Neil Young's lead guitar playing...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coot, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Understood.

Ryan Lux and Greg Gee like this.
  2. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Well, it’s a matter of taste. Neil is raw, emotional and has a feel for a song, and he is not very technically proficient.

If you are Duane and care about players mastering their instrument, or if you are George and you like polish, well, you aren’t going to like him. I have musician friends who love him, and musician friends who honestly can’t understand why a musician would listen to him.

It works for you if it works for you, and it doesn’t if it doesn’t. Me, I love Neil, but I totally get people who don’t.

3. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

more detours... the fire returned to Clapton's playing briefly in the mid 80's on Roger Waters "Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" album... check it out. Alright then, back to Neil!

Umbari, Greg Gee and Nielsoe like this.
  4. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

It depends on which record or tour you listen to. His lead playing in the late eighties and early nineties was extremely proficient (whilst also being raw and emotional).

No, he didn't play 5000 notes-a-minute or have an encyclopaedic knowledge of scales, but fortunately this has little to do with being a great guitarist.

A great soloist takes the listener on a journey. He instinctively knows what notes to play and what not to play: its how the notes combine that matters, and what the listener's imagination does with them during the spaces between them. And in this respect, Neil (at his best) is up there with the best of them.

5. Jocko

Jocko Forum Resident

It seems that Crazy Horse kicks Neil into a different zone. Poncho and Neil are a good team to play off each other.
    As good as Neil is on lead, he always had support to help him thru. Only in certain configurations would he be the
    only lead guitarist. This is worth noting. At times he’s really good...but he could never, ever be as solid as someone
    like a Duane Allman.

ARK and RoyalPineapple like this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I love his lead playing, but it really only works for his own songs, preferably with the Horse. Put him with a band of musos and he sounds quite a bit like an amateur. That's of course part of the reason why he always avoided bands with technical musicians, and it worked a charm with the primitive but intuitive Horse.

Weld is his ultimate guitar statement for me. That was his playing at its peak. Nowadays I don't get much kicks from his playing, I've heard it too many times and it becomes samey, it really is samey.

Lonecat and RoyalPineapple like this.
  7. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Absolutely. The chemistry he has with the band is crucial, and Poncho always inspires Neil to raise his game.

8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

There couldn't be two more different guitar players. George was methodical, precise. Neil is emotional and unstructured. Easy to see how one can't understand the other.

9. Fishleehooke

Fishleehooke Forum Resident

Neil's playing conjures vivid images of soaring birds of prey. Eagles, Hawks, Vultures, barely flapping their' wings, yet powerful when they swoop. Literally, if I am driving my car, I always see a hawk or falcon and the music goes so well with the motion of the birds: it's mesmerizing and the synchronicity of it baffles me.

10. Fishleehooke

Fishleehooke Forum Resident

As much as I love Poncho, and I do, I happen to think Danny Whitten was an absolutely transcendent talent: one of the great rhythm guitarists I have ever heard in my life, and a great singer as well. Shame his act overlapped with Neil's so much and Neil isn't one to really share the spotlight. Not Neil's fault, but just a shame anyway.

11. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

I remember reading in one of those interviews Lester Bangs had with Lou Reed where Lou kind of out of the blue says that he really, really likes Neil Young's guitar playing.

As a non-musician, it was interesting for me to discover that Neil isn't considered to be much good technically. I always thought he seemed like he had total control of his instrument.

12. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

T-Bone?

13. arthurprecarious

Yeah. Me too. Clapton may have become a bit boring but he has many fine moments from the Bluesbreakers, Cream, Dominos and some great bluesy solo stuff. Love Neil though and it was wonderful to see him ant POTR having so much fun in Hyde Park last month....

Umbari and Greg Gee like this.
  14. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

What I love about Neil Young's lead playing is that, during his solo he becomes the conductor of the band. Almost more than any other guitarist, Neil is controlling ensemble tempo and dynamics with his solo. It's an amazing feat, and when it works it is more thrilling than anyone else's abilities.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

You can tell Neil is playing guitar within about 3 seconds. If he is soloing -- it is almost instantaneous.

That is impressive. 100% distinctive.

laf848, linklinc and ExHead like this.
  16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

He does have total control of his instrument. Someone mentioned mastery either, well, Neil Young is a master at playing electric guitar like Neil Young - I can't think of anyone else who's managed it yet.

17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

Jocko and TheDailyBuzzherd like this.
  18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I think he's an amazing acoustic player but his lead playing doesn't do all that much for me.

Jocko likes this.
  19. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Nothing can save that mess!!

arthurprecarious likes this.
  20. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Love T-Bone.

21. arthurprecarious

:D:D

22. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

check this tribute out...blistering solo starts at 6:00

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    linklinc likes this.
  23. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

I think he is one of the all-time great lead guitarists. I love Nuno Bettencourt and Buckethead and Dimebag, etc...but Neil's extended solos are just something else. I'd hate to see someone try and emulate them - it just wouldn't work. Plus, he's 73 and can still play his solos in exactly the same way he could back in '71...which is mighty impressive...and something I doubt any of the aforementioned widdlers will be able to manage...

Greg Gee likes this.
  24. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

[​IMG]
    the magic box is still on the road on current tour!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    laf848, linklinc, ARK and 4 others like this.
  25. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

Apologies, I just realised that, of course, Dimebag won't be able to play the way he used to aged 73...alas...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.