Neil Young - The Visitor

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Sep 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Please!!!! Saw them live on the Psychedelic Pill Tour... MIND BLOWING!

ohnothimagen and purple-lazy like this.
  2. highway

highway Forum Resident

Been a huge Neil Young fan since '77 and I was at the Boston Garden show for that 2013 Crazy Horse tour. Neil chose not to do Cortez the killer and I was bummed he did an interminable Feedback thing up against the speaker and he lost me and most of the audience. This was a concert where he actually seemed to be combative with some folks talking on their phones instead of listening. So I thought maybe he was just doing his own thing instead of entertaining us.

3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

4. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

I had the opposite reaction to seeing Greendale live with the Horse, Sydney Myer Music Bowl 2003. Had heard the album a few times didn't really get into it, being forced to just stand there and listen though and it was great, like going to a play. I gotta say, musically, his righteous indignation songs are far from a weakness for him.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  5. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Well it sounds like THE VISITOR is another Neil Young and the Promise of the Real record. Micah Nelson just mentioned in an interview that Neil's about to release a record with them and that they're touring with him all next year or something like that.
    So no Horse. No solo. No new exciting band. More average POTR

6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

POTR BORING

JoeRockhead likes this.
  7. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Hopefully they come to Europe next year. Amsterdam 2016 was extraordinary. Best I've ever seen Neil.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Chrome_Head likes this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Granted... I have yet to see POTR live... but given the setlists they've been dragging out of Neal, and the live recordings I've heard, they hardly sound "average" to me. Sure it would be nice to have the Horse. But what exactly would constitute a "new exciting band"?

I don't think Neal 'growing' with yet another new band at this point in time is what is needed....

tms766, Sean, jlf and 5 others like this.
  10. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Since when were POTR boring with Neil?

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It was a Crazy Horse tour. I would've been disappointed had he NOT done an interminable feedback thing.

GregK, ohnothimagen, Cervelo and 3 others like this.
  12. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Someone should tell Neil that The Visitor is taken already.

crassus515 and s m @ like this.
  13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I was thinking the other day that fans who’ve turned on Pete Townsend and resent time for not going backward to a regressive womb-like place where the Who’s past glories never die are the worst rock fans, but now I’m thinking ingrate nostalgia-freak Neil Young fans who want him to be the retro-Wurlitzer reenactor he’s always expressed deep horror about ever becoming are worse.

I’m up for anything Neil Young wants to do, at this stage of the game it’s miraculous and wonderful that the trip is still alive and kicking. I may love it, hate it, or feel lukewarm about it, but I’m not going to get up on my hind legs and give the guy my idiotically savvy career advice about how he needs to make a U-turn back to some sure thing that’s dead and gone.

14. Yeah I don't get this at all. I'm a big Crazy Horse fan but their 2013ish shows with him were the definition of plodding - I went to a show with Neil + POTR and there was a palpable energy that I thought had been missing.

Sean, Kahunasunset and Quincy like this.
  15. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Until today I’d heard nothing negative about POTR. I saw him with POTR in 2016 in Leeds and that is without a doubt the best gig I’ve ever been to

16. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the POTR 2016 show I saw. But I did think there was a more full-bodied sound with Crazy Horse in 2013 (and the hybrid Crazy Horse on the 2014 European tour).
    It still won't stop me from going to another POTR show though.

17. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Since some SH stumphumper opined it a couple hours ago.....

Sean, dtuck90 and JoeRockhead like this.
  18. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Well if the crowd is sh^t, then Neil will definitely react.
    Second time through Philly on the Greendale tour, you could see him watching people come and go through the Greendale portion.
    Next night in Connecticut, you couldn't get back to your seat until the song was over.

Didn't do Cortez that night either, but he and the Horse did pull out 2 pretty lengthy feedback pieces in Hurricane, and then surprisingly Cowgirl In The Sand a few songs later.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  19. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Neil's exciting. If there's anything exciting and worth my money from the Nelson bros, I haven't heard it.
    For instance, Neil didn't use POTR on Peace Trail & boy can you tell. There's a funkiness and openess on the album they're not capable of.
    For instance, I don't like dude's lead playing, doesn't suit Neil's music.
    Neil playing rare tunes with them is the best part of that collaboration I agree.
    Crazy Horse were absolutely plodding last tour. I said as much here or in a different thread and I got the "What are you talking about, the last Crazy Horse shows were some of the best I've ever seen in my life!"
    Yes, POTR and Neil is a good lively show, but the original music, the records haven't been special yet
    PS I'm open to this being a good record though . . . if it's good I'll say so and enjoy it and buy it, I wasn't trying to damn the album before I heard it. I mean, I like Peace Trail. And, I like parts of Monsanto & Earth

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  20. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Haven't listened to too much of POTR but they sounded pretty dynamic when I heard them. Maybe the suck though I dunno. Every band Neil plays with is turned into Crazy Horse let's be honest.

21. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

I saw Neil Young with POTR last summer, they sounded average at best, just my opinion anyway

22. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

You don't need to like an artist's entire output to be a fan. And any one of us is allowed to tune in and tune out whenever we want.

Doesn't make someone ungrateful; merely selective.

This is not to say that some fans aren't unbearable...but again, if you dislike it, tune out. Don't let them get you down for liking what you like. But disliking them for having a different preference than you? That's pretty excessive.

23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

BORING

24. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Neil needs to tour one more time with The Horse and call it Crazy Horse's Last Ride!

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

neil needs to tour one more time with david, stephen and graham.........and make a final album too.

then call it a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.