Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Neil is still pissed at Croz. He mentions it in the album of the week note for Storytone.

As much as I detest Croz as a person, it seems a bit much to still be pissed. Croz apologized, and they have been through so much together.

2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

My sympathies are overwhelmingly with Neil on this one.

Judge Judy, Kevin j and JoeRockhead like this.
  3. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Maybe Neil realizes in the limited time he has left, he doesn't want to waste any more of it on this guy. Good for him.

ExHead likes this.
  4. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

I figure if anyone called my wife a"purely poisonous predator" I probably would be done with them.

Judge Judy, Willy J, dtuck90 and 3 others like this.
  5. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

It's a fairly horrific thing to call a friend's partner. In saying that CSNY were never really a great band just a vehicle for Neil to getaway from Crazy Horse for a bit. So overrated and won't be devastated if the group don't get back for a reunion. Poncho playing with Crazy Horse again is another story but very doubtful.

Willy J likes this.
  6. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

Well, until you get divorced and realize he was right all along.

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Seems to me that Neil’s current wife was a successful actress and owned multiple properties before the marriage. Maybe Neil’s the predator in this relationship.

8. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Croz made that comment because of her accusations against Jackson Browne. Wasn’t Browne cleared of any wrongdoing? I don’t remember the details.

FourWalledWorld and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

Sure, that's the way it often goes. Most people are smart enough to not say something like that about a friend's partner until after the divorce, and even then its not a bright idea.

10. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

Surely it would be unexpected if anyone in CSN&Y would hold off on saying anything, or even just wait until the right moment to say it.

Musicisthebest and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

It’s a tortured story with a lot of twists and turns, but Jackson Browne was cleared.

When I first read about Neil and Darryl Hannah (of all people) I thought something very similar to what Crosby said, but my thoughts didn’t break up CSNY.

The more you read about the story, the more Crosby’s comment makes sense (to me, anyway). But of course, it’s insulting, and should not have been aired in public.

Tom Daniels likes this.
  12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

wow. just finally read about all that stuff. it's basically a he said, she said.

Chief likes this.
  13. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Another batch of LTTE have been posted. Not as many tidbits in this batch, but what’s been unveiled is pretty crucial, IMO:

-only “highlights (5 or 6)” from Songs For Judy will be on Volume III.
    -
    When someone asks if we’ll be seeing more live Shocking Pinks material in the near future, Neil responds “more us coming for sure. Pretty soon I hope.” So hopefully that means we’ll be getting some live tracks from those shows on Volume III, as well.

JackAbsolut, Alan57, The MEZ and 4 others like this.
  14. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Also Neil said the following regarding Vol. III in a letter response, as well: “I want volume three to tell as story, so I’m not focusing on hits or known tracks rather the soul of what happened, with new interpretations of many of the known songs, versions I feel as better for this moment.”

Personally, I feel like what he says about Vol. III here is what he’s tried to do with both Vol I and III, as well. But I think this time there’s way more of an opportunity to create an alternate history/roads not taken version of the Archives with this volume, especially since he had so many stylistic detours/live bands during this time. Plus this set will span nearly a decade and a half of his career, as well.

factory44, adamos, The MEZ and 5 others like this.
  15. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I'm beginning to wonder if Archives III will perhaps be TOO much. After all, 15 years of Neil is like 50 of anyone else*

* except Van Morrison

16. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

My Muddy Track DVD came today from the Greedy Hand. 4:3, 480i 30fps video and 48/16 LPCM 2.0 audio. This DVD master was made before 2014 when Will Mitchell was still apart of the NYA team. What distorted sound on this release! LOL! Just kidding, it's supposed to be that way!

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    warewolf95 and ivor like this.
  17. Willy J

Willy J Forum Resident

480i is the true resolution of the Video8 it was shot on—I think up-resing a video master is almost always misguided, but especially in the case of Muddy Track where the camcorder a/v fidelity is arguably the point.

warewolf95 and FrankieFontaine like this.
  18. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

Totally agree with this, but I can't help but be amused by the way NY is talking about it. "Wow, Neil, Archives 3 is great, but where are all the hits? You know, the many radio staples and well-known tracks for which your career in the '80s is so famous?" "Well, of course it would have been easy just to focus on the parade of hits that made me such a financial success for Geffen Records, but it was more important to me to reveal the soul of what happened..."

19. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

I agree!

warewolf95 and Willy J like this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'm getting the queasy feeling that the person responsible for the Timeline Concert of the Week absconded to South America with the Patron money. :)

21. zuma11

zuma11 Forum Resident

I suspect the Timeline Concert approval team of one is celebrating his updated vaccination status with a little traveling and/or recording.

22. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

Just listening to Deja Vu 50th now streaming in Ultra HD on Amazon Music. Why have I never noticed before that Neil sings
    Winding paths through tables and *grass*
    not *glass* in Country Girl?
    Or is it just wishful thinking? Ears play funny tricks, but I certainly don’t hear glass as I used to. Try it.

23. The first point signals a pretty big change in track selection “rules” for Volume 3.From this we can assume they are no longer wedded to the idea of putting previous Archives releases in the boxes.The same sounds as though it might apply to the original albums.Whereas in the past nearly every track from the original album was included now he is not so committed to including “known tracks”.Fine by me in a period that includes the Geffen albums.
    If they are not included he needs to get A Treasure and Bluenote Cafe back into print although again there have been recent hints about an extended version of A Treasure being part of it.
    Every answer from Neil raises more questions.Nothing wrong about that.

24. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

deja vu 50 is on NYA.

it's set up a little differently. if you click on the logo that's on the home screen it will only show the main album. there's an arrow on the right side for "next" that will allow you to click through to the demos, outtakes and alternates. everything has it's own disc.

i can't seem to find this on the regular timeline or cabinet, so no idea how to access this when the shortcut is gone. i didn't try the app.

JoeRockhead and tug_of_war like this.
  25. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

You have to be really precise clicking on the arrow, I shut the screen I don't know how many times before I perfected it.