Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Barn is still available for viewing in Screen Two of the Hearse Theater

Kevin j likes this.
  2. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

I would like to see his music in the best sound possible but won't be shelling out for a blu ray player as I don't own any other blu ray discs. Bring on the third volume though...does this mean this is being released mid year or the release date is being released mid year? Might be a dumb question.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

You can get a Blu Ray player for peanuts now.

ARK, Matthew Tate and Sis+erRay like this.
  4. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

I also don't have Blu Ray player and don't expect to get one anytime soon. Will be the CD version for me. I'll buy it from NYA so I'll get the HD downloads. Will miss on the films but I rarely watch music films (I suppose if I did, I might have bought a Blu Ray player by now!), and they will probalby end up on NYA to stream eventually. I might watch them once each but overall will stick with the CD+download audio.

5. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Also - if you have any kind of modern game console (PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series) - you have a Blu-ray player.

Maybe not the finest in the world - but it's there. :)

Cheers,
    Paul

6. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

These movies will be up on the archives with RNS and Human Highway there already so in a perfect world it would be great but not going to happen. So more importantly disc 1 Electric Judy Crazy Horse 76...will this be one show or a mixture ? I'm also intrigued how theGeffen Years will be represented. I'm excited to get a alternate A Treasure (or more takes from that tour).

qtrules likes this.
  7. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

an expanded version of a treasure needs a whole second disc with stuff from 1985. or just put out pier 84.

ARK, DmitriKaramazov, bonus and 4 others like this.
  8. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Likely a comp of electric performances from the November '76 run with Crazy Horse.

Sort of a companion to Songs For Judy, an official release, which was an acoustic compilation from that Nov '76 run.
    The acoustic songs originally chosen back in late '76 by Joel Bernstein for a personal mixtape, that eventually got out into the world unofficially as The Joel Bernstein Tapes.

ARK, tug_of_war, JoeRockhead and 4 others like this.
  9. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

This is me genuinely trying to be helpful regarding alerts, and certainly not intending to "plug" stuff that I happen to be involved in! But if you are on Facebook then have a look at the Neil Young Unreleased - NYU group which does not have (or want to have) the more usual general fan content (old videos, photos of Neil, covers, my favourite song etc.) but focuses pretty intensely instead on breaking news, unreleased projects and the "more-serious-fan" content etc. If you set up alerts, you will get notified of new posts. Then there is also https://twitter.com/UnreleasedNeil which normally sends out the big news heads ups. Hope that helps.
    NYA said it intended to send out "app alerts", triggering the red number signal. They did it a couple of times but have since forgotten!

10. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

new letters:

- no studio version of live to ride
    - somewhere over the rainbow coming mid-year "or sooner" (hopefully the other OBS titles too)
    - more release announcements coming about "a month from now"
    - started work on chrome dreams ... whether he's rebuilding the test pressing that was lost in a fire, or putting together a different record under the name of 'chrome dreams' remains to be seen.

ARK, Hep Alien, tug_of_war and 8 others like this.
  11. liverust

liverust Forum Resident

My letter. I guess we will have to wait a month or so for news on this. Was hoping for details on the "60 or so" outtakes, but no such luck

ARK, JoeRockhead, tug_of_war and 3 others like this.
  12. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Regarding Chrome Dreams, Neil says “it will have to be looked at differently. We will do that.” My guess is that maybe there was never a “finished” version if that album. There’s the test pressing that leaked out into the world decades ago, but that could have been a tentative working version.

ARK, JoeRockhead, tug_of_war and 3 others like this.
  13. cosplusisin

Regarding Chrome Dreams, it was, at one time, a holy grail for Neil Young fans, but taking another look at the tracklisting today, I see that it has been made largely redundant in more years. It would be weird at this point for Neil to release an "unreleased album" that contains only ~1-2 unreleased tracks. Homegrown and Hitchhiker, combined with the albums that were released back in the day, cover just about everything.

Edit: This is likely why he's thinking of a new version of it (um, that is, if he is thinking of a new version of it). If it was a parallel-universe version of the album (like Tuscaloosa versus Time Fades Away) that would be pretty cool.

Edit 2: And Stringman and Too Far Gone came out on Archives II. I will stop editing this post now.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  14. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

If you buy it through the site you will get hi res downloads included.

15. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

not according to the NYA post. Hi res will only be included with CD set not blu ray

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. cosplusisin

The word "only" wasn't in there. I think the comment was just a reminder that if you get the CD version, you will still get HD downloads. When I read it I assumed that BR would also get the download. Neil has said many times that every format purchase from GH store includes HD download.

DmitriKaramazov and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. tgdon'tmind

tgdon'tmind Lord, Here Comes The Flood

I am very audio illiterate. I have a stand alone CD burner with an old stereo receiver. Would I be able to hook a blu ray to my receiver and burn CDs with my stand alone burner?

18. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

correct me if i’m wrong, but all that’s missing from that version is the original version of “welfare mothers”.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. zuma11

zuma11 Forum Resident

My goal with all these Chrome Dreams questions was just to verify the last tracklist they had before it was shelved. His latest answer surprises me. Maybe there is more about Chrome Dreams we don't know or Neil has just forgotten the details. I must admit, if they released this as a Record Store Day release with original artwork I would not be unhappy, even it contains mostly released tracks.

20. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Sedan Delivery and Hold Back The Tears.

21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

thanks!

Matthew Tate and Kahunasunset like this.
  22. cosplusisin

same here. despite so many released tracks it's a fantastic album.

23. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

That's what I think too. That bootleg's running time is over 50 minutes, pretty unusual if you consider most of his albums were under 40 minutes long at the time. I always thought of it as a tentative track listing.

24. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Is there any news about the Geffen era albums?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. bournefree

bournefree Forum Resident

Anyone else having problems accessing the Hoffman Archives 3 Thread?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022