Neil Young readies Pono music service for expansion Part 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

You can ask them to change your status (home country) through their support. Many have done this and it usually seems to work. I did it and after a couple of days I was able to download anything (the country in my profile says "France" now). Give it a try.

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'd like a high quality digital version of Time Fades Away.

DmitriKaramazov, ls35a, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  3. It's how they stay rich.

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

5. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

$700,000 so far. Wow. I am tempted at $300 to test it.

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

There's a proposal to include art in the Vorbis tag format. I know MediaMonkey supports art in FLAC tags, but I'm not sure how they've implemented it. They might be using ID3 tags, which are non-standard for FLAC but not forbidden - the decoders simply ignore them.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  7. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

backers

$720,140
    pledged of $800,000 goal

days to go

Looks like Neil is going to meet his target.

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'd still need to learn how to read French to be able to order. ;)
    It's unfortunate that digital downloads get regionalized. Selling only to people in certain countries. I can buy a CD from anywhere, as long as I'm willing to pay the extra shipping cost. Downloads often get restricted based on location. I hope the Pono store isn't going to be regionalized like that.

9. paulisdead

I think it's also safe to say that Neil would have needed to sink a lot more than $800,000 to get this thing started. How much of his own personal wealth has he used? We'll never know.

10. Further

Further Forum Resident

Herbie Handcock?

Good Lord. What does it take to get this stuff right? Lol

sunspot42, Mazzy and Ham Sandwich like this.
  11. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

LOL!
    I didn't notice that.
    They probably got the tags from FreeDB. FreeDB is full of typos.

Rufus McDufus and sunspot42 like this.
  12. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

I don't have any ID3 tags in any of my FLAC files (all have standard VORBIS tags), and typically use "cover.jpg" as a separate file within the album subdirectory rather than embedded art. However, I used to use embedded art in my FLAC files and can confirm that dbpoweramp can embed art in FLAC files (without creating ID3 tags), and foobar2000 and Squeezeboxes (logitech media server), the two playback sources I use, can show the artwork with no issue. Perhaps this is a hack to the tag format by dbpoweramp. Not sure.

13. paulisdead

SXSW Keynote.

Hopefully the full talk will be up soon.

14. paulisdead

More SXSW

15. I'll pay $300 for his HAT!

DmitriKaramazov and paulisdead like this.
  16. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Maybe he already spent too much of his personal wealth on lincvolt.

http://www.lincvolt.com/

[​IMG]

17. MemoInPR

MemoInPR SeƱor Memo

Wondering if you will be able to download Adele Dazeem's latest album at the PonoMusic store... :D:laugh::D:laugh:

18. Since he owns Lionel Trains, maybe the player should have looked like this:

Toy-Train.jpg

DmitriKaramazov, RomanZ and sunspot42 like this.
  19. Old Mac

Old Mac Forum Resident

So, wait a minute, right now I can plug my ipod into a USB slot in my Chevy pickup, control my song selection from the steering wheel, see what I'm playing on the head unit and rock out to a pretty decent 7.1 Bose (yeah, I know) system but I can't do this with a Pono?

Seems like a step backwards to me. I guess I don't get it.

20. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I do need an ecosystem for music listening and I don't see anyone else offering an ecosystem, so it looks like I'm going with Pono! You can keep your compact discs and your vinyls and your 8 track tapes - I'll be enjoying my ecosystem, suckers.

RomanZ and Laservampire like this.
  21. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

And you don't know what it is. Do you, Mr. Pones?

22. paulisdead

08cb0e1eb6447a2e3aad5617028f5805_large.jpg

It has a USB port. I'm sure you could just plug it into the USB jack in your car and use it the same way as an iPod.

23. paulisdead

08cb0e1eb6447a2e3aad5617028f5805_large.jpg

What's got me intrigued is the use of capacitors. Does this mean vintage audiophiles will be "re capping" PONO players in 2034?

24. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

I just watched the video on Kickstarter. I need to hear this thing.

25. the.giffer

the.giffer Forum Resident

Better than I thought it would be:

-no new file format. FLAC = excellent (if it's 'normal' FLAC' - see below)

-file format agnostic, at least on the playback by the Pono device end. Unclear about playback of the pono files on other devices and players.

-the fast start to Neil's Kickstarter campaign surprised me. Good for him.

Still don't see the answer to this question - will a FLAC file purchased from ponomusic.com play in other players like VLC, J River etc? Can the ponomusic FLAC files be converted into other formats e.g. so they can be moved into iTunes if needed? Will it be like an HD Tracks FLAC file, which I can do anything to, or will it be prisoned somehow inside the ponomusic file management/playback system? You'd think with FLAC it would be totally portable between players and devices, but I've learned to wait for details.

The hardware is what it is - I don't have a use right now for a DAC-lite that won't fit in my pocket easily, but I can see many other hi res fans who might like it. Price point here in Canada with the dollar where it is now will likely be north of $500 including sales tax + the usual US/Canada retail spread we get hit with = gross income of $850-900 to generate the after tax cash to make the buy. Nope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.