Neil Young - Time Fades Away

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

who'd have ever thought?

those boxes (5 -8 and 8.5 - 12) came out over a year and a half ago.

they are both now OOP.

and still no individual release of 'time fades away".

i though young needed money?

tug_of_war, head_unit and melstapler like this.
  2. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

it's available to stream in surreal 24/194 sound. albeit behind a $20/year paywall, but that allows access to all of NY's recorded output ('interstate' none withstanding).

that being said, i would pre-order a jewel case CD done in the same style as the original four from 2009.

but also, i don't think it's fair of you to trivialise neil's divorce anymore. i have seen you do it a couple of times on this forum. pegi passed away a week ago. "neil needing money" shouldn't be a plot point.

dockofthebay, GregK, TCP and 2 others like this.
  3. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Seemed odd that (1-4) sells cheaply on CD. Those were great albums.

Hoping the other boxes get discounted too. (5-8 and 8.5-12)

4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

These are all OOP already? No wonder I can't find them for a decent price. I don't have any streaming services, is their any way to get FLAC digital downloads? (These were audiophile remasters, correct?)

CybrKhatru likes this.
  5. rjp

i don;t know what you consider 'audiophile"

i do know that of the 9 albums that were included in '5-8' ans '8.5 - 12' 8 of them had already been released CD previously at one time or another except for 'time fades away".

'on the beach', 'stars and bars' and 'hawks and doves' were released in HDCD when they first came out (which was much later than the other young albums on CD) and when these boxes got releases the HDCD encoding was gone.

conversely, 'decade' which was also re-released right around the same time, was now HDCD encoded and originally it was not.

i can't figure it out for the life of me.

6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The box set round of CDs were mastered by Bernie, correct? I'm trying to get those masterings (5-8 set) at a decent price. Happy for commercial FLAC downloads if available somewhere.

7. rjp

do you have HDCD playback capabilities?

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Found a sealed copy of this a few years ago. $14 - had never heard the album, but knew it was rare somehow. Nice find.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  9. thenobs70

thenobs70 Forum Resident

Qobuz has it

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

No, even though I have the HDCD versions.

11. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I don't even know what that is. Assuming another streaming service? Will look into it. Thanks. (Does this service explicitly state which masterings you are getting when purchasing downloads)?

12. thenobs70

thenobs70 Forum Resident

Hi-res streaming and download site. Here's the link: Album Time Fades Away, Neil Young | Qobuz: download and streaming in high quality

I've never purchased from the site but it sounds like you can download your purchases in a myriad of formats. It doesn't explicitly say which mastering you are getting but I would assume you're getting the mastering you're looking for based on the album cover and release date.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  13. rjp

i know that there are those who do not like HDCD, but i am of the other camp. i think HDCD encoded discs sound really good, the problem today is that i don't think you can buy a CD player with HDCD decoding capabilities anywhere in the world anymore.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I think foobar 2000 may be able to.

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, it's odd, but they know people will pay $$$ just to get Time Fades Away from the box. They may reissue these boxes, but considering the state of new CD sales, maybe not.

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I'm glad I bought the boxes. Don't remember what I paid but it wasn't extravagant. Time Fades Away is one of my favorite NY albums.

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, I bought the 5-8 box (I'm probably going to buy the 8.5-12 box while it is still available). They are pricey as far as CD box sets go, but not totally ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.