Neil Young Official Release Series 5-8

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident Thread Starter

According to Rolling Stone, an all analog vinyl box set of Time Fades Away, Tonight's the Night, On the Beach and Zuma will be released on Record Store Day.

The first Original Release box was quite pricey, but also top notch quality. I've already got these, so I'm on the fence with this one. The original pressings sound fantastic. But I'll be awfully tempted...

utahusker, Jos79 and drivingfrog like this.
  2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Terrific. CDs, please.

3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Yes, CD, please.

theMess, warewolf95, stef1205 and 3 others like this.
  4. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Wow, wow and wow!!!!

Fantastic news!

5. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Wow, that marks the first release of Time Fades Away on any format in how long? 40 years?

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

Neil only supports the latest technology, which is why it will be vinyl only.

7. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I saw on another site this morning that this will be the only release of Time Fades Away....vinyl box only, 3500 copies, no individual release, no CD, No PPONO.

Mike Marshall, warewolf95 and Bryce like this.
  9. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Ha! Well, now that I think of it...

10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

That blows.

11. keef90

keef90 Forum Resident

Excellent news. I got 1-4 on Gold CD for a great price on PopMarket. I'll join the chorus of "CDs please."

12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

That's just stupid, and will likely make more fans seek out the HDCD that leaked several years back.

13. rockclassics

Not sure how reliable that is. I'll try to find the link.

14. rockclassics

Found the site......

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/neil-young-time-fades-away-vinyl/

"However, true to Young’s form, it seems ‘Time Fades Away’ will not be available on CD, mp3 or even his proprietary Pono format. The record will only be available on vinyl as part of Record Store Day on April 19. Further complicating the matter is that it will be sold as part of a box set including ‘On the Beach,’ ‘Tonight’s the Night’ and ‘Zuma.’ Production of the 180-gram vinyl set will be limited to 3,500 copies."

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Seems" doesn't mean definitely.......but it doesn't seem good.

I looked at the Thrashers Wheat article on this, and there was no mention of CD either way.

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I didn't buy this set precisely because I figured no way was Neil gonna see this project through and reissue the entire catalog on gold CD. I'd hate to be right.

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Probably all that means is that the album is only being re-released at this moment as part of that Record Store Day box. I'm sure it will come alongside CD remasters of the other albums around the time of the next Archives project.

warewolf95 and bartels76 like this.
  18. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

Without more official details, I'm skeptical that this will truly be a RSD-only item. I mean, does Neil f***ing Young have that much respect for Record Store Day? Some items from the last RSD, like Bob Dylan's Side Tracks, or Wilco+Bragg's Mermaid Ave LPs, were originally posed as being RSD-only items, only to later be widely available. You can still find those easily. There's certainly more demand for Young's ditch LPs, but after all these years I can't believe he would limit his release like that.

warewolf95 and Aardvark23 like this.
  19. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

I've got originals of those four, so I'm glad I won't be trying to track down one of these (which will not be cheap). As someone who scours used record stores, I don't understand releases like this, the Cheap Trick RSD box, etc. - a limited packing of previously released content that you can find in great shape used if you search a bit seems like a blatant cash grab. Bring on Archives II and some of the unreleased ditch-era content or 73 shows. You know what I would stand in line for on RSD? A Santa Monica Flyers concert recording

20. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Never will figure him out, all over the place. :)

warewolf95, rd1 and Judge Judy like this.
  21. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I like it. :D

Cassius likes this.
  22. I don't believe it either, it will be limited to how much they can sell of it.

23. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

When they released the " Official Release Series Discs 1-4" 4LP box, they said it these 180 grams pressing would not be released individually.
    But they did a few years later, see http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/neil-young-180-gr-2009-vs-2011.255613/

crassus515 likes this.
  24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

No Pono??? Oh man, I am just so disappointed.
    I need depression meds...............

25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I see Neil is going the "Beatles Story" route with this new set. I gave up long ago any hope of Young doing the right thing by his fans but he owes us nothing, and I guess that's what I'm going to owe him from here on out. Meh, I've got sweet sounding original copies of "Time Fades Away" on vinyl (and the promo CD) so big whoop.

bluerondo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.