Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Imagine you've just placed a vinyl copy of Live Rust on the table in front of me.

And, being a generous fellow, you've also brought along a Blu-Ray of Rust Never Sleeps and a double-CD of the new Great Woods 1987 recording.

Next, you abruptly prod me in the belly and say "Here's the deal, Pineapple. You can keep just two of these. So which ones are you gonna choose, buster?".

I think I'd pick the RNS film and this 1987 show.

Yes, it's that much fun. And what a treat to hear a show, in perfectly entertaining sound quality, from what is one of Neil's most overlooked, most obscure tours.

Now, it's possible you're one of those fans ignoring this recording because it's not a slick-looking deluxe set with full-blown marketing campaign and all that b*****ks...

...and that's understandable.

But you're also forgetting for a moment that Neil's most exciting works are often those that slip under the commercial radar. You have to go digging for them.

So my suggestion is to subscribe to NYA immediately and enjoy listening to this show, from start to finish.

Essential listening for Crazy Horse fans? You bet.

Essential listening for Neil Young fans? You bet.

(Extraordinarily good value? Ditto.)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Yeah, good show alright. Neil was definitely wrestling with his differing sides on this one. Could have done without the cheesy drum triggers.

RoyalPineapple likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Is that Great Woods show all electric or are parts solo?

RoyalPineapple likes this.
  4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Part solo

Deckard and RoyalPineapple like this.
  5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Deckard and RoyalPineapple like this.
  6. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Quite a scathing review in that newspaper clipping:
    [​IMG]

I always like how the reviewer likes to think for the audience.

I'm sure there's plenty of people that would like a greatest hits concert, but that's not how you stay relevant. Primarily, Neil should play for himself, doing what he wants. The audience merely pays for the privilege of getting to watch him at work.

Neil isn't the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac or Genesis, after all.

Mook, Mr.Sean, mgb70 and 3 others like this.
  7. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Much like a few posters on the Dylan Sptingtime Thread. Schoolin’ us on what good Dylan is.

Mr.Sean, beartrackrecords and ET3311 like this.
  8. teag

teag Forum Resident

Steve Morse was a straight nerd writer for the Globe. I lived in Boston back then and saw all of Neil’s shows at Great Woods before I moved. This show was fantastic.

For some reason I cannot get the link to work on NYA. Have rebooted and deleted and reloaded the app and still won’t work. Damn.

EDIT - got it to work on the laptop.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    ARK and adam_777 like this.
  9. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

see the sky about to rain from carnegie hall is streaming.

SteveFff, adamos, ARK and 6 others like this.
  10. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Quite a lovely performance I have to say.

ARK, csnfan, qtrules and 1 other person like this.
  11. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

A very fine performance, considering he debuted it not long before it sounds fully developed, where as some of the Harvest material he would play on the 1971 tour definitely sounded somewhat embryonic. It's interesting just the different vibe you get from this recording. The other late 1970 acoustic tour album we have being Cellar Door is a significantly more low key gig in a proverbial hole in the wall. That creates it's charms for that reason with an unbelievable intimacy, but it's pretty incredible to hear the crowd at Carnegie erupt in appreciation following this track considering it was a completely unknown song. When was that last time any of us heard a response like that at any gig for a completely unknown song? And it's not even like it was a song that went on to become a huge hit.

12. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Yes, unfortunately, I went back to listen to the rest of it via the app and it is no longer there. It's quite annoying.

13. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Strange, I can still it in the app. I'm rust tier though. Has it been a week already?

14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Yeah, of course the joke about bands playing new songs in concert is that it gives the audience a chance to head to the bathroom or the beer stall. As much as I hate to say it, music just meant more to people back then. To people in general, and to Neil’s audience in particular, I suspect.

15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Dedicated Follower of Hi-Fi

This revisitation of the bad-reputation 1980’s periods of both Neil Young and Bob Dylan right now is fascinating for a bunch of reasons, and looking beyond the picture people were getting from the official studio releases at the time to find amazing music and performances can be excitingly revisionist and revelatory.

As long as you don’t try to wave away the extent to which Neil and Bob actually were for a time wandering and wavering self-contradictory stumblebums who had lost the plot and we’re giving fans a lot of confusing dreck.

It’s all true, the good, the great, and the truly bad.

Mr.Sean, JoeRockhead and bonus like this.
  16. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I can still see the button on the front of the app too but when I click on it, there isn't anything to play. It doesn't even list the show anymore.
    It is still working fine on the website.

17. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

A brand new Concert of the Moment is already available to listen to. This time it’s a Lost Dogs show, specifically the 4/14/1989 New South Wales concert.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  18. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

DAMN! let's go!!

19. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

20. RoyalPineapple

This is a far better recording than I thought we'd ever hear from Neil's tours with the Restless/Lost Dogs.

Gets livelier as it goes on, too.

(The last song of the night is missing from this tape — I think).

Warning! Prepare for ultra aggressive, high-octane rock 'n' roll lead-guitar carnage (!) that makes Weld (yes, my beloved Weld) sound like an opera.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    mestreech, Echoes71, adamos and 9 others like this.
  21. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Wowsers!! I haven't even had a chance to listen to the 1987 show. What a treasure.

csnfan and andyediewatt like this.
  22. RoyalPineapple

You might notice there are huge variations in the volume of Neil's electric guitar on this recording.

Do not adjust your set! That's the sound of Neil causally (okay, definitely not casually) switching on an extra stack of Marshall amps mid-way through the songs.

(As the recording goes on, we get more and more of the full-volume stuff — and the sound quality shakes off a few cobwebs, too.)

23. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Go you good thing NYA. From that epic Great Woods gig to The mother flippin Aussie 89 Lost Dogs tour in out of the way Coffs Harbour. I'd always hope I hear a decent recording from this tour on the Archives.....and how sublime does See The Sky About To Rain sound from 70? Good times are coming!

24. RoyalPineapple

During the quieter parts of Down By The River, you will hear a rare sound —

Ben Keith strumming along on acoustic.

Yes, the electric guitars (Neil and Poncho) are subtle and soft enough to clearly pick out the acoustic guitar.

That's until Neil hits the switch that turns on his Marshalls. I think you will struggle to hear the acoustic, then.

(Assuming it wasn't burnt to a crisp in the ensuing sonic bloodbath.)

Neil has done very quiet tours and very loud tours. But this was the tour where he went to both extremes at once — sometimes even during the same song.

25. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I'm loving the mix on the early part of the electric set. You can clearly hear what Poncho is playing. That isn't always the case, especially with audience recordings. Neil's volume tends to obliterate pretty much everything else.