Neil Young : Songs For Judy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr-Beagle, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy Thread Starter

Apart from the title track, the cover is the only thing I like about Are you passionate?

2. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

The second thing negates the integrity of the first thing. There are several other good tracks on that album and if you like that cover you must go bananas when you see public domain CD compilation art!

Record Rotator likes this.
  3. mountainmaster

mountainmaster Forum Resident

Thanks for the explanation.

vertigone likes this.
  4. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy Thread Starter

Huh? and no.

5. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Sorry to hear this - I have had that happen to me several times but not on this release. Mine is dead quiet.

erowid likes this.
  6. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Anybody have an opinion on the sq difference between the first half versus the second half from the multi-tracks?

7. Yeah I like the cover too. Perfect for the concept in terms of his opening dialogue.

8. I’m in Seattle and it’s delayed until the new year. It seems amazon is getting a late shipment and I actually saw it at my local on Friday but $8 more.

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I’m in Issaquah and got mine today :)

Mazzy likes this.
  10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Wonder why?

11. teag

teag Forum Resident

How has that been verified?

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

It’s on the record labels.

teag likes this.
  13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks. I wonder if there was no option.

14. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

This release is a wonder at how tracks originally recorded to cassette could sound so good. Also how almost seamless the sound is going from the cassette portion to multitrack.

I debated long and hard whether to pick up this release (the cover was no help). I have all of the pre 76 individual live releases and figured did I really need another. Good price so why not. I finally got around to listening to the CD last night. Before I knew it I was 18 tracks into this; it flows like water. The 2 and 3 minute songs just click off nicely. One thing that struck me with this release is how good an instrumentalist Neil young is. As a guitarist myself I appreciate how he changes the guitar arrangements to something completely different from the studio versions (Tell Me Why, Mr. Soul, etc.).

If you're on the edge about this release I would pull the trigger, it will be my live go to for this period. Even though the cover sucks at least you get a great gate fold photo and a informative booklet.

[​IMG]

laf848, violetvinyl, stef1205 and 3 others like this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The liner notes say an Uher portable cassette deck was used. I think much of the live material from recent Trouble No More Bob Dylan bootleg series release was sourced from cassette recordings. Good cassette decks could sound a lot better than people assume.

Chemguy and Stone Turntable like this.
  16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I thought it was only the bonus Live in San Diego CD that was cassette sourced?

17. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I'm a bit OCD about these things but when was the last time a Neil Young release came in a jewel case or standard jewel case-sized digipack?

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Le Noise from 2010 was in a jewelcase.

19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The liner notes to Trouble No More say that “a good deal of 1981 was captured on an 8-track portable Otari tape machine,” but that “many of the shows [from 1979 and 1980] were captured only on cassette mixes off the soundboard.” Elsewhere in the booklet there’s a picture of a couple dozen of the cassettes of the 1979 and 1980 shows.

20. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I believe most of Disc 1 and Disc 2 were of cassette origin, if not all. The compilation live tracks. They don't sound great, but they sound fine.

edit:
    Too late.
    I defer to the well-researching gentleman directly above this post.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

So amazon just ran out? Can’t understand what the delay is.

22. They were selling the LP for under $15. mine is delayed till in the new year.

Efus likes this.
  23. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Interesting. Mine is a digipack

matt79rome89, stef1205 and Jack like this.
  24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Stars and Bars has a great cover.

25. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

I live just south of Tacoma and my Amazon vinyl just arrived this evening. Looking forward to giving it a spin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.