Neil Young's lead guitar playing...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coot, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

Neil and the Les Paul BIGSBY

polchik likes this.
  2. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Saw him live with the horse. Never saw a guitar player so into the music. He plays what he feels, he doesn’t do scales just to fill some blanks or satisfy some narcissistic need. He’s got a style, which is the hardest thing to achieve. He sounds like anyone else. Amazing artist.

laf848, NeilYoungFan and chodad like this.
  3. Goat

Goat Forum Resident

I can see what you mean about space.

But technically Miles was in a different ball park.
    Listen to his one take solo's, flawless and technically brilliant, like Coltrane.

I like Neil Young's records but I've seen him twice and he is a terrible live guitarist imo, pretty good on the acoustic but as far as an electric lead guitar player he's very poor in my opinion. Bum notes, bad timing, relying a lot on distortion/feedback.
    Seen better pub players.

Did I say I love his early songwriting.

DK Pete likes this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

With Neil it is all about space, tone, dynamics and tension/release. The notes are secondary. :D

Vinyl Socks and Elliottmarx like this.
  5. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

I thought Danny Whitten did the one note solo on down by the river and Neil does the second wilder solo. Maybe I got it mixed up. Never mind I'm guessing Danny does the very first intro solo on the left side

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

he can make it happen with one string!

Lightworker and Rose River Bear like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

his first 4 are flawless! I don't dislike any song on those great albums...

8. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Laughing at the frat boys in the front row, drunk and yelling for "HEART OF GOLD!" and feeling ripped off because they didn't get to hear a carbon-copy of the Decade tracklist...

Harm1985 likes this.
  9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I think it is Neil. I will listen again.

10. Goat

Goat Forum Resident

Haha it made me laugh this.
    George Harrison who made the biggest cock up of a 30 second guitar solo on live TV broadcast all over the world.

All you need is Love.

Lightworker likes this.
  11. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

The best part of Neil Young is he has the nerve to record the practice session and put it on record as the recorded version! That takes a real artist most people do a million takes of a solo or splice the best parts that's cheating.

12. Goat

Goat Forum Resident

Me too mate.
    100%

Michael likes this.
  13. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

They quickly fade out the bad note in the end of the solo

14. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

You're right I had them mixed up Danny is the cleaner guitar (left speaker) he's played great also

15. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

That first album is great like a buffalo Springfield part 2 same guitar fuzz sounds

Michael likes this.
  16. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

Neil Young was “Grunge” before it was a thing.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  17. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

He bought that black lp guitar and fender amp in '68 for like $50 each still uses both

Dave Decadent likes this.
  18. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Neil's playing for me is in the realm of emotion and intuition. He might not always hit the right notes in the moment, but when his playing is on, he taps into something that fits his songs and resonates more for me at least than a technically perfect part.

His work with Danny Whitten was special- Neil and Danny's voices and guitars had a wonderful blend that complimented the other. Nils was another stellar guitarist (Nils' work with Danny on the CRAZY HORSE album is another peak in the Crazy Horse universe) that helped inspire Neil in his playing.

Stills is technically far beyond Neil, but the intricate playing of Stills and the primitive, searching style of Young find a simpatico place that works well together.

19. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Though I agree that Young's confidence in embracing the raw edges is inspiring, he still did some editing or multiple takes until he was happy. I personally don't care how many edits it takes if they final result is great, but too many fix mistakes when they don't need to.

20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I think Neil’s guitar playing is sort of like Dylan’s singing. You either like it or you don’t, but both sound unique at what they do.

GowG, Lightworker and Vinyl Socks like this.
  21. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

That was me when we went to see the blue notes tour drunk and walked out all blues boooo. I liked crazy horse the year before

22. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

I half agree, Not all of his solos are edited listen to Look out for my love solo it's awful but full of emotion And the solo on barstool blues is loaded with mistakes.

23. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

But of course you'd bought that new Neil album - This Note's For You - and realized what you were going to hear in concert, right?
    I mean, if you don't like the new album, it is a good bet you might not like the concert, since not all records sound like Harvest or Harvest Moon. I've seen the psychological impact it has on people at the end of concerts...usually in the parking lot...

It gets dark, quick.

Lexhibit likes this.
  24. I like Neil. He always gets into it. I wouldn’t put him at #17 on that list (and Clapton before Jeff Beck? Yes influence plays a part but Jeff can play rings around Eric with feeling and has been a better guitarist for decades).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  25. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

True I learned my lesson, But I didn't like landing on water either but it was the best crazy horse show ever circa '86

Vinyl Socks and Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.