Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Live Freedom from the 1989 solo/Poncho/Ben tour is on the timeline as an unreleased album, so possibly 11.25? (Ten Men Workin' was the label used for the final Bluenotes shows after Harold Melvin sued over the rights to that name; Restless/Lost Dogs were different names for the same band, great shows - including my first live Neil exposure - but haven't seen any references to a PS from those.)

bonus, Matthew Tate and cass like this.
  2. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Based on the bootlegs I have, not releasing a Lost Dogs/Dingos/Restless show would be an unfortunate omission. Live Freedom, I would expect that to be the Jones Beach concert or the other one the Freedom VHS is sourced from.

bonus and qtrules like this.
  3. cass

cass Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I would imagine a restless/lost dogs will be released eventually.

It seems the 80's tours are going to be pretty well covered except the Shocking Pinks tour, and Crazy Horse 1984 tour (does this really require a release when there's the 1986 Garage release and Life?), and the Restless/Lost Dogs tour.

4. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

The 1989 shows with the Restless/Lost Dogs were extremely dynamic, with huge volume differences during individual songs. The last verse of the Freedom version of Eldorado features a studio-based example of this.

On top of that, a lot of the shows were played in small theatres with a lot of the sheer volume coming from the on-stage Marshall amps. Whether these amps were properly mic-ed up and multi-tracked is unknown.

So I'm not convinced that NYA have any tapes from this period that will adequately represent the sound. Hopefully, they do.

(In the meantime, the legendary "Bronco Bowl" audience tape is the definitive live album of the first tour with the Restless.)

Syscrusher, Matthew Tate and cass like this.
  5. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Horse '84 "tour" was four shows at the Catalyst, there will be video in Vol. 3. There's also a Solo Trans album on the timeline, unclear whether it will feature any more of the Pinks material than the video version.

Matthew Tate, JoeRockhead and cass like this.
  6. TCP

TCP Forum Resident

Hey guys the past few months have been busy and I haven't been following the NYA news as much. Just wondering what I need to keep an eye out for this year. Here's my understanding of everything confirmed or expected after The Times on vinyl and Rust Bucket. Am I missing anything??
    Confirmed or tentative release dates:
    03/26 Young Shakespeare
    5/28 Eldorado repress
    11/26 ORS 6 boxset (featuring Sleeps with Angels)

No release date yet:
    ORS 5 boxset (featuring expanded Ragged Glory)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. borderwolf

borderwolf prisoner of rock'n'roll

Somewhere in August (Sorry, I don't remember the day)

Matthew Tate, TheBabbo and TCP like this.
  8. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

ORS 5 scheduled for Aug. 6:

[​IMG]

borderwolf, Matthew Tate and TCP like this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Well I guess I'm a little bit behind guys. I just picked up archives volume one on blu-ray. Is $300 a fair price?
    Seems like that's about what it cost when it was new right?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Original list price for Blu-ray box was $350 (vs. $250 for DVD), so not a bad deal.

Matthew Tate and aoxomoxoa like this.
  11. aoxomoxoa

That's what I thought.
    I made an offer to someone on eBay and they accepted.
    I just couldn't fathom the idea of having Volume 2 without owning volume 1.
    I originally passed on buying volume 1 because I had the individual releases that he had put out at the time and downloaded the extra material so I didn't think I needed it.
    But now the completist in me has to have the box!

12. aoxomoxoa

Also, Truth Be Known...
    I never thought he would ever put out volume 2!

Alan57 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Is there a date for ORS Box 4?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Could be May 28 - that's the date shown on the timeline for an Eldorado release, and Neil has said it's part of that box. Unless there's some sort of standalone release (CD or vinyl) planned on that date. Anyway, May would seem to make sense if Box 5 is coming in August, but nothing has been made particularly clear about that in the letters.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

My guess for ORS 4 is Record Store Day (June 12) which is in line with previous ORS box releases. Or it will never be a box. Once El Dorado is released, he's remastered and released all of them individually.

borderwolf and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Both Hanlon and Neil have said it will be, guess we'll see. (Would be odd to have an ORS 5 but no ORS 4, though.)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

When if the next full moon after Young Shakespeare? Yesterday was a full moon and so is March 26. Or maybe OBS will be released in between Shakespeare and ORS 4.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. aoxomoxoa

I didn't realize until today I had only ordered the "retail" version of the box and there was still an "exclusive" version still being re-released.
    This whole thing is so confusing.
    I guess the only place to get the "exclusive" version is through Neil's Webpage?
    Well I just took the plunge. Seems like a lot for 10 CDs and a book but I remind myself that I pay $25+ a disc on Grateful Dead CDs all the time on the used market, so why not? I couldn't stand having Vol 1 in a big box and Vol 2 in a small box. That would really mess with my OCD.

bonus and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. ra7968

ra7968 Chips & Queso

J
    Just don't expect any of the BD-Live functionality to work now.

Harm1985 and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Honestly....I'm very jealous. I bought the CD version when it came out, absolutely love it, but I wish I'd grabbed the DVD or BluRay as well....unfortunately I was barely out of high-school and did not have that kind of cash.

I hope he puts out Journey Thru The Past on an individual release one day

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. cass

cass Forum Resident

There's two live tracks with The Shocking Pinks, at the Hara Arena 1983, on the Lucky Thirteen Compilation. So there's potential.

ARK and TheBabbo like this.
  22. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

Same show filmed for the Solo Trans video, which features both of those songs (Get Gone and Don't Take Your Love Away From Me) along with Payola Blues and Do You Wanna Dance. The Pinks also played Jellyroll Man, Wonderin' and Everybody's Rockin', which aren't in the video.

cass likes this.
  23. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

I'd really like to hear Neil play Old Ways solo. Thats one of the Neil solo songs cut from the film, among many more!

Sugarmtn link: Neil Young

ARK likes this.
  24. liverust

liverust Forum Resident

OK, I am ready for some more outtakes on NYA. Long winter up here in the Great White North.

Let's see the songs that were hinted in the LTTE.

m_y_t_h and ET3311 like this.
  25. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

I was watching Let's Impeach the President from the Deja Vu movie today. Incredibly funny how upset people got when they played that song.

It probably is the most controversial song in the 33 song set list which had many classics (still hoping on a release of a full show), but I'm still surprised at their anger.

The tour started two months after the album was released, this makes me wonder, was the tour already announced before Young recorded LWW and did he change the theme of the tour at the last minute, or was it all planned after he recorded it?