Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Maybe there won't be any recordings from Rust Never Sleeps included in the box set, except for Sail Away and maybe some of the electric songs. Depending on what was done in the studio and well.

Matthew Tate and m_y_t_h like this.
  2. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

To this stage I think that everything is just a work in progress. Anyway, It's interesting to see the things unfolding live directly from the Neil Young's words.

JoeRockhead and IHeartRecordsAz like this.
  3. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

That version of Homegrown is the best I've heard.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. baruk

baruk Well-Known Member

Which version?

tug_of_war and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The Rust Bucket version previewed on the NYA home page.

6. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

I've always said that Neil is the worst judge of his recorded output, and the least reliable source of information.
    He's my favorite musician and I love the archival releases and the website, etc., but ole' Shakey changes his mind and memories
    quicker than I can inhale and exhale.

He hates Time Fades Away--'nuff said!
    NYF

7. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Sedan Delivery, a Zuma outtake, 'soon' coming to the archives, per the note that goes with the RNS version of the song in the Hearse theatre.

8. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Woooohooo. And then we get the acoustic "Hold Back The Tears" and that's it: all of "Chrome Dreams" has been (separately) released! And we'll have to do is to collect and sequence the tracks.

9. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Now, you know someone (me!) is going to ask you to identify / list the correct sources for each track, don't you?! :angel:
    (because my Chrome Dreams has the still unreleased "White Line" from the Zuma sessions on it...)

10. tug_of_war

Ouch! I kneeeew I was forgetting something. Well, there is still no proof that the bootleg version is exactly what was intended, so it's possible that this version of "White Line" was going to be on it. And man, to have it with good SQ would be great!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  11. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Neil’s just confirmed that an expanded, 3 LP version of Ragged Glory, titled Ragged Glory: Smell the Horse, will be released in 2021 as part of ORS 5 (as well as in separate LP, CD and digital versions). The bonus tracks that will be included are “Born to Run,” “Interstate, “Boxcar,” and “Don’t Spook the Horse.” Cover work (which is just the original cover with Smell the Horse added) has also been posted.

12. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

Smell the Horse?
    This is the one I’ve been waiting for, but ‘smell’ the horse certainly doesn’t make it more appealing.
    Ride the Horse? Spook the Horse? Ragged Glory Deluxe ?
    Ahh, I see this was the name of the Ragged Glory Tour.

Matthew Tate and IHeartRecordsAz like this.
  13. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Can’t wait for Smell the Horse. I wonder if the bonus tracks are tagged on at the end of the album or if it has a whole new running order.

Instant Dharma and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. J Borland

J Borland Forum Resident

I grew up with horses and believe they smell just fine. Am looking forward to this one but, then again, I say that about most things Neil.

Stone Turntable and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades It's only my opinion

I managed to pick up ORS 2 and 3 CD box sets on Ebay today and Rust Bucket just dropped through my door. Add in the news about Ragged Glory and it's quite the day in my Neil Young world.:)

16. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

White Line was one of six bonus tracks on the expanded Rust Edition boot of Chrome Dreams (BB Chronicles: Neil Young - Chrome Dreams (Unreleased album) - 1975-1976 ). The actual acetate included 12 tracks, as listed here (though some of the dates are suspect, and Joel Bernstein has said this sheet was faked to accompany the original boot):

[​IMG]

ET3311, tug_of_war and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Heart of Gold

All the dates are wrong. Clearly a fake.

tug_of_war and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Yeah, my understanding is the acetate was real (though whether it was the final version of an album isn't clear), but the sheet was a fake. (Though not all of the dates are wrong, at least they got Hurricane, Homegrown and Stringman right.)

tug_of_war and Heart of Gold like this.
  19. Heart of Gold

The Acetetate is real and excellent.

20. tug_of_war

The acetate is real but I doubt it was the final/definitive version.

50 minutes long? That's too long compared to his 1970s albums.
    Also, "Look Out For My Love" seems too randomly placed to me. To be honest, I think the whole track sequence is a mess...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    RomanZ and TheBabbo like this.
  21. Ken Norris

Ken Norris Forum Resident

What happened to ORS 4?

JackOfAllTrades and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

I think the poster above just got a bit mixed up. ORS 4 is Hawks and Doves, Reactor, This Note's for You, and Eldorado. We're not sure what ORS 5 is going to be, but Freedom, Ragged Glory (smelly edition), Arc, and Weld is a good bet. Maybe Harvest Moon.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Ken Norris

Ken Norris Forum Resident

Neil announced ORS 5 today, without detailing its contents. I think he gave more info in a letter a couple of weeks back. Spotlight
    is on Smell The Horse, and in his enthusiasm he forgot to tell us what else is in ORS 5. Somebody will ask him in a letter. I THINK
    he said Freedom, Ragged Glory--Smell the Horse, and Weld a couple of weeks ago.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

That would seem to make more sense.way way looking forward to the expanded Glory/Horse. I do wonder where El Dorado will end up. Maybe tacked onto Freedom? Should be a 2 disc set.

25. cass

cass Forum Resident

Between Vol. 11 Bluenote Cafe and Vol 11.5 Way Down in the Rust Bucket, according to SugarMountain Neil toured with the Ten Workin Men in 1988, and in 1989 The Restless, The Lost Dogs, and Solo with Frank Sampedro and Ben Keith. I'm unfamiliar with these tours, along with most of the 80's stuff, do they warrant their own performance series?

Its pretty amazing that nearly every tour from the 60's-70's is represented or will be soon (Ducks/Boarding House). The only ones missing are 1969 Crazy Horse Tour (probably pretty similar to the Fillmore East 1970, but no acoustic set from these dates), CSNY 1969 Tour (there is Woodstock, but theres also the 1969 Fillmore date used for Sea of Madness on the Woodstock soundtrack, would be nice to hear a long CSNY Down By The River), and the Stills-Young band. And apparently the 1975 Crazy Horse Club Tour, though is this a proper tour?

Any chance the Bootleg series would put out a Buffalo Springfield Bootleg, would seem like the perfect series for them?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Matthew Tate and gabbleratchet7 like this.