Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. I think the Springsteen comparison is pretty valid here.He currently releases 13 live shows a year and before people scream Nugs and CD-R’s I will point out that the CD option is priced pretty close to what a similar retail release would be.
    A year or so ago there was a poll on Backstreets asking how many of these people bought.It was a big surprise to me that the majority of people bought every single one-I thought I might be one of the few people doing that.Nugs have said that they have been surprised also by the big percentage of these that were bought on CD rather than download.
    Neil could put out 50 shows (Bruce is up to around 65 archival concerts released) and he would find out that sales would hold up pretty well.The sales of the Official Bootleg shows when they are releasing 6 pretty much simultaneously will give them some idea of the demand.

changeling69 likes this.
  2. PrineHootieWho2000

PrineHootieWho2000 Forum Resident

So with timeline concerts would he essentially about to pull a Springsteen/White move? I wonder if HE has ever considered signing to nugs.net to release shows (he has so much so I couldn't see why he wouldn't)

Tom Favata and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

"He is thinking about releasing timeline concerts on CD" might be a slight stretch - all he said in response to a question about that was a rather offhand, "Maybe. Never thought of that." So he literally has not been thinking about it, and doesn't sound like it will be too high of a priority.

supermd, matt79rome89, ET3311 and 6 others like this.
  4. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

While I won't try to defend the "quaint" design and very imperfect usability of NYA, there are proven ways of handling box sets on NYA and the way they have handled DV50 is clearly disadvantaged. iHeartArizona suggested it may have been the influence of the record company trying to restrict the streaming option to encourage physical media sales or at least paid downloads. However since there are no such hindrances on the other streaming channels such as Amazon, iTunes etc., it would seem stupid for them to restrict their own artist who can promote sales without the middlemen.
    So I can't help feeling that Neil's heart is really not into the project, as we know from the fact that he withdrew other contributions.

5. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i don't think it's a case of look how someone is doing it better than you, i just think neil doesn't want to put concerts out on CD. he wants to control the narrative and the image of how this stuff is released. maybe things will change, but for the time being i think the way they're being put on NYA is all we'll get.

Alan57 likes this.
  6. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

Good point to clarify, but the optimists (myself included) are still pretty pumped that it's even a maybe, and not a "no, wouldn't do that".

Alan57 likes this.
  7. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Like NY stated last year, his 1999 solo acoustic version of "Cortez" from Oakland, CA will be available on the upcoming Almost Famous 20th anniversary release in July, at least on the 5cd version. Man, I remember the first time I saw this movie in 2000, I was 17 and right away I noticed it was Neil playing while Stillwater walked through the airport. This version is essential!

budwhite, ARK, bonus and 2 others like this.
  8. rdog

rdog Forum Resident

Had the "Way Down In The Rust Bucket" DVD ordered back in February, was waiting for the "corrected" version to ship.

Got an email that my order was cancelled due to an incorrect shipping address. Went back to the Greedy Hands store to place another order, and the DVD appears to have vanished...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I was there. An amazing show.

10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Hey fellas. I’m pretty new to Neil Young. I’ve had Decade for a while but I haven’t listened to it too much. I got the Deja Vu 50th set and have been loving it, and decided to play a bit of Decade. I finally heard “Cinammon Girl” and am kinda hooked. That song, along with the two other long songs from his 2nd album, sounded good after smoking a little something. ;)

So, I decided to buy After the Gold Rush 50th, Live at the Fillmore 1970, and Young Shakespeare DVD. This is a good starter set, yeah? I do also have Harvest and Harvest Moon but haven’t spent much time with them. My dad is a big fan so I have access to many other CDs.

A note: I love Neil’s stabby, gritty, thin guitar sound. It’s got a great rawness to it. I was never able to really get into virtuosos like Clapton or Hendrix, but I do like how Neil plays.

Can someone please lead me to one other release that has some great electric Neil?

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  11. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

Zuma is probably the next album in your quest. It’s full of that guitar sound. It’s the album with Cortez the Killer, which you’ll know from Decade.

12. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Seems like you’re missing Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. If “Cinnamon Girl” was your gateway drug, you might as well indulge on the album it was on.

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I do like that song. Thanks for the recommendation.

I almost bought that album yesterday when I bought Gold Rush and the other two items. Since I like “Cinnamon Girl,” “Down by the River,” and “Cowgirl in the Sand,” that album seems like a no brainer. :righton:

14. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Yes. Check out "Zuma" and "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" :love:

supermd and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

I love Everybody Knows... but be aware that the remaining songs on the album are nothing like the ones you mentioned, so, if you’re primarily looking for the electric Neil experience, maybe try Live Rust and get the best of several electric albums. You can’t go wrong as long as you stay south of this century.

supermd, Matthew Tate and tug_of_war like this.
  16. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

You could try the recently released live archival release Way Down in the Rust Bucket. A 1990 guitar fest with Neil and Crazy Horse. One of the best live albums ever. Rocks even harder than Live Rust, I'd say.

17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the title track though is outstanding

ARK, m_y_t_h, bonus and 1 other person like this.
  18. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I was there. Those '99 shows were truly special. Also went to Berkeley and Sacramento.

adam_777 and bonus like this.
  19. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Im a little surprised Neil hasnt released a comp or a show officially from these 1999 shows. Seems they've always been considered top tier shows and with the acoustic setlist being vastly different from any other officially released acoustic sets it seems like itd be a no brainer. Mind you obviously we arent up to that era with Archives yet and maybe he doesnt want the first release to be a timeline concert.

20. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

NEIL'S MISSING RECORDING
    So what is actually “missing” on NYA? Which recordings exist on official releases but have not yet made it into the Archives?
    And what recordings are there on the Archives – outtakes, demos, and other odds and sods – which have not made it onto a Neil album?
    I was a little confused too, so I have done a rewrite of my original “Missing” document to focus on exactly those questions. Many official releases will probably never make it to NYA because they are shorter single edits which don’t really add anything, but the interesting ones are nevertheless included in the list.

It comes to 52 pages in total but I hope the hyperlinks will help you to find your way around. I hope you find it useful.
    Do please please let me know of any errors or omissions. I am pretty sure there are quite a few but I have done my best! Already working on the next version!

Here is a download link to the PDF. You need to have a Google account to access it. Or come to Facebook Groups and download it from there.

#NYU - Neil Youngs Missing Recordings V4.0 (c) Robert Broadfoot 2021.pdf

ARK, Freek999, Billy_Sunday and 5 others like this.
  21. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

Looks great...only thing I could think of that would seem to fit yuur criteria is the extended version of "Bluebird" that was released on a Buffalo Springfield compilation in the '70s.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. 24JGM

24JGM Forum Resident

• The long "Almost Cut My Hair" as well as the Human Highway sessions' "See the Changes" and "Homeward Through the Haze" from the CSN box are missing.
    • The "Déjà Vu" on Bridge School Vol. 2 and the 25th Anniversary release is actually two different performances from each night of the '03 benefit. The one on Vol. 2 is from the first night on 2003/10/25 whereas the one on the Anniversary album is from the following night on the 26th. I had previously confirmed this by listening to boots of both shows.
    • One missing, in a similar case to that live "Drive Back" from iTunes, is a live "Heart of Gold" which was released in 2010 on an download called Before Punk Vol. 2 which is no longer in the iTunes store. No idea on the provenance of this track, but it can be heard here.
    • The Woodstock performance is available on Woodstock: Back to the Garden.

23. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

The Almost Famous box set has Cortez The Killer from Oakland 1999. Twelve string iirc.

Almost Famous 20th Anniversary – uDiscover Music

24. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Excellent work. You have missed the alternative mix of Woodstock from the movie. Stills said the producers asked him to remix it because they didn’t like the double tracked vocals but there are other clear differences in the mix when you compare to both the Deja Vu & box set versions.

Rasselas likes this.
  25. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

He has it’s called Silver & Gold.

Sigma6 likes this.