Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

I have now arrived at Wrecking Ball. Seems like in 73, he seems to want to get that acoustic solo set out of the way fast.

I think it was Shakey that mentioned that he sounded ancient, washed out almost during the acoustic set. But totally rejuvenated during the electric.

PS: second lost tour concert in a row, first summer 87 and now Lost Dogs!

What's next, Crazy Harvesters?

Echoes71, Sigma6, Willy J and 5 others like this.
  2. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Wow! I was at the lost dogs Melbourne show in 1989. Would love to hear that

Twinge Crispy likes this.
  3. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Well stop posting here, log on to NYA and press "play" then... ?!? :crazy:

ARK and sparkmeister like this.
  4. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Although the peculiar mix of the first part of the electric set has its benefits, the acoustic guitar really shines, the fact that Neil's guitar is low in the mix is a bit of a letdown, I was expecting an explosion of sound. Instead I had to turn the volume UP after the acoustic set!

5. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Melbourne is not in New South Wales.

ARK and ranasakawa like this.
  6. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Neil deliberately played parts of these shows more quietly, so when he did let rip it was all the more shocking.

(A lot like the explosion of noise during the studio version of Eldorado).

When you get towards the end of the show, it gets louder!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Echoes71, Matthew Tate and ET3311 like this.
  7. RoyalPineapple

I've written about this before, but in short —

The early parts of the electric sets in 1989 were amplified in unusual ways that might not be perfectly captured on tape.

(Okay, that's the TLDR version out the way, early.)

In-depth version —

For this tour, Neil had his usual two-setting switch on his Fender Deluxe guitar amp (controllable by foot-pedal) that allowed him to adjust his tone.

But for some songs, he had an additional setting (unique to 1989) that fed the signal through a stack (or two) of Marshall amps.

So a lot of the extreme volume-changes during the then-new electric songs depended on which particular configuration of amps he was using.

On top of that, the big Marshall amps on stage added a lot of raw volume of their own — in addition to the sound coming through the venue PA speakers.

Some of you will now be thinking "RP, you are babbling, this all sounds over-complicated"...

...and that's my point. It is complicated.

A bit too complicated for a humble stereo recording to perfectly capture without miking-up all the different amps on-stage at different volumes.

That said, it's only really an issue during the first two or three electric songs — the ones designed to be fed through the Marshalls.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    bigdoug920, WJA, RomanZ and 12 others like this.
  8. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

Quit disappearing on us, fella. You're always teaching me things with your posts. I enjoy the babbling, honestly.

It's refreshing. You're not complaining about the same things over and over like some folks here often do. Thanks for being so royal and piney, Roy.

9. RoyalPineapple

...the "royal" babbling shall continue! :D
    :pineapple::righton:

(Don't worry, not too often).

bonus, Biscuit1970 and ET3311 like this.
  10. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Ironically, Don't Cry has the quote of the day on Sugar Mountain (of course, neither Don't Cry nor Heavy Love was played 4/14/89).

Doing “Don’t Cry” and “Heavy Love,” every night in Australia and Japan, I blew myself out. Those songs are incredibly intense. I felt the effects. I damaged my throat doing those songs. See, people don’t realize how ****in’ physical my music is. Every ****in’ note is my last as far as I’m concerned, so it better be ****in’ good. It better be there. So that takes a lot out of ya. And there’s no way to breathe deep and sing “Heavy Love.” You can’t do that. Have “good technique”—get the ****in’ technique out. Get rid of it.

Those shows were very loud. That’s when I was using Marshalls. I would cut in with the octave divider, the whole thing would just go to **** … There’s a breakdown in the middle of “Heavy Love” where everything just starts distorting and getting more mangled-sounding… When I wanted the big loud explosion, we had to go there—turn everything up. It was incredible. I had a thing where I could change from one amp to another—where I could play along real quiet and then just hit one button and it was the loudest ****in’ thing you ever heard. On “Don’t Cry,” that just kicked in, like, two more amps at full volume, all on one note. It was just big and bad.

Neil Young
    Shakey by Jimmy McDonough

11. RoyalPineapple

Re: interview with Neil quoted above by Harm.

For those unfamiliar with musician's jargon, an "octave divider" is a guitar effects pedal that lowers (or raises) the tone of a guitar.

(Neil exclusively uses it to lower the sound of his electric guitar — so it almost sounds like a distorted bass.)

What exactly does it sound like? Neil uses his octave divider on the main riff of the electric version of Hey Hey My My — that's the classic example.

It's also an effect extensively used on the noisier guitar solos (e.g. Love And Only Love and Rockin' In The Free World) on Weld.

Those of you who saw the Alchemy tour will remember the sensation during parts of Walk Like A Giant of Neil's guitar solos almost pounding you in the chest and shaking your body. That's the octave divider.

12. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

A new article posted in the Times Contrarian goes in-depth regarding Harvest Time, which is tentatively scheduled for 2022. Looks like it will contain four outtakes and two hours of footage from various Harvest sessions in Nashville, London, and Brojen Arrow.

13. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

highly anticipated.

this and early daze are two discs i covet.

14. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Thanks for that! Its great to get some clarification on what Harvest Time actually would be since Neil gave very little details previously. Im fairly excited for this the outtakes could be cool, but i love the footage from Journey Through The Past especially of the band just jamming in the barn. If theres two hours of that kind of footage I'll enjoy this release immensely.

qtrules and ET3311 like this.
  15. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Harvest Time doesn't interest me tbh. Toast and Alchemy on the other hand.

GregK likes this.
  16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

wasn't the time for "harvest time" archives vol 1?

Sigma6 and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

True but the 50th anniversary is just around the bend!

ET3311 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Barn announcement and pre-order should be in the next 2-3 weeks!

borderwolf, ExHead and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Based on what?

ET3311 and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

I'm excited at the prospect of the outtakes as well, but they might just be retreads of what was already included in Archives Vol. 1. I hope not and hope he gives us some "new" stuff, but you never know with him. He obviously wasn't into the 50th anniversary After The Gold Rush package and might just throw something together again to appease Warner Bros.

Matthew Tate, JoeRockhead and ExHead like this.
  21. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

My guess on the outtakes: Journey Through the Past, Bad Fog of Loneliness (as released on NYA Vol. 1), Dance, Dance Dance with Tony Joe White and a Quad version of Alabama with the Stray Gators.

22. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I agree with you.

23. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Sounds like it could be as good value for money as the 50th anniversary edition of After The Gold Rush.

24. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

The two hours of video content says otherwise.

25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Could this set contain the famous BBC In Concert footage that has like 100M views on YouTube?

Timjosephuk, JoeRockhead and EricSwan like this.