Neil Young - The Visitor

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Sep 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Since the 2LP release is only $8.92 at Amazon now, I had to jump on it. :cool:

RiRiIII, Jam757 and elvismcdouglas like this.
  2. todd141

todd141 Forum Resident

I feel ripped off because I bought it from Amazon when it was 9.83....haha.

This album has grown on me. Worth the price for just the song Forever. Also really like Almost Always. Great songs I think.

The MEZ, Jam757, JoeRockhead and 2 others like this.
  3. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

In some ways, I feel like Neil is just overexposed, too much product out there. On the one hand, it's awesome as a fan. On the other hand, there's so much being shown and sold to us that he's losing a little bit of his mysteriouso mojo.

The Visitor or the Hitchiker releases should have been enough to keep him buzzworthy for a year. But then we also got the web archive release, Series 5 to 8 boxset including his most notoriously OOP LP, now decidedly in print -- vinyl, CD box, streams or iTunes. And that's just the end of 2017 and the beginning of 2018. I think he had 2 releases in 2016, too. Too much, too fast!

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  4. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

I agree in part, but I think that's less down to "too much music" and more due to "too much mediocre music" and too much media exposure. I think people have got comfortable with "Neil Young the hi-res audio salesman"; meanwhile his music has largely slipped into the background.

And I think it's true that a string of half-baked albums between 2005 and 2012 had led the public to take him for granted rather than eagerly anticipate each new release.

The Visitor is an enjoyable listen (like most of those since Americana), but I'm not sure it is quite remarkable enough to keep him "buzzworthy for a year", especially in the smartphone age.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  5. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident

The Visitor (the vinyl copy) is a disaster as far as SQ goes. As somebody said before, the acoustic tracks are better , but this is not the Neil Young who produces analog bits of SQ paradise like on many other efforts. Something is happening here or happened on this effort.

6. teag

teag Forum Resident

Got the vinyl last week. Sounds really good to me.

7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I just got this on vinyl from Amazon US sent to the UK, worked out at a total of £12 compared to last week’s £33 on Amazon UK. Really enjoying it so far. I haven’t heard his stuff with the new band before.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  8. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

It's now up to $10.07. This is ridiculous trying to gouge us record buyers.

Jam757 likes this.
  9. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

It simply means that The Visitor hasn't sold enough. Good for the customers, bad for Neil. I hope that there will be a new album on vinyl. I think that now Neil isn't recording.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not selling because it just isn't very good at all.

Davido and DTK like this.
  11. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

Not true. Both Peace Trail and The Visitor are good solid albums, especially coming from a 72 year old.

In today's market and based on declining popularity over the years, Neil could hypothetically release an album of new music comparable to After the Goldrush and it would sell peanuts. Just a reality of the changing market and overall popularity, not an indicator of quality (or lack thereof) music...
    NYF

12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I think you’re right. I just got the vinyl ($10 or so) and I was actually surprised at how much I liked it based on what I’ve read. It’s not as good as After the Goldrush, of course. I think it’s as good as Psychodelic Pill and I paid $60 for that. The declining popularity reality is all too true but he is still gaining new fans even today. My 16 y/o son is a huge Neil fan and he spreads influence to his friends. Someone somewhere will always be into Neil. I’m really glad to have his new one.

13. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I was there two days later. Only time I've seen NY live. Fantastic gig. Got to the barrier. Stood next to another guy, didn't know him, chatted before the start. Then this hand appeared on the barrier between us. We were almost shoulder to shoulder. We looked at each other, then at the owner of the hand who asked if he could squeeze in! We both said no at the same time.
    Just playing 'The Visitor' now. Delivered this morning from my favourite independent record shop. My local closed last week, alas. Really liking it. Like what I've heard of POTR. Preferring this to 'Peace Trail' which just hasn't grabbed me.

JoeRockhead and RoyalPineapple like this.
  14. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

My local record shop closed, so I ventured into HMV and they had a copy for 34 quid! Seemed a bit steep. Online I found an independent shop in London doing it for 21 quid. Reminds me why I don't go into HMV.

15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

So I didn't like this much the first time I heard it but listening again today and I'm really liking at least 4-5 songs. Carnival is great, Change of Heart is solid, and Stand Tall sounds like something off of Sleeps With Angels in places. I even like Already Great quite a bit although the chorus is a bit strange. Very nice guitar and piano interplay near the end of the song. Bottom line for me was that $9.25 for the vinyl was too good to pass up especially considering I own just about everything Neil ever released on vinyl and CD. I ordered this with the live at the Roxy pre-order, used some Amazon points and got both for around $17, not bad. Looking forward to spinning the vinyl.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    JoeRockhead likes this.
  16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

And for me, I like 'em both for different reasons. I would give the edge to Monsanto Years but that may change with repeated listening to the new one. The diversity on The Visitor is fantastic. I still wish for personal reasons he would do one more blazing heavy one with Crazy Horse but if Psychedelic Pill is the last we get from them I can live with that too.

17. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

I jumped on the cheapo Amazon sale and playing the LPs now. Sounds like a solid Neil Young record to me. Granted I haven't purchased a new Neil Young release since Greendale (and that includes any of the archive releases). I gave up trying to keep up with all things Neil awhile ago. So the new album sounds fresh to me. I sure like it better than Hawks and Doves! :)

JoeRockhead likes this.
  18. Wow, down to $8.44 on Amazon.com

19. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

Glad you're enjoying it--it's really quite solid overall. Your strategy or choice to ignore "recent" works is sometimes a sound strategy in fully appreciating some of Neil's work. Quite often, a break allows for greater appreciation free of current expectations. Peace Trail was also good in a spare immediate way and I suspect you may enjoy it too when you ultimately stumble upon it...
    NYF

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  20. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Crazy cheap. I just picked this up for $18 on Amazon.com.au

21. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I've been listening a lot to The Visitor lately and it's growing on me. Solid album.
    A 9,5/10 for sure.

22. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

It's a good one.

tug_of_war likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.