Neil Young readies Pono music service for expansion Part 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoptic, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Wait wait wait.

They shipped a $300 media player in 2014.....that doesn't do gapless playback? My Sansa Clip+ that I got for $25 refurbished like 4 years ago has no problem with that.

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Current firmware (version 1.0.4) fixes that. Here's the relevant part of the change log:
    Gapless playback support for lossless files (FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF)
    Gapless playback is defined as two tracks played back to back as if they were the same track. We have add this functionality as a native function of the PonoPlayer for lossless file types only. Tracks for lossy file types (MP3, AAC) are played with no gap added by the player - however any padding added by the original file encoding process that is contained in the file itself is not removed.

My FLAC files are playing gapless. Both high-res and regular old 16/44.1.

Classical music sounds really neat on the PonoPlayer, especially on headphones. The PonoPlayer has a nice set-back soundstage that puts you several rows back from the stage. The headstage presented on headphones is presented in front of your forehead rather than between your ears. It's a sonic presentation that works really really well for classical. It's really really neat with classical. Especially on good headphones. If you do portable listening with headphones and want to listen to classical on a portable you need to try this player. Sonic magic.

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Initial firmware didn't. Current firmware does gapless for lossless files.

4. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Thanks for the update. Good to hear they've fixed this issue.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Can all of you who insist on talking about the Pono player use this thread?

6. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

You realize this thread started before that one, right?

7. Grant

Yup. But, as that one is designated for the hardware, and this one for the music service, why not just post discussions in the appropriate places? I get two or three off-topic posts, but when the Pono player issue continually takes up half the thread when one is available for it...

stereoptic likes this.
  8. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

My comment was in reference to the constant Toblerone jokes infesting this forum, but it has gapless playback too, so I guess you're in. Enjoy.

9. FastForward

FastForward Forum Resident

I'm guessing that since the trolls steered it that way, and that the majority of folks might not see the differences in the two threads (Pono is Pono, in any detail), your wishes might fall on deaf ears.

10. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Eduard Nuijen (Moderator)
    Hi everyone, Pono has asked us to let you know:

Albums & Collections with multiple resolutions;
    We are discovering that some of the albums and collections/box sets of albums within the PonoMusic store have within them tracks or albums of various resolutions. While there are not a lot of these types of offers, we want to make sure that we are making it clear as to what the resolutions are. Currently the displayed resolution for an album is taken from the first track of that product. We are working on rolling out a change so that the most common resolution within the album, collection or box set is what is displayed with the resolution color bar for the album and then at the track level, customers can see each track resolution listed. This change should be rolling out in the next few weeks and help to clear up any questions that folks have on the resolution of albums.

Box Sets

Yesterday at 7:27 PM ·

Larry Berg (Member), Michael Gearhart (Member), David Dunn (Member), and
    Eduard Nuijen (Moderator)
    @PonoMusic Store
    Doug Adams (Member)
    @Eduard Nuijen (Moderator) and Pono. Glad Pono is paying attention to this and trying to honestly rate what we are buying. It can't be easy. LONG LIVE PONO.
    Karl Lee Soule (Member)
    First off, thank you for NOT following the lead of other sites and upsampling all tracks to the highest resolution. (Looking at you, Linn Records!)
    I experienced this first hand with Best of REM 1988-2003. It's listed at 48/24, but I was pleasantly surprised to find 96/24 and 192/24 tracks on the album!
    In the interim, if Pono puts the graphic bar at the lowest value, and customers find higher-res tracks, you will earn a lot of goodwill!
    kinch.3859 (Member)
    @Karl Lee Soule (Member) what albums are you inferring that Linn Records upsampled?
    Karl Lee Soule (Member)
    This is a note from their Christmas sampler:

"Please note: Please note that the original recordings incorporated in this compilation were made at a variety of different sample rates, depending on the technology available at the time of the recording. To facilitate playing this compilation as a complete album, all the tracks have been re-sampled to a standard 192kHz / 96kHz."

Why do that?
    kinch.3859 (Member)
    If you had downloaded the individual tracks which Linn gave as a free gift each day of the 24 days prior to Christmas Day 2014, you would have found that they were at various resolutions. I don't know why they bothered re sampling the entire compilation gift package to 192kHz or 96 kHz, and then being brazen enough to admit that they had the cheek to re sample their gift items i.e. Gratis items. They ...
    Karl Lee Soule (Member)
    Lol. :) I know it's not the end of the world, and Linn has been a strong ally in the HD world. I just hate upsampling in any form.
    Ian Kendrick (Moderator)
    In our moderator conversation with Randy last night we discussed that this whole matter is out of Pono's hands. Is just how the files arrive, Pono are being transparent with this but there might be an impression that something wonky is going on between the files arriving at Pono and going into the store. Ain't so...
    Doug Adams (Member)
    @Karl Lee Soule (Member) my understanding of why Linn made every thing the same resolution is the reason they gave. There are playback programs/DACS that require stopping and resetting every time the resolution changes. For these people it would be impossible to play the Christmas Album compilation without a lot of stop and starting. This is the only way to provide seamless playback for these people/systems. ...
    Ian Kendrick (Moderator)
    @Doug Adams (Member) I didn't know that. Useful info. Thanks.

i

Karl Lee Soule (Member)
    Hi Doug, that makes perfect sense, and I wasn't aware of it. Thank you. I would humbly retract my little 'barb' at Linn if I could.
    At the time I wrote it, I had just moved the album off my player to reclaim some space, and that message about upsampling everything was forefront in my mind. I've never seen them do any other upsampling. I have seen some other offerings at HD Tracks that have, but again, ...
    Karl Lee Soule (Member)
    And that was a quick fix! Seeing all the individual track resolutions now!
    Screenshot 2015-01-16 23.38.16

[​IMG]Download png(393 KB) ·

11. Grant

My question is why an album would have more than one resolution. What kind of funny business is going on with the labels? Are they putting up the first track in hi-rez only, knowing that's how Pono determines the overall bit-depth?

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

13. therockman

I think that this is mostly about compilations.

14. Grant

Still...

15. therockman

16. Stereosound

Here get with the program. From the original Kickstarter production no longer available except eBay as you have found.
    • Pledge $300 or more
      713 backersLimited (1287 left of 2000)

YELLOW PONOPLAYER – First Edition. Savings of $99 off $399 retail value. Plus: Website Thanks.

Estimated delivery: Dec 2014
      Ships anywhere in the world
    • Pledge $300 or more
      888 backersLimited (2112 left of 3000)

BLACK PONOPLAYER – First Edition. Savings of $99 off $399 retail value. Plus: Website Thanks.

• Pledge $400 or more
      500 backers All gone!

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: NEIL YOUNG – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

Estimated delivery: Oct 2014
    • Pledge $400 or more
      324 backersLimited (176 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: ARCADE FIRE – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks.

• Pledge $400 or more
      365 backersLimited (135 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: BECK – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks.

• Pledge $400 or more
      499 backersLimited (1 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: CROSBY, STILLS & NASH – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks.

• Pledge $400 or more
      500 backers All gone!

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: CROSBY, STILLS, NASH & YOUNG – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks.

• Pledge $400 or more
      336 backersLimited (164 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: DAVE MATTHEWS BAND – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks.

• Pledge $400 or more
      492 backersLimited (8 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: FOO FIGHTERS – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks.

• Pledge $400 or more
      397 backersLimited (103 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: HERBIE HANCOCK – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks.

• Pledge $400 or more
      374 backersLimited (126 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: NORAH JONES – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks.

• Pledge $400 or more
      126 backersLimited (374 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: LENNY KRAVITZ – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      500 backers All gone!

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: PEARL JAM – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      468 backersLimited (32 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: PATTI SMITH – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      358 backersLimited (142 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: WILLIE NELSON – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      498 backersLimited (2 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: TOM PETTY – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      456 backersLimited (44 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: JAMES TAYLOR – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      96 backersLimited (404 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: MY MORNING JACKET – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      500 backers All gone!

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: METALLICA – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      392 backersLimited (108 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      193 backersLimited (307 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: JACKSON BROWNE – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      55 backersLimited (445 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: LYLE LOVETT – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks.

• Pledge $400 or more
      500 backers All gone!

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: NEIL YOUNG WITH CRAZY HORSE – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      57 backersLimited (443 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: TEGAN AND SARA – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      251 backersLimited (249 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      44 backersLimited (456 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: EMMYLOU HARRIS – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      7 backersLimited (493 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: KENNY ROGERS – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      7 backersLimited (493 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: PORTUGAL THE MAN – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      275 backersLimited (225 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: THE EAGLES– Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      34 backersLimited (466 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: KINGS OF LEON– Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      111 backersLimited (389 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: ELTON JOHN – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      313 backersLimited (187 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: GRATEFUL DEAD – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      72 backersLimited (428 left of 500)

ARTIST SIGNATURE SERIES: ZZ TOP – Limited Edition Artist PonoPlayer in Chrome. Laser engraved with artist's signature. Comes pre-loaded with artist's top two favorite albums. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $400 or more
      364 backersLimited (136 left of 500)

Pono Clear: PonoPlayer with transparent casing to fully view its inner details. Comes pre-loaded with a PonoMusic sampler specially curated by our founding team. Handmade leather case with presentation box. Plus: Website Thanks

• Pledge $5,000 or more
      30 backers All gone!

VIP DINNER & LISTENING PARTY WITH NEIL YOUNG – 1 Artist Signature Series PonoPlayer. Individual VIP dinner invitation & PonoMusic listening party hosted by Neil Young. One overnight stay at Half Moon Bay Ritz Carlton. (Travel not included) Plus: Website recognition and Thanks.

• Pledge $5,000 or more
        30 backers All gone!

VIP DINNER & LISTENING PARTY WITH NEIL YOUNG: NEW YORK– 1 Artist Signature Series PonoPlayer. Individual VIP dinner invitation & PonoMusic listening party hosted by Neil Young in New York. One overnight stay at a New York hotel. (Travel not included) Plus: Website recognition and Thanks.

• Pledge $5,000 or more
        21 backers Limited (9 left of 30)

VIP DINNER & LISTENING PARTY WITH NEIL YOUNG: 2ND EVENT ADDED – NEW YORK– 1 Artist Signature Series PonoPlayer. Individual VIP dinner invitation & PonoMusic listening party hosted by Neil Young in New York. One overnight stay at a New York hotel. (Travel not included) Plus: Website recognition and Thanks.

• Pledge $5,000 or more
        15 backers Limited (15 left of 30)

VIP DINNER & LISTENING PARTY WITH NEIL YOUNG: CHICAGO – 1 Artist Signature Series PonoPlayer. Individual VIP dinner invitation & PonoMusic listening party hosted by Neil Young in Chicago. One overnight stay at a Chicago hotel. (Travel not included) Plus: Website recognition and Thanks.

17. Grant

I wouldn't say they are trolls, it's just that people tend to follow the other person's lead.

I totally get that there are people who are only interested in the player, and others who are only interested in the music store, and out of those two groups, there are those who are only interested in discussing hi-rez, wherever it is. But, to keep the confusion away, just pick the appropriate thread.

Then, Stereosound above decides to post a loooong one about the player. Why didn't he pick the player thread???

Then, there are those who insist on debating the merits of hi-rez, and want to argue about A/B DBT, and all that crap. They should start their own thread.

18. I'm not sure about red book sex, but red head sex is hard to beat! :laugh:

19. Actually, it's the hi-res deniers that are the flat-earthers, not the other way around.

Grant and George Blair like this.
  20. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

I've never understood how it was determined... Please explain this test of 'flat earthiness'.

21. therockman

This is the Pono player thread, the Pono music thread is over here;

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/pono-website-dedicated-thread.405001/

22. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Oh, the test is very simple...

Take a large set of people. Work through the members of the set in turn. Blindfold each person and place them randomly on either a planar Earth, or on a spheroid Earth as it has been actively promoted for these last few centuries. Each person is randomly placed for some interval, oh say, not exceeding 30 seconds. The gravity levels of the two Earths must be carefully matched of course. Each person gets randomly placed several times.

When the test is completed, the "flat-earthers" are those who say it is impossible for anyone at all to distinguish a difference, so anyone who does not believe the Earth is flat is just wasting money believing in some "snake-oil" hype of a planet...and that only "sighted" tests promote the idea there is some kind of planetary distinction.

23. Stereosound

If you took two seconds to notice it's because I was giving info. to therockman who may be interested to know more about what he didn't seem to know about until recently.

24. Grant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.