Neil Young - Tonight's The Night Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hdsemaj, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Interesting...I'll give that a listen :)

2. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

While I think a couple of tracks from Zuma would possible fit into the 'ditch' trilogy, it definately has a more overall upbeat vibe, IMHO.

3. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

reissue is fine, sounds good.

4. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Any idea where one could still pick up this reissue? Seems to be out of stock everywhere.

5. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Checked Music Direct, Soundstage Direct, Acoustic Sounds, Oldies.com, Amazon....and no dice. Must be OOP.

6. Hi Five

Hi Five Forum Resident

Hi,

What is preferable? US first pressing (MS2221) or UK first pressing(K54040/MS2221)? Is there much difference?

Cheers.

7. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Don't know for sure, but you might find that the UK used US metal parts for the first pressing. My Australian pressing seems to be from US stampers. "Hello Waterface/Goobye Waterface" in the deadwax.

8. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I've never heard any UK Kinney LP of a US release sound as good as an original US pressing. A higher generation tape is almost guaranteed so the UK will not have that level of in the room 'presence'. However UK vinyl is usually quieter and the mastering is always pretty nice. So it depends on what you want.

9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Does anyone know what year the "Hello Waterface" "Goodbye Waterface" was removed from the dead wax? I have come across 3 copies and all of them had it... or was it just that popular when originally released that they pressed so many?

All the copies I've come across also have some wavy discolorations (hard to describe) that look like sleeve removal marks, but when viewed from a low angle are not even on the surface. Fortunately after a long time of looking I've finally found one that only plays with low surface noise in the opening track of either side then very slight noise between tracks and in quieter sections after a good cleaning.

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

The original parts weren't removed, they were just replaced when they wore out. When that happebed I don't know. The squiqly sleeve scuffs that aren't look is common to most 1st pressings. They are inaudible, not real and don't effect the sound. I have seen German and Uk pressings that use the original mastering. I would focus on finding the cleanest copy w the original black mohair esque textured cover w the waterface deadwax for the best sound. Lower substamper numbers will indicate the earlier uses of the metal parts.
    Thanks for the shout out Myke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.