Neil Young's Journey Through the Past film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris M, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Has anyone here actually seen the Journey Through the Past film? I know it was panned when it came out and is generally thought of as a rather poor exercise in film making but I'm really curious nonetheless. Crap movie or not it's 90 minutes of early 70's Neil and CSNY footage I've never seen.

2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I haven't seen it either, Chris, although I would really like to myself. As you said, 90 minutes of early 70's Neil I've never seen, & I sure would like to.

3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The inner gatefold of the soundtrack album has some pretty cool-looking stills that I presume are from the film, but I, too, have never seen it.

Maybe it will be included as a bonus DVD in the first installment of the Archives. :biglaugh:

4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I saw it at the local "underground cinema" not long after it came out. Pretty, uh...taxing to watch. The Buffalo Springfield TV footage was cool, though!

Beyond that, I don't remember a whole lot about it...

5. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

:righton:

6. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I saw it back when it came out at one of those midnight showings. Trying to get the ROCKY HORROR crowd to come out on a Tuesday Night. I enjoyed it but at the time it did seem to be self indulgent. Kinda like the Stones Sympathy For The Devil if you have ever seen that one. The Music clips are killer and would make a nice addition to any CSNY "clips" DVD.

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I remember a scene where he walks into a record store and grabs all the Neil Young bootlegs and tells a flabbergasted clerk that "this is my music, why can't I have it?".

8. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I got a VHS copy sometime in 2000 from a fellow Neil fan. If you are a big fan it's worth seeing. Hardly remember any of it and I haven't watched it since I first got it. It's pretty awful. I could fire it up this weekend and provide some details if anybody is interested.

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Was this released on LaserDisc?? I might be thinking of "Human Highway". Ugh, I think I am...... :(

10. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident

I have a boot VHS copy somewhere, it must have been Many generations copied, really rough. I spent months finding someone on the web to trade. Even as someone who likes Human Highway, I found it very challenging to watch. I think one needs to be very stoned to understand it.

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

You said "fire it up," Beavis. ;) And, according to Cunningham, it sounds like this may indeed be the proper way to approach this film.

12. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident

I don't know John, it may take more than that. This film is a tough nut to crack.

13. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Pun intended, but if I'm remembering it right, I don't even think that would make it worthwhile.

Another of Neil's "unreleased" movies -- Muddy Track -- is much more interesting, IMO. I've actually watched that one a few times. Only watched JTTP once to satisfy my curiousity.

14. EditDave

EditDave New Member

I saw it when it came out, but all I remember is the Buffalo Springfield clip from The Hollywood Palace. Was this ever release legitimately for the home market (laser disc, VHS, RCA SelectaVision Disc)?

15. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I'm almost positive it never has been. I know it was broadcast on "Night Flight" a few times and I think that is the source of many of the copies floating around.

16. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Thats where I saw it, if you could call it that. I watched about ten minutes of it before I turned it and the TV off. Unwatchable in the extreme.

James

17. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Neil posted that scene (which I think is an Journey outtake) on his website a few years ago. For those that haven't seen it Neil walks into a record store and Green Eyed Lady is blaring. he grabs a stack of bootlegs and is walking out the door as the clerk stops him and accuses him of shop lifting. Neil tells the clerk "you don't understand, I MADE these" :laugh:

18. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I don't think that scene is in the movie. I do remember seeing it on the Neil site.

19. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Before I watch the BluRay disc from the Archives box, is there any essential music in the film that didn't make it to the LP? Wondering if it's making a digital copy of the soundtrack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.