Neil Young's weakest album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Feb 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

Just curious what people consider his weakest album.

I used to be a fan but haven't kept up. The last time I bought a new album by him was Everybody's Rocking, which was obviously quite a while ago. But I still listen to the old albums on occasion.

Anyway, weakest album? Overall or broken down by decades, as you wish.

2. RunHomeSlow

RunHomeSlow Safe As Milk

Why?
    you want to listen to the weakest, there is so many good album by Neil?

3. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

My opinion broken down roughly by the decade

69-79/ Long May You Run
    80-89/ Everybody's Rockin'
    90-99/ Mirror Ball
    00-09/ Are You Passionate
    10-19/ A Letter Home

My overall choice for weakest from the full discography is Everybody's Rockin' and it still a pretty decent album

4. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

5. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

Earth

Davido and ExHead like this.
  6. 4 way tie
    Everybody’s Rockin’
    Old Ways
    Americana
    LetterTo Home

Rich C and sparkmeister like this.
  7. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

If I would've included live albums on my list Earth or Road Rock Vol 1 would've been at the bottom (top?). I like Earth just a bit more because at least he's trying something...Road Rock just seems bored.

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. Beater

Beater Bye

Wow. To even give an opinion on which would be his weakest album would mean that you would have had to have listened to every single one from front to back.. That's a whole lot of listening Walter.. I've got a ton of Neil's stuff, records, cd's. dvd's, etc and come nowhere close to owning everything he's put out.. And for fear of repeating the old music\favorites are subjective and personal I'll give you one example. A lot of people don't like 'Greendale'. I love it.. I have both copies, the one with the making of Greendale and the one with the live solo acoustic show.. Love them both for some reason that I can't explain..I can't explain it because I don't even know why I do.

9. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

This is tough seeing as he has very few "strong" albums in the last 20 years. His earliest "weakest" albums for me would be from the 80's with "Trans" then "Everybody's Rockin'" and "Life". In the 90's it's probably "Broken Arrow". 2000's is definitely "Living With War" and the abysmal "Fork in The Road". 2010's is almost all rubbish save for "Le Noise", "Americana" and "Psychedelic Pill". His worst are absolutely his latest three albums with "Peace Trail" taking the cake bar the wonderful title track which is probably IMHO the worst album he's ever made. All I can say is thank God for "NYA" :)

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Landing On Water. 1986.

11. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Probably Everybody's Rockin' or A letter Home.

His last few albums haven't been all that great either, but in my mind they're so non-descript that they barely exist for me.

Jimmy B. and VinylSoul like this.
  12. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Eh, I like Trans and Life myself. But I totally agree about his latest run of albums. I don't find them very memorable at all.

E_Braunn_Fan and Library Eye like this.
  13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

If weakest means the album that I like the least I would say Trans.
    If questioned I would not want to try to explain why I think any of his albums are "weak".

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Rich C, polchik and BrentB like this.
  14. Beater

Beater Bye

Thanks for helping me make my point

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Back in 1996 I would have been able to answer this question by simply saying "Everybody's Rocking". Now with 18(!) new albums he has released since then I honestly have no idea. Because in 2021 I'm in a position where I haven't heard half of his catalogue.... :biglaugh:

16. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Too many to mention. His 80s albums (eg Trans, Everybody's Rockin or Landing on Water) are interesting at very least. Stuff like Are You Passionate? or Prairie Wind don't do much for me, elsewhere.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    No Bull and Library Eye like this.
  17. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

In 2020 i decided to use NYA and actually listen to every album there chronologically. Everybody's Rocking was just so bland and abysmal to me. Maybe it was because it was the first truly awful album after a pretty solid run. Hawks and Doves isnt amazing but has some good moments, Reactor honestly did little for me but it didnt outright bore me and Trans was surprisingly so weird it was interesting. Going into it id only heard Neils 60s 70s and 90s stuff and just assumed because of what it was that Trans would be the one id like least, but id take it anyday over Everybodys Rocking.

As for post 2000's albums I find slightly more to like than most be agree they are pretty nonmemorable. While I think some of his recent albums have some of his lowest points they all usually have a couple of songs I like. Everybodys Rocking honestly doesn't. I could envision myself sitting through any of the recent albums again. If I never hear Everybodys Rocking again I'd still lament that I heard it once.

18. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'll state that most of the NYA physical releases have been spectacular. But, I honestly couldn't tell you what his last 3 albums with new material are. I've seen them and every time it's happened, I've bought the NYA releases instead.

JoeF., Neonbeam and DTK like this.
  19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I vote for Old Ways. Has its moments but is nowhere near as good as you'd expect a Neil Young country album to be, especially one that includes Waylon and Willie.

20. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

So much hate for “Everybody’s Rockin” and it gave us my absolute favorite Neil Young video, the loopy, lovable “Wonderin’ “.

At least I can remember that album, some of his post 2000 LP’s I can’t remember at all unless reminded.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Zerox, piepants, Murat and 22 others like this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

True, my answer would be all the albums after Psychedelic Pill, but they don't count. So, Everybody's Rockin' it is, a dreadful plastic 50s rock parody created to spite David Geffen at the expense of his fanbase.

DaveJ, Marty T and Boswell like this.
  22. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

About the only good song on the album. Yes, the video is goofy.

23. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

HARVEST. Too country.
    ON THE BEACH. Too many honey sliders.
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS. Too live.
    HAWKS AND DOVES. Too Reagany.
    OLD WAYS. Way too country.
    FREEDOM. Too far gone.
    EVERYBODY’S ROCKIN. Too long.

Honestly I don’t get the point of these negative threads. Maybe I’m just jaded after twenty years :shrug:

24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You totally forgot those two subpar pieces of crap that are "Tonight's The Night" and "Ragged Glory". One is just drunken ramblings the other "grandad goes to the Grunge club". :biglaugh:

25. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Trans or Le Noise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.