Neil Young recording with Daniel Lanois-"Le Noise" out 9/28*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GregK, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aberyclark

aberyclark Well-Known Member

Daniel Lanois gets the low end right on his recordings. In fact, I saw a video interview once where he refers to the low end as "precious". Here is what is is a fantastic movie and album. He also sells all his music on his website as 16/44 downloads.

2. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Neil Young's Le Noise: An awesome collection of songs and an audiophile treasure

For the Neil fans in the audience that are wondering about his upcoming Le Noise this is a fantastic album on every level.

The review will be in our next issue, but for those of you curious before Tuesday's release, here is the review now. This one is fantastic!

http://tinyurl.com/24pltnp

3. Neil @ 32:30 in the Uncut interview. lol

4. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:righton:

Thanks for the review. I'm really looking forward to this one.

5. Wergeland

Wergeland Formerly spanishjohnny

Are there seperate US and europe vinyl pressings for this one? My local shop had the vinyl today, but I decided to wait and read some reviews of the different vinyl pressings.

6. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Yes, thanks for the review.

Found a glitch at the end of the first paragraph:

"... his career could be counted one hand." should be "... his career could be counted on one hand."

7. dee

dee Senior Member

I'll give that a try then. I had been only listening to select tracks. Even so, I had the impression they might be an experience that would benefit more as part of a whole than singularly? Fwiw, I feel like I agree with the praise of how the music sounds or what it sounds like as described in upthread posts, but I just haven't felt so involved with the songs themselves yet, but maybe with more familiarity that will change.

8. tbugsett

tbugsett Forum Resident

I picked up the vinyl in a shop here in Oslo, Norway today. It was a US pressing but no sticker or other indications (price) suggested it was an import.

So maybe the US pressings are distributed globally and there's no separate European pressings? I don't know.

9. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Entertainment Weekly gave it a B and said only buy it if you have memorized the two dozen or so better releases in his back catalog. I bet that applies to most people contributing to this thread!

10. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Very nice review!

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thanks. Worth looking forward to. When is the release date?

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I haven't heard a note of LE NOISE yet ... the reviews haven't been too kind, have they? I'm not too jazzed from what I've read about the album, either. But I haven't heard it, so when I have I'll post again.

13. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Thanks for catching the typo! The record will be out Tues. I've heard the advance as well and it is outstanding...

14. Have it on pre-order, thks for the review Jeff.

15. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

".....Straightforward and direct, the songwriting is equally superb."

This sealed the deal for me.

16. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I'm quite surprised that there's not so much love for this record. Maybe people have too many expectations and fail to listen.

To me, this is pure Neil songs from lightweight to really personal and raw (HitchHiker) with really innovative sound production. I've been playing this at least once a day since last Sunday night (NPR stream) and often it just goes round again. It's not too long, and neither are the songs. Just like it should be.

17. tbugsett

tbugsett Forum Resident

18. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Yeah, this record took both of us by surprise... I'm nowhere near as much of a Neil Young fan as Bob is, but I liked the record just as much. It proves he's still got it!

19. tbugsett

tbugsett Forum Resident

Edit: Sleeve says made in USA. Label says manufactured in Germany.

20. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

21. Bought it today and after several listens I must say I love it. This is really his best since 1994's Sleeps With Angels. Really good songs and some fine production sounds from Daniel Lanois. You don't even realise that it's mostly just Neil and his guitar.

22. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I suspect these will be the same worldwide. Furnace MFG for Warner Brothers, pressed at Pallas. It's not very ecological, but your disc came from Germany to the US for packaging then back to you.

23. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

I am really looking forward to this one. I must say Fork in the Road let me down a teeny bit..lol

24. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

So when are we getting it in hi res digital?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.