Neil Young records new album with Crazy Horse-"Americana" due June 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Les Nougat, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I wouldn't go that far, but it was nice. I played it on my touchpad while making & eating lunch and then I played again it on the big screen.

2. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of his work the last 10 years.

3. JoeRockhead

4. JoeRockhead

I think he usually starts off with something old to get started, but from his own catalog (1990 - Country Home, White Line, 2007 - Beautful Bluebird and Boxcar. I guess Farmer John came from warm up jams like this ...

5. I'm running adobe flash 11.1 fwiw.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

THANK YOU !!!!! I downloaded same, and am now going to experience Neil and The Horse for myself...be back in 38 minutes guys.

7. :righton:

8. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Well its a bit sketchy, but supposedly they have an album done already, one done with a kid's choir, and they're working on a 2nd album.

There's also been mentioned that the songs are "Americana" in style, I don't know if thats the kids album or the new one, which would fit right in with the lyric sheets seen on the film.

Theres another one called "I'm a Poor Wayfaring Stranger" and also a song titled "Ontario", as well.

Interesting about the jam, it starts off with a Neil shout,
    I think Poncho tries to go into Cortez, but they end up going into a bit of "Fu*kin' Up", then some of the bridge of "Big Time", before they veer into new ground with the jam.

After 18:30, the jam sputters to a halt, then they launch into a sweet 18 minute plus version of "Cortez the Killer" complete with vocal, and a nice mid-tempo rave up in the last 5 minutes.

9. Myke

I'd love to be able to access that whenever I wanted...I'd sure pay for a Blu ray of that. 37 minutes of pure bliss...audio and video.

10. Supafly

Supafly Forum Resident

Can we get a vinyl release of this jam? :)

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I thought I saw 'Gallows Pole' on the sheet.

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You're hearing the same as me!

Agreed, but no version of Cortez has matched the 22-minute version I witnessed in Rotterdam in 2001 to end a Crazy Horse show (same show as last ever performance of Opera Star, which was completely unexpected, even by Neil's standards!! :)).

13. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Sounds like it could potentially be an alternate take of Cortez; Archives vol 2 preview perhaps? Neil's vocal just sounds different from his recent recordings.

14. Myke

Well, ya'll relit the old Neil & Crazy Horse pilot light in the old man ! Now that's all I'm playing, or want to hear...

Everybody Knows This Is After The Gold Rush, and that Tonight's The Night we gonna Zuma over our American Stars N Bars. There Comes A Time when Rust Never Sleeps...whether it's Live Rust, or just a Reactor. This Trans Life is merely a Ragged Glory, Arc-Welded Until We Sleep With Angels. We carry our Broken Arrow through the Year Of The Horse, but Are You Passionate about Greendale ?

15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

:laugh:

Nice job.

16. Myke

Thanks...fun with a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning. :laugh:

Damn 37 minute film got me all tingly...again. :help:

17. I think the last great run, and it was truly great, for Neil was "Freedom"-"Ragged Glory"-"Harvest Moon"- Just incredible, especially considering the topsy turvy ride of the previous decade (not without it's charms, but certainly without any full length great albums after "Rust Never Sleeps"- (though "Hawks & Doves" is very good) & with plenty of head scratching sub par work (appreciate his weirdness & sense of adventure, but not so much a lot of the material).
    I'd venture that "Broken Arrow" (1996) is just a little short, but more in length, not quality, and I might grant that one the last great album status- it may be his most overlooked/underrated/misunderstood album as well. "Greendale" (2003) comes close for me, and then, looking on the brighter side, there's stuff to dig on albums that are varying degrees of less than great... but... it's been a long time since Neil blew me away.
    I think of him not unlike The Mekons for me. They are both still absolutely incredible live, and both have released some of my favorite music ever...but The Mekons last great album was in 2000, and since then, well, there's been fine tracks on what are just plain lesser albums, and so it has been with Neil for quite some time now.
    I always root for artists that I love to rise up & surprise us with a flurry of greatness...a la Paul Simon, or Paul McCartney, and for me, to a lesser extent, Bob Dylan & Ray Davies. Those are all good examples of some Phoenix like resurrections...I hope that playing with Crazy Horse inspires old Neil to achieve the same. I'll just be thrilled to see him play electric with them one more time (didn't know if it would ever happen)!!

18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You need to get out more :)

19. Myke

But my system's in here. Preferred format for Crazy Horse : vinyl. Besides, it's cold out there.

20. John D.

John D. Senior Member

If you like Crazy Horse, you need to check out Scratchy: The Complete Reprise Recordings on Rhino handmade. It's on cd, but it's all good. :edthumbs:

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It sure is here...about 10 degrees. But I like the cold. I still like to listen to my tape of "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" dubbed from dad's 8-track...the silence between songs has that "tape bleed" from other channels...I still hear it that way in my head. :love:

22. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

It's fantastic. And the cds aren't even scratchy.

23. Myke

Not Scratchy, but this one, on Rhino, 2 discs in a digipack...

24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I'm referring to this one.

[​IMG]

25. Myke

Mine's the import version. Done researched the crap out of it. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.