Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. bournefree

bournefree Forum Resident

Why have Warner's got in touch with him?

Twinge Crispy likes this.
  2. rjraphael

rjraphael Forum Resident

Actually it's not a digipak. Digipaks have a plastic tray to hold the cd. This packaging is all cardboard. It opens at the top instead of the side and includes a fold out "poster" (6 panel) with the lyrics and credits on one side and blank on the other.

3. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i guess i use digipack like a catch-all for any non-jewel cased CD package. didn’t know there was a distinction!

ARK, bonus, piepants and 3 others like this.
  4. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Sell it to NYA? Did Simon Montgomery sell his Bottom Line tape to NYA?

I don't see any harm in circulating this tape; it's an audience recording from 1973 of which there are tons of (though not of this particular concert), distributing it freely shouldn't upset Neil, even if he were to release it himself, people would still buy it.

PS: he also answered my question with regards to touring, if he felt he would consider that p[art of his career fulfilled if he couldn't tour again. To which he seemed to reply that he wanted to tour again.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    ARK and ET3311 like this.
  5. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

New letters up
    To another, precise question in the new letters, Neil writes again that it's a Nicolette Larson song. Neil doesn't remember if he can have written it or not.

6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I haven’t listened to any audience tapes, how was Neil playing Tell Me Why at these shows? Solo or was it a Santa Monica Flyers full band performance?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. onlycastlesburning

onlycastlesburning it’s all one song

Beck covering Neil for the NFL? I guess this is one way to get around Neil's historical rejection of commercialization. Then again, I thought the recent publishing deal precluded stuff like this, too. Beck Covers Neil Young's "Old Man": Listen

8. onlycastlesburning

Young has never licensed any of his songs for commercial use and Mercuriadis indicated that this is unlikely to change.

“I built Hipgnosis to be a company Neil would want to be a part of. We have a common integrity, ethos and passion born out of a belief in music and these important songs,” he said.

“There will never be a ‘Burger Of Gold’ but we will work together to make sure everyone gets to hear them on Neil’s terms.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/06/nei...ts-to-his-entire-song-catalog-to-uk-fund.html

ARK likes this.
  9. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

They played Neil’s original version of the song last year during another NBC Sunday Night Football telecast. I think it was for Tom Brady as well. There’s a difference between playing it during sports vs selling a product during a commercial break. I’m sure that can be debated.

10. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

Neil is a god to me, and I never thought I'd be at the stage where I wasn't actively anticipating new music from him, but I've been there for a while.

His Archive releases have been knocking it out of the park, and that's where my interest lies now, not the future. I feel s**t for thinking that, but it is what it is.

11. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Much as we'd like to expect our musical heroes to continue producing great works of art as long as they're alive, I think we have to accept that creativity tends to drops off with age. I don't expect great athletes to perform to world class standards as they age & I think we should treat musicians similarly. Of course different humans lose their creativity at different ages & Neil's been able to create great music longer than many other people but I think time is catching up with him.

12. ra7968

ra7968 Chips & Queso

Neil managed to get NYA off the ground at his age and before he left this mortal coil. His artistic output has not diminished. It's just gotten really diverse....Neil continues to fascinate.

13. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Just listened to Barn again and Neil's creativity is in top form if you ask me. I just wish they had rehearsed the songs a bit more before recording but that's another story.

14. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

You’re not alone in your thinking. I’m happy to listen to or purchase whatever Neil wants to release. There’s room enough for both vintage and new Neil Young albums. But I have to admit, for me his archive or bootleg series generate a lot more interest and excitement than his new releases do. Still, I’m intrigued by his new Rick Rubin produced album with the Horse. I know we fans will be doing cartwheels if it’s half as good as Toast.

Campaigner, csnfan and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. onlycastlesburning

New record World Record having some kind of preview tonight on NYA Midnight EST/9PM PST.

16. TurnerTrunk444

TurnerTrunk444 Well "Moo" To You Too!

Not sure if anybody already saw this, but there's also a Barn outtake marked in the NYA file cabinet called "No ****ing Cold Beer", haha and one of the musicians is "Steve Drymalski":

Neil Young Archives

17. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

LOVE EARTH is what the new song is called. Got a push notification form the NUA app. Have not listened to it yet. Another environmentally friendly album it seems (no surprise).

Link to album in NYA: Neil Young Archives

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  18. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Thanks for the link. I find LOVE EARTH to be pleasant enough & I suspect it might be an earworm but it doesn't really grab me enough for me to consider buying the album..

19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’d disagree, insofar as classical composers such as Verdi (Otello & Falstaff) and Wagner (Parsifal) often produce their best work at the very end of their lives. Rock musicians tend to decline so young because rock isn’t a genre that can easily accommodate the wisdom accrued over a lifetime. Rock is inherently about raw, youthful energy, played by musicians who barely know what key they’re in, so it’s no wonder 70- and 80-year old men struggle to play it well, whereas 70- and 80-year old jazz and classical musicians can often still play and compose at a high level.

20. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

If you are asking about the newly discovered tape from the Hamilton show Neil Young then this has been reported on the NYU Facebook group:
    "Tell Me Why is with Ben Keith on steel, Nils on accordion and Ralph on drums
    I Am A Child was dedicated to Scott Young who was at the show.
    Journey Through The Past is solo on piano."
    For the other 2 shows where Tell Me Why is known to have been played check out
    www.SugarMtn.org . If you click the tiny D at the top of the page where it says "prev show" and "next show" you will get the instrumentation and solo/band details for the show where known. But you probably know that.:winkgrin:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  21. zuma11

zuma11 Forum Resident

Per the record store fellow, Tell Me Why is with Ben Keith on steel, Nils on accordion and Ralph on drums. It's not on any of the other Tonight's The Night audience recordings.

22. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i really hope the hamilton show can come out as a bootleg next year for the 50th anniversary.

JoeRockhead and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

WRONG!

[​IMG]

sonnyrock, JoeRockhead, ARK and 2 others like this.
  24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

This is probably a stupid question (I'm good at those) but I were to buy the digital copies of Archives Vol One from Neil Young's site would I be able to put them on iTunes, my iPod and burn them to disc if I wanted?

25. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem. You should be able to burn them to disc and store them like any other music files. I have some on my external hard drives.

ARK and malcolm reynolds like this.