Neil Young recording with Daniel Lanois-"Le Noise" out 9/28*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GregK, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

Hmm, the preview article sounds like what I was hoping for - Lanois pushing Neil to go deeper and not settle for the first take, the first impression, and to use different musical resources to get at that expression. Sometimes the first take is great, but too often lately that approach has just skimmed the musical surface. Here's hoping...

- Joe

2. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

You forgot the Elton John/Leon Russell "Union"

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/neil-young-announces-new-album-le-noise-8-song-tracklist

Neil Young is releasing his next solo effort, the eight-song "Le Noise," on Sept. 28 via Reprise.

The first solo set from the veteran singer-songwriter since 2009's "Fork in the Road," "Le Noise" was produced by legendary engineer and Grammy Award winner Daniel Lanois. This marks the first time the two worked together on a single album; it was recorded at Lanois' house in Los Angeles.

"'Le Noise' features Young on acoustic and electric guitars with Lanois adding his trademark sonic textures, creating one of the most sonically arresting albums Young has ever recorded. No band, no overdubs..." reads a statement from the label.

“He walked in the door and I put an acoustic guitar into his hands — one that I had been working on to build a new sound," Lanois says in a statement. "That’s the multi-layered acoustic sound that you hear on the songs ‘Love and War’ and ‘Peaceful Valley Boulevard.’ I wanted him to understand that I’ve spent years dedicated to the sonics in my home and that I wanted to give him something he’d never heard before. He picked up that instrument, which had everything — an acoustic sound, electronica, bass sounds — and he knew as soon as he played it that we had taken the acoustic guitar to a new level."

So is "Le Noise" supposed to be pronounced like "Lanois?" We wonder...

The album will be released in all formats, with the CD/DVD deluxe version featuring black and white films of Young playing each song solo in the studio. A Blu-ray version of the DVD will drop in November.

"Fork in the Road" peaked at No. 19 last year on The Billboard 200.

Young and his wife Pegi's annual Bridge School Benefit Concert will be held on Oct. 23-24 this year.

Here is the tracklist for Neil Young's "Le Noise":

Walk With Me
    Sign of Love
    Rescue Me
    Love And War
    Angry World
    Hitchhiker
    Peaceful Valley Blvd.
    Rumblin'

4. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

I heard that song "Love and War" at his concert this summer. Absolutely beautiful song. Can't wait to hear it on a good recording.

5. GregK

GregK I'm speechless Thread Starter

Why isn't You Never Call (is that what it's called? The one about LA Johnson, that specifically mentions his son by name) included? One of the best of the new songs that I heard. Shame it's not on the record.

6. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

creative differences. One wanted the song on organ, the other on guitar. It got left out. Perhaps it was also a little too much personnal.

7. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i guess we'll have to wait for whatever volume of the the archives that this falls under... :shh:

8. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

That would be volume 5 I guess, released on media not yet invented.

9. beauford1313

beauford1313 The Busta Rhymes of the Ukraine

10. windfall

windfall Senior Member

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I hear ya.

12. INSW

INSW Senior Member

On the one hand, I hope that isn't the best track on the album. One the other hand, I'm not expecting a career album from Neil Young at this point, just one that fits in with the rest of them and has a few great tracks. If that's what it is - Chrome Dreams 2 - I'm happy with that. If it's better than that - Fork In The Road - I'm happy, too.

13. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Song didn't do much for me on first listen, but I like the concept, Neil solo electric and am looking forward to hearing the rest. Will likely pick up the album in some format on the release date. Maybe bluray and/or ipad app if I like it a lot.

14. goldenoldie

goldenoldie Forum Resident

I'm dialing back my expectations but still anticipating the release.

15. tbugsett

tbugsett Forum Resident

16. goldenoldie

goldenoldie Forum Resident

17. GregK

GregK I'm speechless Thread Starter

wow, these are great!! better than I was expecting. I like the solo electric! I could do without the video, though. Once is enough.

18. Fido

Fido Scootertrash

lol..yeah I think I'll pronounce it: "Le Nwaaz"

19. art

art Senior Member

Indeed. Hits on lots of levels.

20. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I've been waiting years for these 2 Canadians to collaborate. Now after hearing some of the tracks, I'm a bit puzzled. The sound of Neil's guitar and the ambiance sound great. Not sure how I feel about the songs yet. I do like that this is a different sounding album though, and I'm glad Neil is trying something a bit different. I don't think he has been this challenging sonically since the 80's. But I really need to hear the whole album a few times to see how I feel about the songs. I also hope Neil does 1 more album & tour with Crazy Horse. From the way he sounds on these tunes, I think he can still pull it off.

21. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

"Angry World" and "Walk With Me" are really interesting with headphones.

The conventional side of me would prefer that these songs were recorded with Crazy Horse; perhaps still with Lanois. The artistic side of me thinks that it's exactly this kind of album that make Neil different than most other artists from the sixties, seventies, or pretty much any time. I assume that Neil can make a great Crazy Horse album anytime he wants to. Prior to Ben Keith's passing, I would have said he could have made a 'Harvest' type of album as well. However, Neil doesn't do that stuff. He makes weird albums like American Stars 'n Bars, Trans, Fork In The Road, and Le Noise.

I just hope that I enjoy the album as much as respect it.

The guy on NPR said it was Neil's "best record in decades". Which decades?

22. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I liked the acoustic track on this site a lot. But....it will be difficult to sit through the electric tracks. I sure hope the acoustic ones outnumber the electric. Those electric tracks seem to be missing something.....like maybe a beat. How about some drums?

23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

How about a melody?

24. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Keep waiting for the band to kick in.

25. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

I'm going to hold off on listening to any sound clips. I would like to get my first impression by listening to it all. My first impression of hearing a new Neil release can vary wildly. Sometimes I'll hate it but then it turns into an absolute classic. Only the best Artists can somehow do this. Time will tell if it's a keeper. I love the Dylan and Emmylou releases that Lanois did, so I've got high hopes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.