Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

The second one was added a while back three months ago or so, followed by posts bitching that with 55 years of Neils career to chose from some guy picked a date just days after one already posted.

Those 2013 shows are great though so it didnt bother me none, although I did much prefer for first show which if I remember right was significantly longer too.

Sean, csnfan and ET3311 like this.
  2. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Curious to hear CITS edited. Surely there will be some complaints that wasn't included on the CD. No pleasing some people.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. It is the volume of demand for vinyl.Coloured vinyl does take capacity out of the production system because the presses need to be “cleaned” after each run is done.However even if coloured vinyl didn’t exist the problem would be pretty similar to what we have now.

They have both been there for a while.At one stage the Melbourne Plenary show was supposed to be a major source for the Alchemy Performance Series release but apparently they have found something better.That is hard to believe.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  4. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Sean, Spadeygrove, highway and 6 others like this.
  5. Congratulations on being a regular contributor to the LTTE.It still amazes me that Neil takes the time to sit down and answer letters.I can’t think of another major artist that has ever done this regularly.
    One slight disagreement.I would like 3 CD collection of all the 1969 Canterbury House sets rather than a highlights collection.Full shows can also exist in the Bootleg Series as well as the timeline although I don’t believe these shows have ever been around as a bootleg.
    3 weeks to Carnegie Hall!

6. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Maybe I should have phrased that differently. What I meant to imply is that since they will likely only release highlights of the three concerts after having posted them as a timeline concert, maybe he should consider doing it the other way around as well. I wonder if they would have to exclude songs if they only select highlights.

By the way, they posted the same letter twice, once with the short answer from Neil and now with the longer one, citing the timeline concerts request process.

So if we want both Massey Hall shows or more from Riverboat, we should put in a request I suppose?

7. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Some of you might already know this, but the clean tape feed of a Letter Home is available on the timeline. I requested it a while ago, but I can't remember him actually announcing it's there: Neil Young Archives

8. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Might anyone wonder, the lyric 'Well, somewhere there's a rainbow for me, I know it's my time' from the 2nd Canterbury House concert (as part of The 1956 Bubblegum Disaster>It's My Time) later turned up as part of Cry Cry Cry from Everybody's Rockin'.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  9. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

This summary is something I have been doing for a couple of years every couple of months in the NYA Facebook group. This lastest version got removed by Facebook's algorithm on grounds of "spam" and my appeal led to nothing. I also wrote to NYA to ask if they were behind the complaint and if they have a problem with my quoting large chunks of Neil. They wrote back to say that they not only welcomed the added exposure for NYA but that Neil had personally asked if we would be able to provide these summaries for inclusion on Times-Contrarian! At the risk of it seeming like a bit of duplication since the letters are all there to read in full, I was of course happy to agree. Just so you know I'm not trying to monopolise the Members' page...

10. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

So an article from Neil has just been posted on NYA regarding Vol III, which he’s currently working on with Niko Bolas. It’ll be a “real monster” and “[his] biggest one yet,” with “many” films and documentary audio included amongst the studio and live cuts. He also says that, like Vol. I, there will be a blu-ray version with the films and hi-res audio in addition to a CD version, as well. They’ve also built a handful of unreleased albums from those years, “albums with some familiar tracks but mostly unheard music, as well as completely new ones!”

11. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Taking a well deserved and much needed vacation.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Somewhere in the MidEast.

ARK, JoeF. and fretbuzzed like this.
  13. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

Whittlin' with his knife

RayS likes this.
  14. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

If it came back as Concert of the Month, that would not be a bad thing - We've probably had, what, about 12-14 since last November - Depending on how you count the 3 Canterbury sets?

So a little more than one a month - Makes sense to me to adjust the nomenclature!

Correct me if I'm wrong...

1969 (3-Canterbury)
    1976 (Boulder)
    1984 (San Jose)
    1988 (Bluneotes)
    1989 (Paris)

2001 (Stockholm)
    2009 (British Columbia)
    2010 (Atlanta)
    2013 (Sydney)
    2013 (Melbourne)

2016 (Belfast)
    2019 (Antwerp)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  15. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

[​IMG]

WJA, milankey, Timjosephuk and 12 others like this.
  16. mshare

mshare Forum Resident

Nice work! Are these available anywhere to download?

csnfan and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. ET3311

You'll see them here shortly. I'll upload the higher res image files when I get home from work in a few hours. :righton:

18. Neil should use your covers if he releases them in the Bootleg Series.He could even give you a credit.

ARK, stef1205 and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Where can you find these on the site? Are they not on the app?
    If 13th March 2013 was Melbourne, I was there and it was an incredible gig! Nearly 3 and a half hours from memory and lots of songs off Zuma.
    Would love to hear it again!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  20. You need to be on the higher tier of membership to access them.You then go to the Timeline and you will find them on there under their respective tours.When they put up a new show it is available to all subscribers for a week or 2.
    I don’t think they are accessible from the app but I’m not sure.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  21. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Thanks I found it!
    Unfortunately I only have a regular subscription so it won’t let me listen…

22. ET3311

I dont want to take credit for any of these. I just plucked a few images from SugarMtn or Google and threw a text layer on top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. ET3311

24. ET3311

25. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

You only need to upgrade to the middle-tier, not the "patron" one.

(That gets you a dozen full-length live albums—and counting—exclusive to NYA streaming. It's worth the upgrade.)

I expect the popularity of the NYA exclusives to explode when a) they are made available on mobile and b) those introverted* folks at NYA actually promote them just a little bit.

They don't seem to understand that most people are too busy to be glued to the Times-Contrarian all day, and would appreciate a friendly "heads up" when something exciting is happening.

(Opinion — no, a push notification telling me that "Rust Never Sleeps is album of the week" isn't particularly exciting. In fact, that's the sort of thing that makes me disable push-notifications).

*No hate mail, introverts...I am one too. Behind the pineapple persona.

PS

(Hello everybody :wave: ).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Timjosephuk, babyblue, mshare and 7 others like this.