Neil Young Time Fades Away CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by goodboyfred, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Yes. And the inner faces of the sleeve were black, too, as they are on the CD release.

I'm almost ashamed to show you the condition of my original sleeve. Honest, guv, it just fell apart and Sellotape was readily to hand! The LP is in quite acceptable nick given the bashing it's had over the decades. (The original inner sleeve might have been black, I can't rightly remember.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Percy Song

I'd still like to see a CD replica of Journey Through The Past but an ORS number hasn't been allocated for that so my chances of seeing it are fat, slim and none, not necessarily in that order.

davers and Kiss73 like this.
  3. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Fab. Thanks for doing that.....its been many years since I have seen a vinyl version and I was beginning to think the CD cover had been manufacturered wrong

4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

My CD copy is out for delivery by amazon. It keeps getting pushed back further by the hour. Usually if it hasn't been delivered by 5 PM they give some BS excuse and deliver it the next day. As soon as it shipped I cancelled Prime since I don't stream and don't see any point in paying extra for late/damaged deliveries. I also cancelled all open preorders the other day. OK, rant over.

5. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Don't blame the driver. He has to take a serpentine route to avoid Neil waylaying him and taking TFA back to his lair, er, ranch.

6. Bruso

Bruso Dire wolf

Ha! When I opened mine, the first thing I did was to check if was black inside. Nice touch.

7. malcolm reynolds

My CD was just delivered. As I went out to get it I saw the neighbor's bushes start to move so I ran back inside as fast as I could incase it was Neil there to take it back.

8. DrJ33

DrJ33 Active Member

CD great, cover photo still looks over-saturated with colour to me, slightly dark. I'm seeing this on so many re-issues.

9. malcolm reynolds

So Neil, how about releasing the remasters for Tonight's The Night and Zuma on CD again?

Neil Jung likes this.
  10. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I bought a bootleg CD rip of this and On the Beach and a few of the other out of print Neil Young albums 25 years ago. Guess I forgot that a stand alone cd version never came out.

Kiss73 likes this.
  11. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Same here!

errant_knight, philly67 and Kiss73 like this.
  12. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

My CD copy arrived last Friday. I was all set to recycle my boot version until I
    looked and saw that it has several rare bonus cuts on it. Well, now....

13. attym

attym Forum Resident

Does anyone have the recalled HDCD to compare this to?

chickendinna likes this.
  14. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I wish, sadly no.

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Neil no longer lives at the ranch.

16. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Well, then, he’ll have to find another place to store all these copies of TFA.

17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Probably released as part of the archives

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i last saw one about 5 years ago on ebay and the asking price was $200.

never actually saw one personally.

19. Percy Song

I imagine a number of people, as I do, have a clone of it. Anything specific you wanted to know?

stef1205 likes this.
  20. attym

attym Forum Resident

no, just generally curious how they compare. One sound better than the other?

Percy Song likes this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i compared my clone HDCD with the TFA in the 'original album series" twice.

once on CD player that decodes HDCD and once on a CD player that did not decode HDCD.

the HDCD clone was a wee bit better (cleaner and more full) on the player that had HDCD, and on the non-HDCD player it was a crapshoot between the 2.

i would imagine this new standalone TFA is the same mastering as the one in the 'original album series"....so judge accordingly.

attym likes this.
  22. Percy Song

They sound the same to me on my main rig...

[​IMG]

The track indexing is different better on this CD - the spoken introductions are at the beginning of the tracks rather than at the end of the preceding tracks. This is the case with the official download from a few years ago, too. Maybe the HDCD was withdrawn because of this indexing thing.

bonus likes this.
  23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Is this new version of Time Fades Away identical to that 2014 version, but available for individual sale?

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

As my mom used to say: your chances are slim and none…and slim’s outta town!

Percy Song likes this.
  25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That fits perfectly with the mood of the record

bonus likes this.