Neil Young Paradox Soundtrack Out 04/20/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FrankieFontaine, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

You don't need a subscription for YouTube and everything is on there legitimately.

JoeRockhead and EVOLVIST like this.
  2. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Picked it up locally last Friday. A fine pressing, no issues at all. Nice packaging as well.

3. Feat21

Feat21 Forum Resident

4. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Thanks, for some reason the release date here in New Zealand isn't until 20th April! Glad that it will be worth the wait.

5. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Received the vinyl just now. Packaging is very nice and I am pleased to report that is has the NYA branding on the spine, marking this soundtrack as SRS 10. Won't be able to listen to it for some time, unfortunately.

Sourced from 24/192 digital.

dtuck90 likes this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

****. Now I have to buy it.

:D

7. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

The Paradox film version of Peace Trail sounds quite muddy and congested compared to the more sparse studio version with Jim Keltner.

As with a lot of the Promise Of The Real stuff, it sounds like all the instruments are competing for exactly the same spot in the musical picture frame, and end up clumsily piling on top of one another.

I think the intimate vocal and the deceptively precarious-sounding overdubs of the studio version capture the essence of the song most effectively out of the two.

tms766 likes this.
  8. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I've listened to it a few times over the last few days, and I've got to say, I like it a lot. I wasn't expecting to, either, but I'm happy to be wrong.

James Bennett and Oyster Boy like this.
  9. adad

adad Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    RayS likes this.
  10. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Finally got around to watching the movie last night, and just like the soundtrack, I found myself pleasantly surprised! I thought both the film and the album would be throwaway trash, but they each turned out to be quite the opposite.

The live clips of "Cowgirl", "Peace Trail" and "Pocahontas" greatly improve the film, but to me, the highlight is that campfire rendition of "Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground". It doesn't get more real than that. I don't know if it is nature or nurture, but Lukas Nelson is fantastically talented! Also, they really captured some beautiful shots. Definitely worth an hour for Neil fans!

EVOLVIST, RayS and Oyster Boy like this.
  11. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Has anyone tried playing the hires files on an Oppo via USB hard drive? When I play them on my BDP-105 it makes a weird digital skipping noise. All my other files play fine. Tried 2 different hard drives. Weird.

12. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Got my vinyl yesterday. Great pressing. I hope Neil continues to put on the label what the source of the recording is.

Nielsoe likes this.
  13. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

It looks like my CD is delayed from Amazon.

14. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Bull Moose has shipped my cd, arriving today.

15. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

Mine just arrived from Amazon.ca

16. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Just got an email my delay is only until Monday. So not bad.

17. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Got the CD today, it is brilliant - kind of knew it would be after seeing the movie. Uplifting and heartbreaking. Wow, love it.

18. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Bought the vinyl today after watching the film a couple of weeks ago. First of all I enjoyed the film in a sit back and enjoy the fun kinda of way. I was in no way expecting to enjoy the album as much as I do! It has a very nice listening flow and the mishmash of old and new and covers just seem to work beautifully together. This adds up to being (in some bizarre way) the most fully realized Young album in many years.

Geir, zakyfarms and Oyster Boy like this.
  19. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I noticed this as well. I bought Roxy today and it says mastered from original analog tapes.

20. 29 Melbury Road

29 Melbury Road Active Member

Just got hold of a vinyl copy (EU pressing) as I stumbled across it in the 'master' section on Tidal. It sounds absolutely fantastic but then i am a sucker for this kind of production. Instruments well defined, lots of depth and low end. I am trying to find out what pressing plant used for this.

21. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I’m loving the sound on this album (and the music!). I’m particularly impressed with the sound on the Cowgirl Jam. I played this very loud this afternoon and the sound was so in your face while still well defined that I felt I really was taken for a ride. Just utterly fantastic. Being a live recording can anyone tell me if the sound on the Earth live album is anything like this? I skipped Earth you see.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  22. RoyalPineapple

Not really - Earth is basically a studio project built on the scaffolding of a live recording. The extensive overdubs help add some air back into the overcrowded live mix.

It's a mediore live album but still a thouroghly enjoyable project taken on its own terms (without the "live album" label).

Scott6 and Nielsoe like this.
  23. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'm late on this one, thinking this might be a fairly inessential piece of Neil's recent output, but oops. This is really fun! That 1-2 punch of "Cowgirl" jam and Lukas covering his old man is the clear highlight, but there's tons of other good moments on here. It's surprisingly charming.

I have not yet had a chance to watch the movie yet, but now I'm definitely encouraged to do so.

JoeRockhead, Nielsoe and Oyster Boy like this.
  24. RoyalPineapple

It's a nice enough release, but it is inessential.

On The Beach, Zuma, Sleeps With Angels and Greendale are essential.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  25. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Yeah, but I was only comparing it to recent releases, particularly the other POTR stuff. It'd be downright silly to compare this to One The Beach by any metric.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.