live "Midnight on the Bay" from Disc 9 of the Archives at the end and those actually work pretty well as a closing coda.

5. m_y_t_h

m_y_t_h Forum Resident

I really like this version of "Midnight on the Bay." I'm pretty sure it'll be my go-to.

(Of course the version of "Mellow My Mind" is phenomenal.)

Jake362, qtrules and monkeyboy67 like this.
  6. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

The Buffalo Springfield outtake is a demo of “Runaround Babe,” is high is from the same session as the demo version of “Flying on the Ground is Wrong” on Vol. I. Also that’s the same version of “I’m a Man (and I Can’t Cry)” as the one on Vol. I, as well.

Heart of Gold and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

"The rule is, there are no rules"!

Already promised but not yet delivered are three more:
    Birds, Neil Young outtake, 28 Aug 1968, already on AV1 Topanga 1! and
    Birds, After The Goldrush outtake, 2-5 Aug 1969, not the AV1 version and not previously released
    One More Sign, Tonight’s The Night outtake, 26 Aug 1973 , not previously released

8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Neil, Neil, orange peel ...

9. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

Outtakes from the albums themselves, not the Archives?

10. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Not yet but I do believe he said they would be.

Also assuming the phrase “sneak preview” means we’ll get those songs somewhere down the road. Ambulance Blues would have been better served as an outtake.

tug_of_war likes this.
  11. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

1971 was Neil's peak as a performer in my opinion. His voice, his guitar, his banter, his evolution nightly and debuting/re-working songs--sheer brilliance and authenticity.
    I get chills listening to Old Man, and Needle, and well, virtually every song. His melodic phrasing was also other worldly...
    NYF

12. Syscrusher

I used to think that. Until I heard the these June 1974 recordings. Complete mastery of the voice.

ra7968 likes this.
  13. ra7968

ra7968 Chips & Queso

They have a "DEMO" category in NYA as well. It would make sense for the sneak preview Ambulance Blues to be added as a DEMO for OTB.

Syscrusher and tug_of_war like this.
  14. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Man, I can't see it anywhere.

15. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

For anyone that's remotely interested, a hi-res version of the 50th anniversary reissue of ATGR is now available to purchase at his digital store: NYA Download Store

16. monkeyboy67

monkeyboy67 Forum Resident

Hahaha . . . love ya Neil, but no.

ARK and Twinge Crispy like this.
  17. Delightened1

Delightened1 Forum Resident

Strangely the 50th vers. has slightly different track lengths than the other version of ATGR that is for sale by Neil's Hi-res store.

Another thing I'm not sure that's been noted is that the On The Beach tracks that are on NYA vol. II are Hi-res at a sample rate of 24 / 192. Before now they capped at 24 /176.4. Not sure it's worth investigating, but it's definitely inaresting !

Billy_Sunday and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

That's because the master of On The Beach the album is from the time when he was mastering his records for DVD-A and everything was being done in multiples of 44.1. The Archives II tracks are fresh masters from more recent transfers. Re-Ac-Tor, Hawks & Doves and American Stars 'N Bars are the same and the latter two also share songs with Archives II.

The "outtake" version of Dance Dance Dance with the Stray Gators from the Harvest sessions is also 176.4/24, which indicates to me that the first Archives box was mastered at that sample rate and then, at some point, it was all done from scratch again, but that song had been rejected by that point.

EwaWoowa, csnfan and Heart of Gold like this.
  19. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

They sound great, too. The upgraded On the Beach tracks are stunning.
    Also, live "Love to Burn" in the Hearse Theater today!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Billy_Sunday likes this.
  20. Syscrusher

Hey RP,
    Are you, or anyone, able to extole on the virtues of the live performances of 'Last Dance' from 1973 for me?
    Like what's the best one? Isn't there a really long crazy version on one of the bootlegs?
    I was thinking about Last Dance, and I don't know too much other than the released version(s).

Rasselas likes this.
  21. edgwareman

edgwareman Forum Resident

Can anyone here tell me how to redeem the subscription code sent to me from Greedy Hand? I have redeemed the download code but the ACTIVATE link for the subscription they sent me does the following:
    On my laptop it returns a blank screen.
    On my iPad it returns the spinning record spider.
    On my iPhone it returns a '404 oh nos We couldn't find that page'.

Greedy Hand either don’t respond or send me the info for the downloads. I want to get my free 1yr subscription.

Can anyone here help?

22. Delightened1

Delightened1 Forum Resident

Yeah, I haven’t had a chance to A/B the On The Beach tracks yet but it’s definitely intriguing. I wonder if those of us that bought On the Beach. Re-Ac-Tor, Hawks & Doves and American Stars 'N Bars will soon be receiving free upgrade downloads from the Greedy Hand/Ora Stream. Doubt it, but one can dream !

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  23. rd19

rd19 Forum Resident

Redemption of the subscription code seems to require a couple of steps, at least for existing subscribers. A few days before my annual renewal date, I canceled the auto renewal on my existing subscription so that my credit card would not be charged. On the renewal date, I received an e-mail that my subscription had officially expired. I then logged in to my account and was able to subscribe again using the gift code.

24. Ken Viola

Ken Viola Forum Resident

The Best one I experienced was Boston Music Hall, long, edgy chanting over & over at the end with the lights up & Buttrey on drums.

25. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I don't believe they've upgraded the resolution of all of the album tracks.